Automatic boundary calculation on www.soaringdata.info

Old June 30th 11, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Automatic boundary calculation on www.soaringdata.info

On Jun 26, 8:45*pm, 2KA wrote:
I’ve implemented a rather esoteric little feature on my US airport
data website athttp://www.soaringdata.info, which may only be of
interest to one or two of you. *But for those one or two…

Instead of having to specify bounding information directly by putting
in a center point and radius, you can now just upload a turnpoint file
(assuming you have one) and let the system calculate the bounding
information for you. * After you load your *tunrpoint file, select
“Compute a bounding polygon for adding airports” from the drop-down
menu under step #2.

The system will find a polygon that includes all of the points in the
input file – not just a circle or rectangle – and or update all
airports in or near that polygon to the output file. *“Near” currently
means within 30 nm of a side. *If you request an airspace file, the
included airspace will cover the bounded area.

The idea is that you can quickly update your current turnpoint file
(in .CUP format) or one from the Soaring Turnpoint Exchange (in .STX
format). *Remember that my site currently supports just those two
input formats, although there are more choices for the output format
including Cambridge .DAT, Nadler format for the SN-10, and KML format
for Google Earth.

I guess I did this mostly because it was fun and challenging to
program, but I hope it is useful to a few of you.

Happy Downloading
Lynn Alley
“2KA”

This is an excellent improvement. Thank you A LOT!