Self fly hire in the US

Old March 22nd 04, 11:51 PM
Nigel

Default Self fly hire in the US

I am from the UK and I'm visiting the US for my summer vacation this year
and plan to do some flying from a flying school in Naples Florida. I have a
UK and US license and all I want is a bi-annual/check ride and then rent a
plane for a couple of trips around the general area, maybe even venture down
to Key West as I have done before..

Do I need to obtain a US visa for this?

Nigel

Old March 23rd 04, 05:08 PM
Chris Powell

Nigel

I don't believe that you do, if you are going to Naples Air Center just give
Richard or Nicki a call, they are really helpful. You will find the number
on the website.

Chris Powell

"Martin Hotze" wrote in message
"Nigel" wrote:

Do I need to obtain a US visa for this?

IMHO: no. But better check with the authorities (call the embassy).

there might be an issue with flying, but hopefully they have sorted that

out.

#m
--
How come we choose from just two people to
run for president and 50 for Miss America?

I don't approve of political jokes. I've seen too many of them get

elected.

Old March 23rd 04, 09:31 PM
S Green

"Nigel" wrote in message
I am from the UK and I'm visiting the US for my summer vacation this year
and plan to do some flying from a flying school in Naples Florida. I have

UK and US license and all I want is a bi-annual/check ride and then rent a
plane for a couple of trips around the general area, maybe even venture

down
to Key West as I have done before..

Do I need to obtain a US visa for this?

Nigel

If you have a private pilots license and you merely wish to build up flight
hours, you will require a B-2 visa. While you may be eligible to travel
visa free under the Visa Waiver Program, if otherwise qualified, since the
introduction of the Applicability of Aviation and Transportation Security
Act, we would recommend that you apply for a B-2 visa.
When applying for the B-2 visa and entry into the U.S. you will be required
to furnish a letter from the flight school stating the type of aircraft you
will be flying.

Detailed information on visa application procedures and advice on how to
schedule an interview at the Embassy is available from our website at
www.usembassy.org.uk

Old March 24th 04, 12:05 AM

On Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:51:44 -0000, "Nigel"
wrote:

I am from the UK and I'm visiting the US for my summer vacation this year
and plan to do some flying from a flying school in Naples Florida. I have a
UK and US license and all I want is a bi-annual/check ride and then rent a
plane for a couple of trips around the general area, maybe even venture down
to Key West as I have done before..

Do I need to obtain a US visa for this?

Nigel

Assuming you have an original FAA certificate (not a temporary
certificate issued on the basis of your UK licence) then you shouldn't
need anything but your FAA certificate, FAA medical and have the BFR.

I have a FAA certificate and went to Honolulu in January. Did the BFR,
got the medical and had hoped to fly to Molokai but believe it or not
the weather was poor for the day I'd arranged to fly solo otherwise no
problem. I went into the US on the Visa Waiver system.

David

Piper Warrior G-BHJO
Scotland, UK

E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot
Old March 24th 04, 06:43 AM
Andrew Sarangan

"S Green" wrote in message ...
"Nigel" wrote in message
[...]

I am not an expert on this subject, but this sounds quite ridiculous.
His primary reason for visiting the U.S. is vacation, not flying.
Renting an airplane is incidental to his travel, just like renting a
car, or a bicycle. Why does that require a special visa? Does a
regular tourist visa prohibit one from renting or purchasing an
aircraft?
Old March 24th 04, 07:55 AM
Capt.Doug

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message Does a
regular tourist visa prohibit one from renting or purchasing an
aircraft?

It does not require a special visa and can be done if one has entered under
the Visa Waiver Program. US authorities become interested when a foreign
national wants training in an aircraft weighing over 12500 pounds. Then the
visa alone is insufficient.

D.

Old March 24th 04, 08:20 AM
John Bishop

I asked this question last year when I was in Seattle. They had no idea. I
ended up renting a plane dual as I didn't have enough time to take the BFR.

What I did was to take the BFR back here in the UK and I will rent next time
I'm out there.

John

Old March 24th 04, 11:24 AM
Cub Driver

I am not an expert on this subject, but this sounds quite ridiculous.
His primary reason for visiting the U.S. is vacation, not flying.

Well, Mohammed Atta's primary visiting for visiting the U.S. was
suicide and mass destruction. The flight instruction was secondary.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (requires authentication)

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old March 24th 04, 01:58 PM
Eclipsme

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
om...
"S Green" wrote in message

"Nigel" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, I hesitate commenting, but I have never been asked for my passport when
renting a plane - just my medical, license and logbook. Why would a visa be
required and why would an FBO ask for one? Of course, if you do not have an
FAA license I would understand, but this person has one.

Harvey

Old March 24th 04, 08:43 PM
S Green

"S Green" wrote in message

"Nigel" wrote in message
[...]

Ridiculous or not it is advice from the US embassy. Ask them the question
yourself then.