Pilot weight and gliding

Old August 21st 03, 11:16 PM
JohnH

Default Pilot weight and gliding

Hello,

I'm just now learning about Gliding and will start instruction soon.
Question: I'm 6ft tall and weigh 232 lbs. Have I weighed myself out of
many sailplane options? I DO plan on losing some more weight, but just
in case I don't, would appreciate some knowledge on this The
instructor said I'm ok for the trainer I'll be flying in.

Thanks in advance

john

Old August 22nd 03, 12:40 AM
DGRTEK

John,
The 2-33 for example has a max weight limit of 1040. Approximately 640lb of
that is Iron so that leaves you 400lbs to split between the two of you. You
have to see the WB for the actual ship you will be flying, ships that have had
work and paint jobs add up weight.

It really boils down to specific weight and balance figures for each sailplane.
If you plan on taking lessons in a 2-33, and you say you are 232lbs
clothed..extra radios, gps,water bottle.....your instructor can weigh no more
than an honest 168lbs.

All that being said, I've seen more than one pair go up that combined couldn't
possibly weigh 400lbs or less!

Some gliders will be a better fit than others.. you'll have to find out whats
comfortable for you.

Good luck!

Douglas

Old August 22nd 03, 01:30 AM
Liam Finley

JohnH wrote in message . net...
Hello,

I'm just now learning about Gliding and will start instruction soon.
Question: I'm 6ft tall and weigh 232 lbs. Have I weighed myself out of
many sailplane options? I DO plan on losing some more weight, but just
in case I don't, would appreciate some knowledge on this The
instructor said I'm ok for the trainer I'll be flying in.

Thanks in advance

john

If you want to move into high performance single seaters, your
options will be somewhat restricted, but you'll manage to find
something. Its typical for Euro gliders to come out of the factory
with a max cockpit load of 242 lbs (110 kg.), but that often gets
reduced when extra equipment is installed.

On the other hand, if you are content to fly Schweizer junk your whole
life, you've got nothing to worry about.
Old August 22nd 03, 01:43 AM
Marc Ramsey

"Liam Finley" wrote...
On the other hand, if you are content to fly Schweizer junk your whole
life, you've got nothing to worry about.

Gee, what a fine way to encourage a newcomer to become involved in this sport.
At least he'll find out what he's up against early on...

Marc

Old August 22nd 03, 02:29 AM
Guy Byars

If you want to move into high performance single seaters, your
options will be somewhat restricted, but you'll manage to find
something. Its typical for Euro gliders to come out of the factory
with a max cockpit load of 242 lbs (110 kg.), but that often gets
reduced when extra equipment is installed.

Most high performance gliders have provision to store ballast in the tail.
This could increase the minimum cockpit weight. You will have to reduce the
water ballast accordingly to stay below gross weight.

Old August 22nd 03, 03:28 AM
JohnH

Marc Ramsey wrote:
"Liam Finley" wrote...

On the other hand, if you are content to fly Schweizer junk your whole
life, you've got nothing to worry about.

Gee, what a fine way to encourage a newcomer to become involved in this sport.
At least he'll find out what he's up against early on...

Marc

No, I sure don't want to fly Schweizer junk my whole life. But, I'm not
looking to do aerobatics either....and least not on purpose, at this time

Thanks for the replies. Marc, I grew up in newsgroups and really
expected some pretty rude comments, but haven't received any yet. I
have also received some encouraging and enlightening emails. I
apparently am not the only one on this board that has been fighting the
pilot weight problem ;

john

Old August 22nd 03, 03:30 AM
BTIZ

most high performance gliders of European manufacture have a max seat load
of 242 lbs (US) or 110Kg, that cannot be adjusted (increased)by extra
ballast weight in the tail, regardless of what the W&B computes out to. It
is a manufacturing design limit for structural integrity under impact loads.

The other consideration other than weight, especially with an aircraft like
the 2-32, is the "belly girth", even at 6ft+ and 232#, if you can't get full
aft stick movement.. don't fly.

Our very lightest CFI turned down a student, the CG worked out ok, but the
"fit check" did not.

BT

Old August 22nd 03, 03:30 AM
BTIZ

kinda hard to get DUAL primary instruction in a single seat glider

"Bob Kibby" wrote in message
I have a SZD-59 Acro for sale that would satisify your needs. I am 6'5"

and
weigh 210 lbs. Plenty of room for a big guy. Information on Wings and

Wheels
web site under used sailplanes. I believe it is on sheet 7 or 8 of Tim's
used sailplane listings.

Bob Kibby "59A" old SZD-59 and ""2BK" new Discus-2T

This mailbox protected from junk email by Matador

Old August 22nd 03, 03:54 AM
Shirley

"Liam Finley" wrote...

On the other hand, if you are content to fly
Schweizer junk your whole life, you've got
nothing to worry about.

Unless that was said "tongue-in-cheek", that's just plain ignorant. You don't
have to like it, but Schweizer has its place. Not everyone who loves to go
places and drive has to do so in a Ferrari to enjoy the trip!

--Shirley

Old August 22nd 03, 04:06 AM
Tom Seim

JohnH wrote in message . net...
Hello,

I'm just now learning about Gliding and will start instruction soon.
Question: I'm 6ft tall and weigh 232 lbs. Have I weighed myself out of
many sailplane options? I DO plan on losing some more weight, but just
in case I don't, would appreciate some knowledge on this The
instructor said I'm ok for the trainer I'll be flying in.

Thanks in advance

john

Schleicher makes gliders that will take your frame.

BTW, the Adkins diet worked for me, dropped about 30 lbs.