Free Checkride / Free Room at Marfa, southwest Texas

Old December 4th 12, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Free Checkride / Free Room at Marfa, southwest Texas

On Friday, November 30, 2012 7:45:32 PM UTC-5, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
From now to March 31, 2013, I'm offering free checkrides for FAA Glider (Private / Commercial applicants, add-on or initial) and CFI-Glider add-on's, renewals and reinstatements.

It occurs to me that many student pilots and transition pilots need to simply FINISH what they started, so here is the offer: FREE checkride means FREE tows and ASK-21 glider rental for the checkride flights. NO examiner fee. This offer does NOT involve any shortcuts. Your checkride (Practical Test) will be comprehensive and by the book -- the FAA Practical Test Standards for the rating sought. You can take additional training with us at Marfa or arrive with the FAR part 61 requirements met and your endorsements -- or we can help you finish here.

Applicants for the checkride can stay for FREE in my two bedroom guest house with kitchen and dining/study area, next to my home, just 3 miles from Marfa Airport (KMRF.) Total savings for the checkride and room could be about $1,000.

I'm hoping that my offer may help grow soaring and motivate you to finish that glider rating or renew your CFIG. Offer begins December 1 and expires March 31, 2013. First come-first served. Marfa is located southeast of El Paso on a grassy plateau (5,000' above sea level) near the scenic Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. Airlines serve El Paso (ELP) and Midland (MAF) airports.

Send me your contact information and I'll respond PRIVATELY with more details and answers to your questions. "Someday" is NOW.

Burt Compton

Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, Texas

Way to go Burt!!!!
I wish you were still in Miami!!!
Again thanks for your kind offer it goes above and beyond!
Best regards from your old neighborhood!
Enrique
KO
Old December 6th 12, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

In the summer of 2011 my wife and I travelled from our home in Florida to a wedding in Kansas City followed by a week in the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. Since Michelle had never been to the Southwest U.S. I convinced (connived?) her to head south to El Paso on our route home. Once she bought into that idea I was able to schedule some dual with Burt at Marfa. I had an absolutely wonderful time flying with Burt. I have flown power since 1983 and gliders only recently but have flown with a number of instructors over the years and will tell you that Burt is an OUTSTANDING Instructor. He was fun to fly with and his sailplanes were either brand new or appeared to be brand new, they were so well maintained. If an unsolicited testimonial from a fellow pilot carries any weight, I hope this while be helpful to you. If I didn't already have my rating, I would jump on this opportunity.
Old December 8th 12, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, November 30, 2012 5:45:32 PM UTC-7, Burt Compton - Marfa wrote:
From now to March 31, 2013, I'm offering free checkrides for FAA Glider (Private / Commercial applicants, add-on or initial) and CFI-Glider add-on's, renewals and reinstatements. It occurs to me that many student pilots and transition pilots need to simply FINISH what they started, so here is the offer: FREE checkride means FREE tows and ASK-21 glider rental for the checkride flights. NO examiner fee. This offer does NOT involve any shortcuts. Your checkride (Practical Test) will be comprehensive and by the book -- the FAA Practical Test Standards for the rating sought. You can take additional training with us at Marfa or arrive with the FAR part 61 requirements met and your endorsements -- or we can help you finish here. Applicants for the checkride can stay for FREE in my two bedroom guest house with kitchen and dining/study area, next to my home, just 3 miles from Marfa Airport (KMRF.) Total savings for the checkride and room could be about $1,000. I'm hoping that my offer may help grow soaring and motivate you to finish that glider rating or renew your CFIG. Offer begins December 1 and expires March 31, 2013. First come-first served. Marfa is located southeast of El Paso on a grassy plateau (5,000' above sea level) near the scenic Davis Mountains and Big Bend National Park. Airlines serve El Paso (ELP) and Midland (MAF) airports. Send me your contact information and I'll respond PRIVATELY with more details and answers to your questions. "Someday" is NOW. Burt Compton Marfa Gliders Soaring Center, Texas

Hello Burt. I am an 800 hour private pilot, I am 56 years old, retired and working as an appretince aircraft mechanic here in Canon Colorado. I fly a 1947 Piper Super Cruiser PA-12 that I restored. I have towed sailplanes for two seasons with my Cruiser. I also own a 1976 Cirrus Standard sailplane and have been trying to get my glider endorsement with Mile High Gliding as well as The Black forrest Glider club. I have soloed a 233 Schwiezer sailplane at least 25 times and am ready to get that checkride. If you can help me obtain it I would be very grateful. Thanks for your consideration. Randy White
Old December 15th 12, 09:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Greetings from west Texas. I've received dozens of inquiries and I now have a response file to e-mail that lays out the checkride details and my availability now to March 31. I'm getting booked up although I will take two applicants a week. My offer is targeting folks that are very close to finishing their training and almost ready for their PVT/COM glider rating check ride or CFIG "add-on"/renewal/reinstatement. I'll also take students that are not so close to finishing but that will require extra training days at my regular rates.

