Glider Recommendations

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 23rd 11, 06:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bravovictor

Default Glider Recommendations

On May 23, 9:57*am, BobW wrote:
On 5/22/2011 11:19 PM, Justrolln wrote:

Thanks for the posts-

I'd rather not buy a grob - as that is ship I'm training in... and I
think I can do a bit better than the grobs performance - especially if
I get a single place glider. *(if i need a 2 place, I can rent one
from my field.)

I know that dealing with the FAA and getting hand controls installed
might (will) be a pain - however, I don't think I should settle for a
lesser glider because of my disability. *If things get out of hand,
I'm sure a letter from a good lawyer talking about discrimination and
the ADA will help things along... *Nevertheless, an 'experimental'
glider wouldn't be a bad thing in my situation...

For this discussion, let's assume that getting hand controls installed
isn't going to be a problem. What I'm mainly interested in is, if you
had about $50,000 to spend on a glider (and were a decent sized-large
guy interested in contests and cross country), what would it be, and
why.
I'm particularly interested in any non-flap gliders that I haven't
mentioned (the more I fly, I don't think flaps would be a big issue
but it'd be nice to know the options out there.)

Thanks again

The following is old information, but possibly of 'encouragement use' in any
event.

Some time ago (~15 years?) I encountered a hand-control-equipped AS W-24 flown
by a paraplegic male, then based out of Jackson Hole, WY. Unfortunately I
don't remember his name, nor the ship's registration category (e.g.
'Experimental'). It did not have a sustainer; he did fly it XC (though he
sought to land only on airports to minimize heat-related retrieve issues); he
depended upon a cell phone for retrieve calls.

Best of luck!

Bob W.

I have a phone # that I assume is still good for this person. Email
me off list to rbackermaiatyahoo .

Bob