Sunday's Crash in LI Sound

Old November 5th 03, 05:34 PM
Marco Leon

Default Sunday's Crash in LI Sound

Interesting perspective from a witness.

http://www.ctfisherman.com/ubb/ultim...c;f=8;t=002584

It's a post to a fishermans board. Here's the text:

My weekend started out fishing at the Race on Saturday with my friend,
Frank. Stripers and Blue fishing was absolutely phenomenal. So, I decided to

I left the dock at approximately 8:30 a.m. and headed to Race Rock where we
were having the same results as the previous day. We worked our way to the
east end of Fisher's Island and at around 10:30 in the morning, we couldn't
help but notice two planes reenacting some type of dog fight, chasing each
other, hard banks, flying as low as possible and then climbing abruptly. The
show was so spectactular I put my fishing rod aside to watch.

At around 11:00 a.m. I noticed a yellow and blue plane making an abrupt dive
after the other plane was seemingly chasing it. About 500 ft. from the
water, the engine seemed to quit and I said "He's gonna". And, he did, in
fact, crash into the water at a very high rate of speed. THIS NO MORE THAN
1/2 MILE OFF THE STERN OF MY BOAT.

Needless to say, I was shocked and what seemed lik a long time was probably
one minute. I picked up the radio and said "This is pleasure boat REELNICE
calling Coast Guard. There has been a plane crash about 1 mile east of
Valiant Rock on the South side of Fisher's Island. I then motored to the
crash site and found a fairly large debris field and marked that location on
my GPS. I reported those coordinates to the Coast Guard. At that point, the
Coast Guard had me on Channel 22 so that we would not get stepped on.

I radioed back and said there's debris and gasoline traveling with the tide.
Some pieces were sinking, so I asked if I should recover what I could and
they said to do so. I recovered part of a wing and various pieces of what
appeared to be hinged, wooden objects, along with a significant piece of a
wooden prop.

By this time, other boaters were in the area and I motioned to one boat and
he tied up the landing gear to the stern of his boat. Coast Guard radioed me
and asked me what was going on. Boats were attempting to look for survivors.
My friend Frank was looking through the binoculars as I was attempting some
kind of grid pattern.

In one of my conversations with the Coast Guard, I said, should I go back to
the orignal site, as the debris field was now a good mile away from the
orignal crash site, and they said, please do. When I got back to the orignal
site, in my amazement, I noticed oil bubbling up to the surface. I radioed
that in and the Coast Guard asked me to mark that coordinate.

This obviously was where at least the engine or plane had falled (in about
220 ft of water).

I spent the next several hours conversing with the Coast Guard and Police. I
must say, the intensity of the crash was so great that I felt the concussion
from my boat. Also, the amount of water that flew in the air was remarkable.
You could actually see pieces of the plane mixed in with the water that flew
up in the air.

I felt I did whatever I could to assist and there would be no way I could
have been as helpful without my GPS and giving the Coast Guard precise
coordinates. The Coast Guard was very professional to work with and it looks
like I'm going to be further interviewed by both the Coast Guard and FAA. I
made a conscious decision to stay away from the media.

There were several boats that joined in collecting debris and searching for
survivors, including some charter captains. I felt, in a way, I was with
family out there. Everyone was professional and courteous while still being
somewhat stunned and shocked.

Just wanted to share this experience with my fellow CT Fishermen. I
definitely need some sleep.

http://www.usenet.com