Wing loading

Old March 10th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_1_]

Default Wing loading

On Mar 9, 10:14 pm, Tuno wrote:
Note that a major performance factor is maximum wing
by gliders that could fly much higher wing loadings than my CZ.

Ted is really into this high wing loading thing. I have never filled
my 28 in the 5 years I have owned it. I usually fly about 9.5 PSF
when not resticted by the STD loading limit. There have been a few
days when I would have liked to be heavier but only when there was
good streeting on course line.

I used to fly my ASW-19 over max gross because I thought wing loading
was really important. I'd heard the stories about stuffing 50 gallons
into Std Cirrus and I wanted some of it too. The reports of leading
edge deformation giving lower L/D with all that water didn't reach me
until later. When Standard class weight limits were enforced I
reduced my loading to max gross and found it flew a lot nicer and I
flew faster. But then of course I wished I could get up to 9 psf with
the rest of the field.

I'd be interested in hearing how many experienced XC pilots always
takeoff with, and try to keep, wingloadings over 9.5 to 10 psf.

Maybe filling the 28 is the speed secret I've been missing for years?

Andy
Old March 10th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Mar 10, 3:46*pm, Andy wrote:
On Mar 9, 10:14 pm, Tuno wrote:

[...]

I use same philosophy when flying my '28.
John Byrd used to kill us all in his Discus by flying it at 9# when
everybody else
tanked up too heavy.
UH
Old March 11th 08, 05:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tuno

Ted is really into this high wing loading thing.

He is *really* into trying to keep up with the likes of you, TS, KC
(once upon a time), 66, N7, GW, AV8, and the rest of the ASA gang

Estrella to Nogales and return, 2005. Everybody flew at 10.5+ lbs
(not sure if you were there, Andy). I was stuck at 9.2 lbs in the CZ,
and despite one of my best contest flights of the year, was the only
one who didn't make it back.

Of course, what I'm into is being able to tank up to what the
conditions warrant, whatever they are. I flew light more than a few
times last year.

I usually fly about 9.5 PSF when not resticted by the STD loading limit

Still 0.3 pounds higher than the 304CZ's max wing loading

~ted/2NO

Glider Weight/Wing Loading and determing speed for best L/D for a given weight 65E Soaring 3 January 26th 06 09:26 PM
disk loading Roopah Vi Tam Rotorcraft 1 September 9th 04 05:45 PM
FS9 loading problems Tlewis95 Simulators 0 December 17th 03 01:39 AM
Why don't all fighters have low Wing Loading? Chad Irby Military Aviation 6 September 22nd 03 10:52 PM
Can someone explain wing loading? Frederick Wilson Home Built 4 September 10th 03 02:33 AM