Soon UAVs Will Be Unable To Escape NTSB Scrutiny

Old April 7th 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Soon UAVs Will Be Unable To Escape NTSB Scrutiny

NTSB: SAFER FLYING BY REPORTING UAV ACCIDENTS

(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#197538)
The NTSB is proposing changes to regulations that concern
reporting and notification with regard to aircraft incidents,
accidents, or collisions, because they currently do not adequately
cover unmanned aircraft. The notice of proposed rulemaking
(http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-6393.htm) seeks comment
prior to July and suggests that the definition of "aircraft
accident" be made to include "unmanned aircraft accident."
Specifically, revisions would be made to 49 CFR part 830 to cover
unmanned aircraft for the period starting from the time the
vehicle is activated and concluding when the vehicle is
deactivated. A UAV accident would be indicated by any person
suffering death or serious injury, or substantial damage done to
the aircraft while it is in operation. These additions, says
the NTSB, "will enhance aviation safety by providing the NTSB with
notification" of the aforementioned events.

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-6393.htm
The NTSB proposes to add the definition of ``Unmanned aircraft
accident'' by adding the following text: ``Unmanned aircraft
accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of a
public or civil unmanned aircraft that takes place between the
time that the aircraft is activated with the purpose of flight and
the time that the aircraft is deactivated at the conclusion of its
mission, in which any person suffers death or serious injury, or
in which the aircraft receives substantial damage.'' The NTSB also
proposes to add a brief reference at the end of the existing
definition of ``aircraft accident'' in section 830.2, which will
state: ``For purposes of this part, the definition of `aircraft
accident' includes `unmanned aircraft accident,' as defined
herein.''

DATES: Submit comments on or before June 30, 2008.

You may send written comments to the Government-wide rulemaking
Web site: Go to

http://www.regulations.gov/fdmspubli...00006480414878
and follow the instructions for sending your comments
electronically. Document ID NTSB-2008-0004-0001

Old April 8th 08, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-6393.htm
The NTSB proposes to add the definition of ``Unmanned aircraft
accident'' by adding the following text: ``Unmanned aircraft
accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of a
public or civil unmanned aircraft that takes place between the

Do they define "unmanned aircraft?? Because I'd hate to have to fill out
a report everytime I crashed my RC helicopter.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happens to be is like
Old April 8th 08, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Apr 7, 9:35 pm, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
[..]
"Posting at the top because that's where the cursor happens to be is like
****ting in your pants because that's where your asshole happened to be."
- Andreas Prilop takes OE top posters to task.

Classic!
Old April 8th 08, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 01:35:19 +0000 (UTC),
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

In a previous article, Larry Dighera said:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2008/E8-6393.htm
The NTSB proposes to add the definition of ``Unmanned aircraft
accident'' by adding the following text: ``Unmanned aircraft
accident means an occurrence associated with the operation of a
public or civil unmanned aircraft that takes place between the

Do they define "unmanned aircraft?? Because I'd hate to have to fill out
a report everytime I crashed my RC helicopter.

You and me both, Paul. :-)

Isn't the definition among the documents in the links I provided?