Awesome, free anti-virus program

Old August 31st 03, 08:08 PM
Ken Sandyeggo

Default Awesome, free anti-virus program

I've been using the free AVG anti-virus program for probably a couple
years now. It runs automatically at a time you set and upgrades are
frequent and free. It has caught several viruses. I installed it on
a friend's computer who had Norton running. After I installed it from
AVG's website, it ran through the detection program and found a virus
that the Norton program had completely missed. It scans e-mail also.
I tried to post this in Campbell's thread about the virus warning, but
kept getting an error message. If you need a good anti-virus program,
this one is hard to beat and the price is right. They sell a program
for networks or something, but for the single user, the free one works
great.

http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index...f4f74d535 82d

Ken J. - Virus-free in Sandy A. Geaux
Old August 31st 03, 10:32 PM
CW9371

fter I installed it from
AVG's website, it ran through the detection program and found a virus
that the Norton program had completely missed. It scans e-mail also.

Um, u do know that u have to keep things updated and well most people dont
remember to update there norton so dont knock norton. Actually norton pro 2003
is the best ranked virus scanner out there. U do get what u pay for, the free
ones are fine but the updates are slower.....
Old September 1st 03, 05:18 AM
asd

First of all, you need to study up on the difference between "there"
"their" and "they're".

Second of all, the free antivirus software packages provide updates a
couple of times a week. Since you obviously didn't find your complete
lack of experience with the subject matter a hindrance to your spouting
off, I doubt that any facts I may provide will change your preconceived
notions.

For the rest of you, just do a google for "free antivirus" (put it in
quotes). I recommend AVG or Anti-Vir.

And why the heck isn't BWB completely plonked by everybody by now ?

(CW9371) wrote in
:

Old September 1st 03, 06:36 AM
James Taylor

Actually norton pro 2003
is the best ranked virus scanner out there. U do get what u pay for, the

free
ones are fine but the updates are slower.....

Not entirely true.

While Norton is great, there are plenty of other players out there who are
just as good.

AVG from Grisoft is just as good in most cases.
Althought it has not always been there, as of June 2003, on Windows XP, it
is just as good, especially at catching virus' "in the wild", those that no
one yet knows about.

I run it at all of my corporate clients and have for over a year now and no
one has had a virus yet, servers included.

Don't take my word for it, read about it.

http://www.icsalabs.com/html/communi...certprod.shtml

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/tests.xml?200306

James Taylor
www.AICompany.com

Old September 1st 03, 08:22 AM
Bruce A. Frank

I have Norton. The latest copy. I have been running Norton for about 4
years. When I switched to DSL all of a sudden the little opening and
closing envelope that indicates Norton is checking the incoming email
quit working. For a program for which I pay yearly to maintain the
update subscription I was surprised that I could not call anyone on the
phone. So I composed an email to their technical people and got a course
on removing and reinstalling NAV involving physically editing the
register. Did that, no joy.

Then I got an idiot who said that my firewall was causing the
interference with the icon function. Disable the firewall and Norton
will work again...yeh, sure it did. OK, remove the firewall and
reinstall Norton then reinstall the firewall. So much fun!

Did not fix it. I had a new copy of NAV, never used full program
supplied with my lap top. Uninstalled and cleanded the registry and temp
files. Installed the "NEW" NAV(a one month old edition) and updated it
to no avail.

THe tech then said that the NAV probably was working just not the
icon...to test its function he sent me to a web site to download a "fake
virus" that I could then attach to an email I would send to myself.
Well, my ISP actually does a pretty good job of filtering viruses from
inbound email (I have Norton for insurance) so the "fake virus" could
not get through to my Eudora email. I cannot test this method without
disabling all the goodies that prevent "port" attacks through my DSL.

Norton does not have a fix that assures me that it is actually
functioning. I am now looking at McAfee. Any suggestions on the Norton?

--
Bruce A. Frank

clare, @, snyder.on, .ca wrote:

On 31 Aug 2003 21:32:37 GMT, (CW9371) wrote:

fter I installed it from
AVG's website, it ran through the detection program and found a virus
that the Norton program had completely missed. It scans e-mail also.

Um, u do know that u have to keep things updated and well most people dont
remember to update there norton so dont knock norton. Actually norton pro 2003
is the best ranked virus scanner out there. U do get what u pay for, the free
ones are fine but the updates are slower.....

Personally, I like McAfee better than Norton. It is less intrusive and
in it's default configuration REMOVES files it cannot clean, rather
than the innocuous"quarantine" which can leave an active virus file on
the computer.

All the way around I find Symantec (Norton) to be hard to deal with.
Their support, when required, sucks. They have the attitude that they
don't make mistakes, so if you have a problem it is something YOU are
doing wrong.

Things have changed a lot since Peter Norton is out of the picture.

McAfee and Norton are very similar in price

Old September 1st 03, 01:37 PM
Warren & Nancy

asd wrote:

And why the heck isn't BWB completely plonked by everybody by now ?

Because once in a while he comes up with a goody or two. My favorite is the
"soaring with the birds" story of a few years ago.

Warren

Old September 1st 03, 04:21 PM
Kevin Horton

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003 09:37:34 -0400, Warren & Nancy wrote:

asd wrote:

And why the heck isn't BWB completely plonked by everybody by now ?

Because once in a while he comes up with a goody or two. My favorite is
the "soaring with the birds" story of a few years ago.

Warren

I figure if he ever again posts something worthwhile someone will be sure
to comment on it, and I'll see that. So there is no downside to just
plonking him.

--
Kevin Horton RV-8 (finishing kit)
Ottawa, Canada

Old September 1st 03, 05:29 PM
Warren & Nancy

Ken Sandyeggo wrote:

U, U should reread my post where I said I ran the AVG and it found a
virus that the Norton never found and my friend had a current version.
And, the user is notified automatically when a segmment of the system
needs to be upgraded by AVG. You're saying that people forget to
upgrade their Norton, and I'm telling you that the user is
automatically notified of the AVG upgrades.

Norton can be configured to update itsel.

Now if you think that
paying a hefty sum for a virus program that doesn't find viruses that
the free AVG one does and you have to remember to upgrade on your own
where the AVG system notifies the user, then I have a bridge I'd like
to sell you. I'd say that clearly, in this case, you didn't get what
you paid for....the free AVG system appears to be better at finding
viruses and reminding of updates than Norton.

I haven't paid anything but sales tax for NAV for a cou;le of years. I upgraded this year with
Quicken and TurboTax, and didn't pay anything but sales tax for any of the three.

I used Norton a few
years ago, and the best thing it was capable of was locking up my
computer.

NAV locked up the computer. Hmmmm! Hasn't happened to me yet. rap rap rap (knock on wood)

An easy test is to install the free AVG system and see
which performs better.

Ken J. - SDCAUSA

Old September 1st 03, 06:23 PM
Jay Honeck

Norton does not have a fix that assures me that it is actually
functioning. I am now looking at McAfee. Any suggestions on the Norton?

Blame Bill Gates!

Hey, it works for everything (and everyone) else on the is newsgroup!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA