New Transponder Code (1202) for Gliders (Effective Feb 9, 2012)

Old May 25th 11, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

Default New Transponder Code (1202) for Gliders (Effective Feb 9, 2012)

On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:58:02 PM UTC-7, zulu wrote:
Since the inclusion of TCAS equipment, line pilots (for the most part)
look out the window even less. The thinking being if it’s out there,
I’ll either catch it on TCAS or ATC will tell me about it.
In ATC land, if the radar scope does not show an alpha/numeric symbol
in conjunction with a target, it’s highly unlikely the controller will
see it and subsequently issue it as traffic.

Sure would be nice to figure out how to give all these folks a reality check before some metal, plastic, or bodies get bent :-(

-Tom
Old May 25th 11, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On May 24, 9:01*pm, 5Z wrote:
On Tuesday, May 24, 2011 2:58:02 PM UTC-7, zulu wrote:
Since the inclusion of TCAS equipment, line pilots (for the most part)
look out the window even less. *The thinking being if it’s out there,
I’ll either catch it on TCAS or ATC will tell me about it.
In ATC land, if the radar scope does not show an alpha/numeric symbol
in conjunction with a target, it’s highly unlikely the controller will
see it and subsequently issue it as traffic.

Sure would be nice to figure out how to give all these folks a reality check before some metal, plastic, or bodies get bent :-(

-Tom

Locally we had a couple of tours of Denver ARTCC. I opted for the
later tour with the hope of catching 1201 on the screens. Sure
enough, 1201 w/altitude. We were able to watch the pilot bimble about
in evens for a while, then gradually descend. As we had to keep
moving, I only watched until he reached pattern entry. Like to visit
there some day when there are 20 or more 1201 codes flying along the
Front Range, but they don't have tours on weekends.

Frank Whiteley
Old May 25th 11, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

On 5/24/2011 10:18 PM, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On May 24, 9:01 pm, wrote:
[...]

What was the attitude of the controllers? Where they vectoring VFR
traffic around the gliders, or just issuing traffic advisories?

--
Mike Schumann