Instrument panel labeling

Old January 10th 20, 03:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Instrument panel labeling

I'm looking for ideas on how to make professional looking placards/labels for a instrument panel rebuild I'm doing. I need to make tiny labels for fuses, and switches and I hate, hate, hate the look of the continuous strip label maker "sticker" stuck to the panel. It looks tacky, but they never seem to stay stuck. Know what I mean?
I think a stencil might be too small, has any one ever used a pressure transfer and clear top coat? What else have you tried?

Signed,
Working till spring

Old January 10th 20, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

For a really professionally looking labels I would suggest a 'sign and engraving' business like this found at random on Google:

https://www.myengravedsign.com/Engra...el-Plates.aspx
Old January 10th 20, 06:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 8:26:27 PM UTC-6, wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on how to make professional looking placards/labels for a instrument panel rebuild I'm doing. I need to make tiny labels for fuses, and switches and I hate, hate, hate the look of the continuous strip label maker "sticker" stuck to the panel. It looks tacky, but they never seem to stay stuck. Know what I mean?
I think a stencil might be too small, has any one ever used a pressure transfer and clear top coat? What else have you tried?

Signed,
Working till spring

I have used Aircraft Engravers many times (https://www.engravers.net/). Not too expensive, quick, and well made.

Here are some examples for a Cessna 150 with an nearly unreadable panel I upgraded (PDF of what I sent them, what they sent me as a proof, and what they produced).
http://derosaweb.net/aviation/images/placards

Old January 10th 20, 06:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 11:35:01 PM UTC-6, John DeRosa OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
[...]

Also, if you do decide to use the "Thermal transfer printing" label makers commonly found in office supply stores, definitely use the Dymo brand. Dymo has stepped up their game from the olden days of raised lettering, their adhesive is better than P-Touch's, and they even make printable HEAT SHRINK!! Same price point as P-Touch.

https://www.dymo.com/en-US/label-mak...60-label-maker

Also, a hint on getting these labels to stick better - clip each corner of the label at a 45. Its those 90 degree corners that seem to lift up over time. My $0.02.
Old January 10th 20, 09:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

I have printed labels with a good laser printer using Avery industrial strength A4 printable label sheets. Normal office labels do not last more than year or two. Label does not stick to Nextel paint very well, they need to be attached with two sided tesa tape used for mylar seals. Done like this, they outlast the glider.
Old January 10th 20, 02:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le vendredi 10 janvier 2020 09:27:23 UTC+1, krasw a écritÂ*:
I have printed labels with a good laser printer using Avery industrial strength A4 printable label sheets. Normal office labels do not last more than year or two. Label does not stick to Nextel paint very well, they need to be attached with two sided tesa tape used for mylar seals. Done like this, they outlast the glider.

I print them with a laser printer on standard paper, and the plastify the paper (the thing where you put the paper between to layers of clear plastic through a heating machine). Double sided tape to attach - looks professional and lasts forever.
Old January 10th 20, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 9:26:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:

https://decalprofx.com/aircraft-panels.html

Check out the website above. Many photos of instrument panels done with this method. It transfers only the letters....no backing, no clear tape nothing...just letters

I worked on the restoration of a military Cessna 337...and did all the instrument panels, electrical panels, control labels, special labeling etc. Really looks nice....somewhat complicated and labor intensive....but 100% professional results.

Cookie

Old January 10th 20, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

https://decalprofx.com/aircraft-pane...rd-funk-1.html

example of glider panel with this process
Old January 10th 20, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 6:26:27 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I'm looking for ideas on how to make professional looking placards/labels for a instrument panel rebuild I'm doing. I need to make tiny labels for fuses, and switches and I hate, hate, hate the look of the continuous strip label maker "sticker" stuck to the panel. It looks tacky, but they never seem to stay stuck. Know what I mean?
I think a stencil might be too small, has any one ever used a pressure transfer and clear top coat? What else have you tried?

Signed,
Working till spring

I used thin black anodized aluminum which is sold for making placards and such (McMaster-Carr has it). I then engraved the lettering and cut out the outline and holes required on the CNC milling machine. These are typically held on by the switch or device they are labeling. I suppose not everyone has a CNC machine at home, but any labeling service (locally usually available at a sports trophy shop) can do this. It does not require a smooth surface, is as durable as the glider, and should needs change is easily changed without having to remove adhesive or paint.

Here are a couple of snaps of what it looks like:

https://i.imgur.com/2v472VV.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZlCKdRr.jpg

ASW 19 instrument panel Charles Longley Soaring 14 November 1st 17 08:47 AM
P-39 Instrument-Panel - P-39 Instrument-Panel.jpg ... Miloch Aviation Photos 0 June 26th 16 01:47 AM
PIK-20D Instrument panel Solo Soaring 5 February 15th 09 07:50 PM
Instrument Panel ccwillwerth Home Built 7 February 9th 06 03:15 PM
DG-300 instrument panel [email protected] Soaring 14 January 29th 06 03:48 PM