Drunk pilot news video & ATC audio

Old February 3rd 04, 06:51 PM
Doug FM

Default Drunk pilot news video & ATC audio

Hope ATC never has to describe me as "orbiting like an idiot"!

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/vid...pilottape.html

Old February 3rd 04, 07:05 PM
Marco Rispoli

"Doug FM" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
Hope ATC never has to describe me as "orbiting like an idiot"!

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/news/vid...pilottape.html

With all the undeserved bad rep GA is getting recently (like the CBS
report)... that's what we need: some stupid DANGEROUS stunt.

I honestly hope this guy pays for it. At the very least I hope they'll never
let him in a plane again.

--
Marco Rispoli - NJ, USA
I SOLOed!! You can read my flight training diary at

Old February 3rd 04, 07:47 PM
Larry Fransson

On 2004-02-03 11:05:54 -0800, "Marco Rispoli"
said:

I honestly hope this guy pays for it. At the very least I hope they'll

never
let him in a plane again.

I seem to remember reading a thread here recently that said his certificate
had already been revoked. That means they won't *let* him in a plane
again. He may, however, still manage to *get* in an airplane again if he
really wants to.

--
Larry Fransson
Seattle, WA
Old February 3rd 04, 07:54 PM
Marco Leon

The other guy from the LaGuardia/Statue of Liberty incident was up and
flying on Sunday. Can the FAA pull your ticket right away or do they have
to go through some sort of process?

Marco

news:2004020311474316807%newsgroups@larryandjennyn et...

Old February 3rd 04, 08:50 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Marco Leon wrote:

The other guy from the LaGuardia/Statue of Liberty incident was up and
flying on Sunday. Can the FAA pull your ticket right away or do they have
to go through some sort of process?

They can do an emergency suspension of your certificate immediately. Then they
have a few days to decide what they want to charge you with. They then notify
you, and they may ask for your side of the story. The first hearing has to be
held within 30 days. Either you or the FAA can appeal the decision of that to
an administrative law judge, and either you or the FAA can appeal the judge's
decision to the NTSB. Their decision is final.

In this case, they will go for violation of the reg on alcohol, the one about
busting the class-B, the catchall about reckless operation, violation of the
ground clearance regs, and possibly violation of the reg against acrobatics,
depending on how much (if any) that Lear pilot was exagerating. They can probably
find a few more if they really work at it.

I think there isn't a snowball's chance in Hades of him flying again as anything
but a passenger on a commercial airline.

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 3rd 04, 09:23 PM
Richard Russell

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 19:47:44 GMT, Larry Fransson

On 2004-02-03 11:05:54 -0800, "Marco Rispoli"
said:

I honestly hope this guy pays for it. At the very least I hope they'll

never
let him in a plane again.

I seem to remember reading a thread here recently that said his certificate
had already been revoked. That means they won't *let* him in a plane
again. He may, however, still manage to *get* in an airplane again if he
really wants to.

I can't verify this information, but the Philly local news reported
that the FAA suspended his certificate. I hope that they meant to say
revoked.

By the way, on the video we heard him announce left base for 28. That
runway has a right pattern because of the power plant. If you look at
the nice picture in AirNav for KPTW you'll see why. After what he did
I guess that's nitpicking but add it to the list of things he screwed
up.
Rich Russell
Old February 3rd 04, 09:39 PM
Jay Honeck

By the way, on the video we heard him announce left base for 28. That
runway has a right pattern because of the power plant. If you look at
the nice picture in AirNav for KPTW you'll see why. After what he did
I guess that's nitpicking but add it to the list of things he screwed
up.

Not to defend his action, but the FAA would have to bust every third biz jet
that landed in Iowa City if they started enforcing the recommended traffic
pattern procedure.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 04, 09:58 PM
EDR

What makes you people think someone has to have a pilot's certificate
to fly an airplane?
Old February 3rd 04, 11:20 PM
John Galban

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote in message ...
The other guy from the LaGuardia/Statue of Liberty incident was up and
flying on Sunday. Can the FAA pull your ticket right away or do they have
to go through some sort of process?

They can do an "emergency revocation". Basically, they send you a
letter ordering you to surrender your cert. either by mail, or at a
FSDO. As I understand it, that's what they did in the case of the PA
pilot. Don't know about the NY guy.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old February 4th 04, 01:21 AM
Ricky Robbins

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 21:58:40 GMT, EDR wrote:

What makes you people think someone has to have a pilot's certificate
to fly an airplane?

But this someone did, in fact a commercial. If I found the right one
(and I think it is), he has (copied from FAA search):

DOI : 03/23/2001
Certificate: COMMERCIAL PILOT

Rating(s):

COMMERCIAL PILOT
ROTORCRAFT-HELICOPTER
INSTRUMENT HELICOPTER
PRIVATE PRIVILEGES
AIRPLANE SINGLE ENGINE LAND

You can read about it, in order, he (and here and here)

http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_04a.../186506-1.html
http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_05a.../186583-1.html
http://www.avweb.com/newswire/10_06a.../186637-1.html

Ricky