Fading Signal: The Neglect of Electronic Warfare.

Old April 16th 08, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
tankfixer

Default Fading Signal: The Neglect of Electronic Warfare.

In article 25be0da4-ab1b-45a1-9050-64e90dcf360d@
1g2000prg.googlegroups.com, says...
On Feb 16, 7:37 am, Mike wrote:
Fading Signal: The Neglect of Electronic Warfare.
Lexington Institute.
http://lexingtoninstitute.org/1223.shtml

When you consider how much money Americans spend on defense -- about
$4 trillion so far in this decade alone -- it's amazing what a poor
job we do of maintaining our military arsenal. In the years since the
cold war ended, the Navy's fleet has shrunk by half to fewer than 300
ships, the Air Force's planes have "matured" to twice the age of the
commercial airline fleet, and the Army has largely abandoned the
production of heavy armored vehicles. There's a simple reason for all
these signs of military decay: the threat went away. No peer
adversary has taken the place of the Red Army or the Imperial Navy.

I note that the USN Grumman EA-6B is being used to create a jammed
space around ground US patrols in Iraq.

Where did you rear that ?

The jamming prevents the detonation of improvised explosive devices.
Presumably highly directional
electronically shaped antenna create temporal grace around the patrol.

The USAF apparently can't do this mission due to the degradation of
this type of aircraft.

They guy in the aircraft may very well be USAF.
The Ea-6B are dual crewed since the EF-111 went away.

The money is going into the occupation of Iraq. Eventually advanced
tech will be needed, maybe to
protect Taiwan for a little longer from a rapidly empowering China.

--

"Oh Norman, listen! The loons are calling!"
- Katherine Hepburn, "On Golden Pond"
Old April 16th 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Mike Kanze

They guy in the aircraft may very well be USAF. The Ea-6B are dual crewed since the EF-111 went away.

I thought the USN reverted its three or four expeditionary ("purple") EA-6B squadrons back to "fleet" (USN only) outfits not too long ago, due to the aging of this National Asset platform and the need to conserve the remaining good airframes until the EF-18G Growler comes on line. If so, then the USMC Prowlers have become the only EA-6Bs primarily land-based or "expeditionary."

I might be wrong, though...

--
Mike Kanze

"Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure."

- Mark Skousen

Old April 25th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval

On Apr 8, 10:41*pm, Mike Williamson
* * And the Air Force had to walk from electronic warfare.
* * Since the idiots still don't understand that nothing is as
* * stealthy as an electonic Satellite.. Since the "Radar"
* * the idiots are evading, isn't radar, it's the media.

* *I hate to interrupt a good show of rhetoric, but the Air Force
hasn't "had to walk from" electronic warfare,

That's simple to understand why, since the air force idiots
are the perfect students of *rhetoric*, and redefine "electric"
"electronic" and "warfare" and "force" and "air" and "radar"
as they go along. Which is mostly why Digital, GPS, Cruise Missles,
Laser-guided Bombs, Internet, and Drones were developed
for the cranks.

as we still have
a dedicated electronic attack platform, that has been deployed
for the last 4 years and counting- an online base "paper" article
noted one of the two deployed squadrons passing the 10,000th combat
flight hour associated with that deployment in January of
last year.

* *As to the rest of the paragraph- *what??

Mike

CG(X) And The Future Of Naval Warfare. Mike[_1_] Naval Aviation 0 December 14th 07 06:28 PM
GAO: Electronic Warfa Comprehensive Strategy Needed for Suppressing Enemy Mike Naval Aviation 0 December 27th 05 07:23 PM
GPS - losing signal Hilton Piloting 6 October 23rd 05 07:18 PM
Fading Rocker Switches O. Sami Saydjari Owning 2 February 16th 04 04:54 PM
asymetric warfare phil hunt Military Aviation 505 January 23rd 04 01:31 AM