Learning from NTSB reports

Old November 25th 03, 10:57 AM
Roger Long

Default Learning from NTSB reports

I believe that reading accident reports is an important safety activity.
I've learned about a lot of things to avoid and anticipate.

This one is a must read for every pilot. Don't tell yourself you know
better than that. It could happen to anyone.

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...12X18632&key=1

--
Roger Long

Old November 25th 03, 01:09 PM
Jake Brodsky

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 10:57:53 GMT, "Roger Long"
om wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...12X18632&key=1

At least they died with a smile on their faces...

Jake Brodsky,
PP ASEL IA, Cessna Cardinal N30946, Based @ FME
Amateur Radio Station AB3A
Old November 25th 03, 02:57 PM
Ben Smith

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message .. .
I believe that reading accident reports is an important safety activity.
I've learned about a lot of things to avoid and anticipate.

This made me think of something else... Does anyone in the group feel that
pilots that are 'wired' (to the internet) are safer than ones who are not?
I think that in general I'm a much safer pilot after reading many years of
past discussion on usenet, and sifting through NTSB reports. I couldn't
imagine having aviation as a hobby, only being exposed to 'hangar talk' for
advice.

I was once ridiculed (by a high time ASMEL) for using the full checklist in
my 172. The comment was, "after hundreds of hours, you just know it all by
heart". About pre-flighting - I've also heard: "I'm the only one that fly's
this plane, so it's the same as how I left it"... That same day, I saw him
go around single engine. His right engine came back to life after switching
to the aux tank. (As the other tank was contaminated with oxygen).

Do any CFI's in the group point their students to the NTSB and usenet
archives?

--
Ben
C-172 - N13258 @ 87Y

Old November 25th 03, 02:59 PM
Robert Moore

"Roger Long" wrote
This one is a must read for every pilot. Don't tell yourself
you know better than that. It could happen to anyone.

I survived my "Mile High Club" initiation. Of course it was in
a B-707. Ahhh!...the good old '60's. :-))

Bob Moore
Old November 25th 03, 03:44 PM
Tony Cox

"Roger Long" om wrote in
message .. .
I believe that reading accident reports is an important safety activity.
I've learned about a lot of things to avoid and anticipate.

This one is a must read for every pilot. Don't tell yourself you know
better than that. It could happen to anyone.

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...12X18632&key=1

--
Roger Long

I'm addicted to NTSB reports too. Here's one we can all have
a good titter at (no fatalities). What can they have been thinking??
Love the sand in the back to make absolutely sure they were
overweight.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...11X11000&key=1

--
Dr. Tony Cox
Citrus Controls Inc.

Old November 25th 03, 03:54 PM
Peter R.

Ben Smith ) wrote:

About pre-flighting - I've also heard: "I'm the only one that fly's
this plane, so it's the same as how I left it"...

If only that were true. Nest building bugs or birds, loose fuel caps in
rain, hot pitot tubes that block themselves with the foam of refueling
stairs, lights that burn out, flat tires, alternator belts that break, low
oil, blocked static ports, bolts that back off trim tab bars, and spinners
with a reputation to split that live up to their reputation are all
possibilities that can happen while leaving it.

--
Peter R.

Old November 25th 03, 04:54 PM
Ron Natalie

"Roger Long" om wrote in message
.. .
I believe that reading accident reports is an important safety activity.
I've learned about a lot of things to avoid and anticipate.

This one is a must read for every pilot. Don't tell yourself you know
better than that. It could happen to anyone.

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...12X18632&key=1

--

Let this be a lesson to you: Qualifying for the mile high club and simulated instrument
flight do not go together.

Old November 25th 03, 05:30 PM
Teacherjh

Qualifying for the mile high club and simulated instrument
flight do not go together.

The lesson is to read carefully. They thought they were supposed to be doing
STIMULATED instrument flight.

Jose

Old November 25th 03, 06:06 PM
Peter R.

Ron Natalie ) wrote:

"Roger Long" om wrote in message
.. .
I believe that reading accident reports is an important safety activity.
I've learned about a lot of things to avoid and anticipate.

This one is a must read for every pilot. Don't tell yourself you know
better than that. It could happen to anyone.

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief.asp?e...12X18632&key=1

--

Let this be a lesson to you: Qualifying for the mile high club and simulated
instrument flight do not go together.

I wonder who was wearing the hood?

--
Peter

Old November 25th 03, 06:09 PM
Dave Butler

Ben Smith wrote:

His right engine came back to life after switching
to the aux tank. (As the other tank was contaminated with oxygen).

Huh?