A few folks thought the entire training course was free, but the offer simply waives my examiner fee and allows for free glider rental and free tows for the FAA Practical Test (aka "checkride.") Plus a free room for the checkride days you are here in Marfa, Texas. Saves you about $1,000 and hopefully motivates applicants to FINISH and earn their pilot certificate / glider rating. Don't be shy, e-mail your questions and we'll work together to get your glider rating done!

Burt
marfagliders at Aol dott comm
Marfa, Texas, USA

From now to March 31, 2013, I'm offering free checkrides for FAA Glider (Private / Commercial applicants, add-on or initial) and CFI-Glider add-on's, renewals and reinstatements.

Old December 27th 12, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Happy to announce that Mr. Atul Chopra of the Soaring Club of Houston passed his FREE Private Glider practical test at Marfa, Texas, yesterday.

As promised, all 4 of his checkride tows, the ASK-21 glider rental and my examiner fee were FREE. He and his wife Haley enjoyed the free accommodation offered in our guest house along with the nice restaurants, shops and galleries in Marfa.

"Someday" is NOW. FINISH your glider rating at Marfa, site of the National Soaring Museum's 15th Landmark of Soaring and the "Sun Ship Game" film! My free check ride/free room offer ends March 31, 2013. Contact me for detailed information at marfaglidersATaol.com

Burt
www.flygliders.com

Old January 2nd 13, 01:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Hello y'all, Happy New Year! We did some soaring today at Marfa, Texas (USA). Just small thermals to bracket for essential "character building" skills. Always a hoot to fly on New Year's Day! Finished another free checkride. Offer ends March 31, 2013.
Old January 10th 13, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Already a fun winter and spring in west Texas!
Twelve applicants signed up for my "Free Checkride / Free Room" offer at Marfa.
Contact me for details -- I have some days available before the "free" offer ends March 31, 2013. Let's finish your glider rating or renew / reinstate your CFIG. "Someday" is NOW.

Old January 20th 13, 01:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

Three Private applicants, one Commercial applicant finished their glider ratings since JAN 1, seven more inbound to Marfa, Texas from across the USA, including some CFIG renewals and reinstatements. Free offer good to March 31. E-mail Burt for more details and available dates. marfagliders at aol dott comm
Old January 20th 13, 03:08 PM
NEED LS3 TRAILER NEED LS3 TRAILER is offline
Junior Member

I just finished a 1 week stay at Burt’s soaring center in Marfa, and just wanted to thank Burt for generously sharing his time and knowledge, and assistance in helping me get my glider certificate.

I took up Burt’s offer partly because of the free checkride, but mainly because it was time for me to just do it – get my glider certificate and avoid having work , family, whatever, get in the way of enjoying flying gliders.

So I scheduled a full week in Marfa to allow extra time to take some lessons to improve some of my weaker techniques, and Burt more than delivered. He helped me gain confidence in planning and establishing the approach to land, setting up for off-field landings, learning the merits of using the ‚modified’ (vice rectangular) traffic pattern, establishing and using turning and forward slip, setting the final approach using the ‚mailslot’ technique, etc.

The actual flying was really instructive and helpful, but the education continued off the flight line as well, as Burt was extremely generous in sharing his 40 + years experience flying gliders and other aircraft.

New equipment and facility, great ground staff, wonderful flying weather and scenary (No Country for Old Men, and Giant were filmed here), clean and free accomodations...

My visit was much more than just a check ride, so if you’re fortunate enough to get on Burt’s calendar, I suggest you pad your schedule to allow some extra time with Burt.

Marfa and soutwest Texas are a worth a trip on their own. But the flying made it a particularly great experience that should not be missed. (send me an email if you want additional info or have any questions about my trip.

Thank you Burt!
Old January 20th 13, 03:53 PM
dbrunone dbrunone is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEED LS3 TRAILER View Post
[...]

Sounds like a great time. Paul I do quite like your screen name...its not desperate or anything haha