Flying club in Austin Tx.?

Old January 21st 07, 01:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
rustysflygirl

Default Flying club in Austin Tx.?

Hello from a newby. My husband and I will be moving to Austin in the next
few months (June @ the latest) and we are looking for GA information.
Aviation is our passion. Our little red plane is hangered here on our field
(CSG). I have read earlier posts inquiring about GA. Any changes or other
info concerning GA in Austin and surrounding areas. Does anyone know of any
available hangers? I have been reading up on Lago Vista, I don't know that I
can afford to buy and build a hanger AND buy a house as well. (poor pilot
but maybe someone will rent me space. Here at CSG we have a very strong GA
"family". We have at least monthly cookouts, frequent shrimp boils and
otherwise just great camaraderie . Is there a field around Austin where we
might find the same kind of friendship? Are there any flying clubs in the
area? We are looking for a home possibly in Lago Vista (maybe with a view of
the lake). But we are certainly open to suggestions.

Old January 21st 07, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Montblack

("rustysflygirl" wrote)
Hello from a newby. My husband and I will be moving to Austin in the next
few months (June @ the latest) and we are looking for GA information.
Aviation is our passion. Our little red plane is hangered here on our
field
(CSG).

Hello.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/KCSG
(KCSG) Columbus, Georgia

Austin area: Airpark ...on a lake?

Glad to help. :-)

Montblack

Old January 21st 07, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James M. Knox

"rustysflygirl" u31099@uwe wrote in news:6c90856659e51@uwe:

Hello from a newby. My husband and I will be moving to Austin in the
next few months (June @ the latest) and we are looking for GA
information.

Good... just in time for the summer "warmth." G

Aviation is our passion. Our little red plane is
hangered here on our field (CSG). I have read earlier posts inquiring
about GA.

It's hard to say with limited information. Depends on where you want to
live relative to Austin (it's a big spread-out town and having the
airport on one side with you on the other isn't a great arrangement).
There are some nice airparks around, but an undesirable commute if you
are working daily downtown. And wouldn't work for me, since my flying
pretty much requires a good instrument approach.

But there are LOTS of options, especially if you don't really want to
live anywhere near Austin. Lots of nice airports in neighboring cities,
and a number of airparks out in the highland lakes area.

Please feel free to e:mail me directly with more detail if you are
interested. And if you come to town before hand for a look-see, I can
pretty much always be talked into giving a sight-seeing flight. G

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1300 Koenig Lane West fax 512-371-5716
Suite 200
Austin, Tx 78756
Old January 23rd 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Barney Rubble

Lago vista did have some hangars last time I asked, but check with the
Airport owner. Taylor has a 2 year waiting list, Georgetown has a 4+ year
waiting list and forget about Bergstrom, no hangars unless you have a
citation... I know of someone who recently rented a hangar at Spicewood
(88R). If you are moving because you are going to work in Austin, then
Spicewood is a little far out for regular commuting, also the runway is
quite tricky (30 ft x 4000 ft with a 'hump in the middle and quite often a
good x-wind), unlit, and has not IAP's . Another option is San Marcos, which
is about 40 miles south of Austin, and has hangars.Further south is New
Brunfels, and they have plenty of hangars and covered parking.

There is one site left at Breakaway Airpark near Cedar Park (north). I spoke
to the realtor and they were wanting $100K for 1/2 an acre which backs up to
a Albertsons (read noise), but there was no taxiway to the lot so the hangar
was remote (and another $80k). Most houses there are expensive ($500K+) with
doctor/lawyer types.. I have heard a rumor of another possible airpark on
the north east side of Austin (near the near TX 130 toll road) but so far
nothing. Since Austin Executive closed when Dell muscled onto the land,
there has been a real shortage of hangars and airports in the area. They are
trying to build a new airport in the metro area but so far the NIMBY's are
winning and no suitable site has been found. Of course getting any new
airport built these days requires an act of god.

drop an email address on this group if you want me to reply privately to
you.

- Tim

There is a good community up at GTU, but apart from the UT fliers club, I
don't know of any other flying clubs.

Old January 23rd 07, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
James M. Knox

"Barney Rubble" wrote in
:

There is one site left at Breakaway Airpark near Cedar Park (north). I
spoke to the realtor and they were wanting $100K for 1/2 an acre which
backs up to a Albertsons (read noise), but there was no taxiway to the
lot so the hangar was remote (and another $80k). Most houses there are
expensive ($500K+) with doctor/lawyer types.. I have heard a rumor of
another possible airpark on the north east side of Austin (near the
near TX 130 toll road) but so far nothing.

That sounds like Cross Country Estates. I believe they have a web site.

Old January 24th 07, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Barney Rubble

Nope, they're different airparks, we have two in the area! Cross Country is
out in the boonies, 07TS (http://www.airparks.com/07ts/ ) , and Breakaway
Airpark is 40XS (http://www.airnav.com/airport/40XS)

- Barney

"James M. Knox" wrote in message