U. S. Navy websites - where did they go?

Old May 2nd 04, 06:25 PM
William Hughes

Default U. S. Navy websites - where did they go?

Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I keep getting
DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy change their URLs?

Old May 2nd 04, 08:36 PM
Tex Houston

"William Hughes" wrote in message
Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I keep

getting
DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy change their URLs?

Try http://www.navy.mil/

http://www.news.navy.mil/index.asp

Regards,

Tex

Old May 2nd 04, 10:31 PM
Thomas Schoene

William Hughes wrote:
Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I
keep getting DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy
change their URLs?

All still working from here (with and without the "www" in front of them).
Sounds like a problem at your ISP.

"Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when
wrong to be put right." - Senator Carl Schurz, 1872

Old May 2nd 04, 10:54 PM
William Hughes

On Sun, 2 May 2004 13:36:25 -0600, in rec.aviation.military.naval "Tex Houston"
wrote:

"William Hughes" wrote in message
Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I keep

getting
DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy change their URLs?

Try http://www.navy.mil/

http://www.news.navy.mil/index.asp

The links at www.navy.mil still reference chinfo.navy.mil, unfortunately.

news.navy.mil is good for current events, but I need to access the history files
at the other sites.

Thanks for trying.

Old May 2nd 04, 11:04 PM
William Hughes

On Sun, 02 May 2004 21:31:00 GMT, in rec.aviation.military.naval "Thomas
Schoene" wrote:

William Hughes wrote:
Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I
keep getting DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy
change their URLs?

All still working from here (with and without the "www" in front of them).
Sounds like a problem at your ISP.

Possibly, and I have sent an email to the helpdesk. But would that also affect
links to chinfo.navy.mil from the navy.mil homepage?

Old May 2nd 04, 11:38 PM
Ogden Johnson III

William Hughes wrote:

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:

William Hughes wrote:

Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I
keep getting DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy
change their URLs?

All still working from here (with and without the "www" in front of them).
Sounds like a problem at your ISP.

Possibly, and I have sent an email to the helpdesk. But would that also affect
links to chinfo.navy.mil from the navy.mil homepage?

The http://www.navy.mil site worked fine for me just now, as did
every one of the dozen links I tried off of it, including links
to pages on the chinfo and history sites.

Whatever your problem may be, it doesn't seem to have been
generated at the navy.mil sites. Do you use DHCP? Have you
tried a reset/renewal of the DHCP lease?
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.
Old May 2nd 04, 11:45 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:25:49 -0500, William Hughes
wrote:

Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I keep getting
DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy change their URLs?

They work fine. The problem is at your end.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,

Old May 2nd 04, 11:45 PM
Andrew C. Toppan

On Sun, 02 May 2004 17:04:57 -0500, William Hughes
wrote:

Possibly, and I have sent an email to the helpdesk. But would that also affect
links to chinfo.navy.mil from the navy.mil homepage?

Yes. chinfo.navy.mil is still chinfo.navy.mil, whether you type it or
click on the link.

Old May 3rd 04, 12:47 AM
Thomas Schoene

"Thomas Schoene" wrote:
All still working from here (with and without the "www" in front of
them). Sounds like a problem at your ISP.

Possibly, and I have sent an email to the helpdesk. But would that
also affect links to chinfo.navy.mil from the navy.mil homepage?

Quite possibly, if your ISP is using a flawed DNS lookup list that doesn't
have the right IP address for chinfo.navy.mil.

Old May 3rd 04, 01:58 AM
William Hughes

On Sun, 02 May 2004 18:38:02 -0400, in rec.aviation.military.naval Ogden Johnson
III wrote:
William Hughes wrote:
"Thomas Schoene" wrote:
William Hughes wrote:

Both chinfo.navy.mil and history.navy.mil appear to be offline; I
keep getting DNS errors when I try to access them. Did the Navy
change their URLs?

All still working from here (with and without the "www" in front of them).
Sounds like a problem at your ISP.

Possibly, and I have sent an email to the helpdesk. But would that also affect
links to chinfo.navy.mil from the navy.mil homepage?

The http://www.navy.mil site worked fine for me just now, as did
every one of the dozen links I tried off of it, including links
to pages on the chinfo and history sites.

Whatever your problem may be, it doesn't seem to have been
generated at the navy.mil sites. Do you use DHCP? Have you
tried a reset/renewal of the DHCP lease?

Huh? Ogden, I'm a dial-up user at texas.net. I don't speak "DHCP", whatever that
is.