roland radar around the Nellis ranges

Old September 12th 03, 08:35 PM
miso

Default roland radar around the Nellis ranges

Hope this isn't a dupe, but I didn't see last nights post show up.
http://www.lazygranch.com/sa.htm
Old September 12th 03, 09:48 PM
Harry Andreas

In article ,
(miso) wrote:

Hope this isn't a dupe, but I didn't see last nights post show up.
http://www.lazygranch.com/sa.htm

I wonder if this is one of the ones built by Hughes in the 80's.

I remember we got the engineering drawings from the French
and Germans, but they never sent us the engineering change
orders.
We ended up having to practically re-design the thing from
scratch. Cost a fortune. They had one of these in our parking
lot for show-and-tell for a couple of days.

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur
Old September 13th 03, 04:55 AM
miso

fas.org goes into the roland history and discusses American versions
in the Reagan era. It would not surprise me if a bunch of oddball SA
equipmemt ended up at Red Flag, especially since it's operation would
not be mission-critical, no missiles would be required, and the stuff
was going to be scrapped anyway.

The truck driver mentioned that the truck shown was built in the
1950s. It is getting hard to get parts for it.

Old September 13th 03, 05:21 AM
Les Matheson

Those were US buys for airbase defense in Europe. They were mothballed at
Ft. Hood before they could be deployed.

Les

om...

Old September 13th 03, 07:31 AM
moukari

Les Matheson wrote:
Those were US buys for airbase defense in Europe. They were mothballed at
Ft. Hood before they could be deployed.

Les

Roland was deployed by the New Mexico National Guard in the 80's.

Old September 13th 03, 05:36 PM
Paul Wilczynski

Hi,

The US also have a homebuilt SA-15 "TOR".
It was sent to France for the Electronic Warfare exercice "Mace X" a
couple of years ago.

Actually the US (I don't know the name of the unit) have lots of
foreign equipments to play with. (I just have learnt today they even
bought a couple of Flankers to Bielorussia !)

Paul Wilczynski

Old September 13th 03, 09:39 PM
Guy Alcala

miso wrote:

fas.org goes into the roland history and discusses American versions
in the Reagan era. It would not surprise me if a bunch of oddball SA
equipmemt ended up at Red Flag, especially since it's operation would
not be mission-critical, no missiles would be required, and the stuff
was going to be scrapped anyway.

And perhaps more importantly, Iraq among others operated them. At least, they were operational and used during DS, although
how operational they'd remain after a decade of sanctions is arguable.

Guy

Old September 13th 03, 11:19 PM
Brian

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
And perhaps more importantly, Iraq among others operated them. At least,

they were operational and used during DS, although
how operational they'd remain after a decade of sanctions is arguable.

We all know everyone would never violate trade sanctions......

Old September 14th 03, 02:59 AM
Guy Alcala

Brian wrote:

"Guy Alcala" wrote in message
. ..
And perhaps more importantly, Iraq among others operated them. At least,

they were operational and used during DS, although
how operational they'd remain after a decade of sanctions is arguable.

We all know everyone would never violate trade sanctions......

Sure, people/companies/countries cheat. No sanctions regime is 100% effective
and some a lot less than that, but it does tend to pit a crimp (of greater or
lesser extent) in procurement and support. I haven't seen any accounts so far
of what SAMs other than Manpads (and Patriot;-) ) we had to face this time
around, but don't recall any great number reportedly being used. I would
certainly think Iraq would have trouble keeping any Hawk batteries they got
from Kuwait in '90 in service, assuming any survived '91 and the intervening
years. They definitely used them in DS.

Guy

Old September 14th 03, 04:31 PM
TJ

"Guy Alcala"

And perhaps more importantly, Iraq among others operated them. At least,

they were operational and used during DS, although
how operational they'd remain after a decade of sanctions is arguable.

Guy

The Iraqi's still continued to fire Roland at Coalition manned and unmanned
aircraft operating in the NFZs. I've seen 2002 footage of a Roland launch
against a Predator in the SNFZ. Numerous Rolands and associated vehicles
have been found since the fall of Baghdad.

TJ