Paper Maps - Glideplan alternative ?

Old May 29th 12, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Paper Maps - Glideplan alternative ?

Hi All - I need to prepare paper maps for the upcoming
Minden and Montague contests. I purchased a copy of
GlidePlan last year (?), but GlidePlan seems to be no
longer supported (emails to the author yield no reply)
and there are no map updates on the web site for this
year...

Any suggestions ? Ideally something that helps with
marking of turnpoints and with a more capable UI
than GlidePlan ?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave "YO electric"

Old May 30th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

I concur, Jim's maps are great. He has provided maps of Idaho's Lost River
Mountain Range for those of us who fly out of Mackay and the King Mountain
Glider Park.

Old May 30th 12, 04:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Suter

I just downloaded two up to date sectionals from the Glideplan site. So that's being actively supported.

Maybe Matt went soaring for Memorial Day Weekend.

Larry
Old May 30th 12, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:50:05 PM UTC-4, Larry Suter wrote:
I just downloaded two up to date sectionals from the Glideplan site. So that's being actively supported.

Maybe Matt went soaring for Memorial Day Weekend.

Larry

Unfortunately if you cross sectionals you're going to have a problem. I've tried to import multiple sectionals and GlidePlan does not support this.

emails to Matt have gone unanswered for months...

Any other ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave
Old May 30th 12, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt McKrell

On May 30, 10:13*am, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Tuesday, May 29, 2012 11:50:05 PM UTC-4, Larry Suter wrote:
I just downloaded two up to date sectionals from the Glideplan site. So that's being actively supported.

Maybe Matt went soaring for Memorial Day Weekend.

Larry

Unfortunately if you cross sectionals you're going to have a problem. I've tried to import multiple sectionals and GlidePlan does not support this.

emails to Matt have gone unanswered for months...

Any other ideas ?

Thanks in advance,
Best Regards, Dave

I've had very good luck using the globalmapper program that has now
become
this company:

http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/global-mapper/

With the free demo version I've been able to import 4 sectionals
(which are
automatically stitched together) and place turnpoint markers on the
map,
and then print out the results. Make sure to print out the part of
the sectional
that shows currency so you have a legal sectional. The US sectional
charts
are available for free now at:

http://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=aer...chartlist_sect

-- Matt