Oshkosh - Saturday

Old July 24th 05, 04:47 PM
David Odum

Default Oshkosh - Saturday

Here are a few pictures from Oshkosh taken on Saturday, two days
before show starts. Most of the aircraft exhibitors have yet to
complete their setup as this shot of the Cirrus exhibit exemplifies.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0870bsm.jpg

Aeroshell Square is largely empty. This Morane-Saulnier MS760 Paris
is parked on one corner of the square.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0879bsm.jpg

Here's some more info about the MS760
http://www.airplanezone.com/Oshkosh/...003/MS760.html

This Kodiak marks another corner of the square. The Kodiak is a new
design by Quest Aircraft of Sandpoint, Idaho. The aircraft first flew
in October of 2004 and is currently undergoing FAA type certification.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0881bsm.jpg

This shot across the square reveals only the FAA's DC-3 on the other
side. http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0886bsm.jpg

Steve Culp's Sopwith Pup reproduction (blue) and his Culp Special mark
another corner of Aeroshell Square.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0889bsm.jpg

Kent and Sandy Blankenburg chat with friends under the wing of their
beautiful Luscombe Sedan. Out of about 90 Luscombe Sedans built there
are only 8 remaining. Kent owns several antique aircraft and always
brings one to Oshkosh. By the way, the boy in the back seat of the
plane is a mannequin.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0900bsm.jpg

Barring poor weather, this spot will be wall to wall aircraft in a
couple of days. Today, however, it is largely empty. Those planes
parked in the distance are Cessna 170s. You can see my mode of
transportation in the foreground. Bicycles are largely tolerated on
the grounds today. That won't be the case tomorrow as the grounds
population will increase dramatically.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0904bsm.jpg

These C195s mirror another row off picture left. Always a nice
display. http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0910bsm.jpg

I stopped to chat with these fellows because of the many modes of
transportation displayed - airplane, car, scooter, and bikes, so they
pulled out a pair of roller blades to add to the mix (in front of the
left main gear). The fellow on the right (Roy, if memory serves), has
only missed one EAA convention in 38 years. I'll have my note pad
with me on Sunday so I won't have to depend on my memory.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0916bsm.jpg

A couple of Lake Amphibians keep a lonely vigil over the southern end
of the grounds. They'll have plenty of other aircraft to keep them
company in a few days. By the way, the Lake Aircraft type
certificate, engineering data, jigs, and tooling will be sold at
auction this Wednesday here at Oshkosh. So if you're in the market
for an aircraft company...
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0925bsm.jpg

The Ercoupes just arrived en masse. This fellow in the red shirt has
those screw-in dog leash tie-down stakes and one just broke in half
while he was trying to screw it in. He chucked his tie-down stakes
and rented some from the EAA. And he'd better get it tied down soon
as the western skies are getting quite dark.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0930bsm.jpg

Getting ready for the big blow. Reports indicate severe weather
approaching from the west. High winds, possible hail, possible
tornados. In preparation, the owners of this Ford Tri-Motor drive
some more 3 foot tie-down stakes into the ground and install a spoiler
on the wing. http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0938bsm.jpg

This would be fun to fly. It's an Aeromot AMT-200s.
http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0951bsm.jpg

Here's a shot looking across the empty car parking lot toward the bad
stuff approaching from the NW. It's only 15 minutes away now. I
waited until it arrived to depart for my motel. The rain came down
hard and it was quite gusty but hopefully not sufficient to overturn
any airplanes. Apparently, the storm was worse at points west earlier
in the day. http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0956bsm.jpg

I'll try to post a few pictures every day. If not here, then on my
website. After I post my Oshkosh Scrapbook in a few weeks, I'll take
these pictures off the server.

David - email: David at AirplaneZone dot com

Old July 24th 05, 10:48 PM
Steve DeMoss

David Odum MyFirstName@AirplaneZone wrote in
:

Here are a few pictures from Oshkosh taken on Saturday, two days
before show starts.

Great photos and descriptions snipped

All right! Glad you're back there, David, since I can't be! I missed your
coverage last year.

Whenever I see your pictures and read your commentary I almost feel like
I'm there. And I probably learn more about the planes and exhibits than if
I were experiencing them myself.

Thanks a bunch for documenting your trip(s) for us!

Steve DeMoss
Old July 29th 05, 07:27 AM
Marv

David......thanks for your nice pictures and commentary. I was only
able to go for Sunday and Monday but took a few pictures as well.

I have posted a couple of pictures of an Innodyn turboprop installation
in a Super Cub and a couple of pictures of the Innodyn engine with a
link
to their website. Weight is about 188 pounds with quoted fuel
consumption of about 7 gallons per 100 hp. Interesting.....

My posted pictures include: a Lionheart Composite Staggerwing; a couple
of very nice Cessna 195's; P-51 "SCAT II"; a couple of T-28's;
ViperJet;
Javelin; Sky Arrow; and an interesting 3 engine Dornier Amphibian --
Dornier Do-24ATT

Pictures are at: http://marvhamm.com/oshkosh-2005.html

News article on the Dornier Do-24ATT at:

http://westsidenewsonline.com/OldSit...uedornier.html

Dornier World tour update at: http://www.do-24.com/

Old July 29th 05, 09:17 AM
Jay Beckman

"Marv" wrote in message
oups.com...

David......thanks for your nice pictures and commentary. I was only
able to go for Sunday and Monday but took a few pictures as well.

Snip

Great photos Marv,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old July 29th 05, 12:10 PM
David Odum

Steve DeMoss wrote:

Great photos and descriptions snipped

All right! Glad you're back there, David, since I can't be! I missed your
coverage last year.

Whenever I see your pictures and read your commentary I almost feel like
I'm there. And I probably learn more about the planes and exhibits than if
I were experiencing them myself.

Thanks a bunch for documenting your trip(s) for us!

Steve DeMoss

Thanks Steve. I shouldn't have promised daily updates though. With
the schedule I've forced upon myself here at Oshkosh and my social
commitments at night I'm only getting 4 or 5 hours of sleep per night.
No time to fix-up and post pictures. The first two days of the show
were hot, overcast, and at times stormy. Wednesday and Thursday were
perfect with cooler temperatures and plenty of blue sky. Today
(Friday) promises the same.

Here is a picture of the "Heritage Formation". A rare formation
indeed. P-38 Glacier Girl is trailed by an F-16, a P-51, and an F-4.
This picture was taken near the end of their routine. The F-16 and
P-51 would peal off first, as shown, then Glacier Girl would peal off
left while the F-4 pealed off right. Then, as all four leave air show
center in gentle climbs they perform simultaneous aileron rolls. Good
show guys!

http://www.airplanezone.com/PubDir/IMG_0210bsmcr.jpg (61.5 KB)

David - email: David at AirplaneZone dot com

Old August 1st 05, 10:28 PM
David Odum

"Marv" wrote:

[...]

Nice pictures Marv!

David - email: David at AirplaneZone dot com

Old September 24th 05, 05:09 PM
Robert Barker

"David Odum" MyFirstName@AirplaneZone wrote in message

[...]

Great post! Looking forward to the rest of the week!