Looking for a parachute, wing stand and a one-man rigger

Old February 4th 20, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Dutch

Default Looking for a parachute, wing stand and a one-man rigger

Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market. I'm looking for a;
1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
2) Wing stand
3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.
Old February 4th 20, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market. I'm looking for a;
1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
2) Wing stand
3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.

For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra padding as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-F...9934/100618242
Old February 4th 20, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Knowing your location and ship helps......
1-shipping can be expensive at least due to size of box.
2-what works for a 1-26 may be ill suited for a big winger....

No, I have neither for sale.....
Old February 4th 20, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charles Dutch

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 4:06:45 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Knowing your location and ship helps......
1-shipping can be expensive at least due to size of box.
2-what works for a 1-26 may be ill suited for a big winger....

No, I have neither for sale.....

Location - North Alabama. I've got experience with the MM Fabrication Wing-rigger, and he has different saddles for the wing thicknesses. What works for a Grob 102 is likely too big for a LS-X, Ventus-X, etc.
Old February 5th 20, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Bralla

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 12:25:53 PM UTC-8, Charles Dutch wrote:
Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market. I'm looking for a;
1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
2) Wing stand
3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.

You can glue felt (McMaster-Carr) into a thick wing cradle to fit the thin wing.
Old February 5th 20, 06:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 2:58:15 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used market.. I'm looking for a;
1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country are two that are at the top of the list)
2) Wing stand
3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.

For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra padding as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-F...9934/100618242

I've used these, even with LAK-12 wings. However, I perhaps over-tightened one of the elevation locking handles (LAK-12 wing is heavy after all) and the handle broke. Other than that, they are pretty stout, fold flat and are stable on flat ground. However, I prefer more positive locking systems in general for regular use and these when doing other things.

YMMV

Frank Whiteley
Old February 5th 20, 11:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_6_]

On Tue, 04 Feb 2020 22:03:36 -0800, Frank Whiteley wrote:

On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 2:58:15 PM UTC-7, John Foster wrote:
On Tuesday, February 4, 2020 at 1:25:53 PM UTC-7, Charles Dutch wrote:
Before I go into the retail market, I thought I'd check the used
market. I'm looking for a;
1) Chair-style parachute (Softie Long, or a Strong 305 Cross-Country
are two that are at the top of the list)
2) Wing stand 3) One-man rigger with a narrow wing cradle.

For a wing stand I know some folks (me included) who use these from
Home Depot. I glued a rubber mat to the surface to give a little extra
padding as well.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-F...-Work-Support-

AC9934/100618242

I've used these, even with LAK-12 wings. However, I perhaps
over-tightened one of the elevation locking handles (LAK-12 wing is
heavy after all) and the handle broke. Other than that, they are pretty
stout, fold flat and are stable on flat ground. However, I prefer more
positive locking systems in general for regular use and these when doing
other things.

It should be easy enough to drill a hole for a locking pin once you know
the best height setting. Is this a good idea, or would it weaken the
upright too much?

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org

Old February 5th 20, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Yes, Home Depot....in the aviation department....glider wing stands...

I understand that some wood workers actually use these glider wing stands as an out-feed for a table saw...go figure...

Get a piece of Styrofoam insulation...2" think...attach to wing stand with double tape...carve to fit the curve of your wing....top off with Gym mat....rubber mat....

Cookie

Old February 5th 20, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

My LAK-17a required two height settings, low for pushing the wings home
and high for setting the pins.Â* I simply marked those settings with a
Sharpie.Â* I don't think drilling holes for safety pins would weaken the
uprights very much, but I would drill the holes for the set screws to
fit into.Â* Maybe even thread them.

I've helped rig a LAK-12 several times and, though heavy, the wing tips
aren't that bad.Â* The roots, on the other hand...

On 2/5/2020 4:37 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
[...]

Dan, 5J
Old February 6th 20, 06:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at 9:44:53 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
[...]

230lbs/panel. Locking pin should be doable.

Frank

Parachute rigger in Germany [email protected] Soaring 2 September 10th 18 09:31 AM
Wing Rigger Dan Marotta Soaring 2 September 3rd 16 02:54 PM
Looking for a parachute rigger around New York City... PAGA Soaring 6 December 24th 15 04:20 PM
Parachute Rigger near Ionia Allen Duncan Soaring 2 July 8th 15 12:18 AM
Looking for a used wing rigger / one man rigger .... [email protected] Soaring 0 November 6th 13 06:02 PM