Coordinated turning stall and spins

Old November 12th 03, 12:52 AM
Chris OCallaghan

Default Coordinated turning stall and spins

Posted this to the discussion on spinning Blaniks from a coordinated turning stall.

November 9, 2003
Turning Stalls and Insipient Spins

As promised, apropos to this discussion on spin entry from coordinated
turning stalls, I took a tow this morning to 5000 feet agl and
performed a series of coordinated and cross control turning stalls.

The aircraft used was a Ventus 2bx, delivered this year. I have
approximately 75 hours in this aircraft and about 525 hours total in
the model. I flew the glider at approximately 70% of the aft cg limit.
Wing loading was 7.8 lbs per square foot. All stalls were entered in
the first positive flap position.

My intention was as follows: to perform a series of turning stalls,
both coordinated and cross controlled, to determine the departure and
post departure characteristics of a modern fiberglass sailplane.
Stalls were entered gently and in a shallow bank (lower wingtip on
horizon). Whether coordinated or cross controlled, I fixed the
controls in the pre-departure position for three full seconds after
departure (that is, no attempt was made to recover immediately after
the stall break).

Once off tow I completed two clearing turns, then stalled the glider
wings level twice to establish attitude. I then entered a coordinated
shallow left turn and gently eased back on the stick. The stall broke
cleanly. The glider initially yawed about 30 degrees to the left,
dropped its nose through the horizon, then began to increase its bank
angle and gain speed. G forces accumulated and I recovered from the
spiral dive at about 80 knots and roughly 70 degrees of bank. (As
noted above, the elevator was held firmly aft and aileron and rudder
neutral until recovery was initiated.

I repeated the same maneuver to the right. The stall break was less
clean (more mushy). Development of the ensuing spiral dive was slower,
but airspeed and bank angle both accumulated until I released the
controls and initiated a recovery.

I repeated this sequence with like results.

I then entered a shallow bank turning stall (left) while skidding
slightly. As the low wing began to drop, I applied about ½ stick
travel to the right, ostensibly to raise the dropping wing. Entry into
the spin was immediate and dramatic. The glider yawed approximately
ninety degrees while dropping it nose to about 60 degrees below the
horizon. I left the controls in this position for a count of three
(one one thousand, two one thousand…) The glider completed
approximately 1.25 rotations before I initiated a recovery (stick
forward, ailerons neutral, opposite rudder, pull up from dive).

I repeated this process to the right. However, this time, I gently
accelerated the stall (achieving a slightly higher nose attitude
before departure). Once again, I skidded the turn (10 to 20 degrees),
and tried to pick up the low wing as it stalled, this time with full
deflection of the aileron. The ensuing spin entry was even more
dramatic. I was unable to measure rotation rate (even roughly) because
the glider's nose went immediately past vertical. As I lost the
horizon I became disoriented, until I looked out at the wingtip and
found the horizon again. I nonetheless fixed the controls for a count
of three. There was no noticeable g build up until I initiated a spin
recovery. Max speed during the dive was just above 120 knots, about 20
knots more than I typically see for a recovery from a fully developed
spin.

It should be noted that my glider has a flap redline of 80 knots. In
all cases, if airspeed exceeded 80 knots, I moved the flap handle to
the first negative position.

My interpretation: while the glider exhibited a yawing motion during
the coordinated turning stall, it did not auto rotate, nor did it show
any such propensity. Some pilots may find the dropping wing, yaw
motion, and reduced g force of a coordinated turning stall
disquieting, but when compared in sequence to an actual autorotation
leading to a fully developed spin, the prior is patently docile.
Height loss after an immediate recovery from a coordinated turning
stall using a release of back pressure and coordinated ailerons and
rudder could be measured in 10s of feet. The spin, however, from entry
to the bottom of the dive recovery was measured in hundreds. Loss of
height for the first spin, from entry, through development, to the
bottom of the recovery dive was 475 feet. The second: 750 feet.

Conclusions: draw your own.
Old November 12th 03, 03:19 AM
Andy Blackburn

Good test card Chris.

Thanks for the great info.

9B

Old November 12th 03, 11:49 AM
Don Johnstone

Excellent post, I do have a couple of questions.
Did the glider start to recover from the spin with
positive flap selected? My understanding is that in
a flapped glider the first action is to zero the flaps.
Do you think that by selecting a negative flap setting
this accelerated the glider to a greater velocity than
selecting zero flap would have done? (I do not know
offhand the limiting speed for a Ventus in zero flap)

You quote figures of 475ft and 750ft for the fully
developed spiins. Do you have any figures for the spiral
dives off the co-ordinated turns? (I do note that you
delayed recovery for 3 seconds) It seems to me that
any stall in the final turn will result in hitting
the ground before recovery can be completed which bears
out what I have always said, teaching people to recognise
the approach of a stall and/or spin, and take appropriate
preventive action, is more important than teaching
spin recovery.

One final question, if a spin is entered at 300 feet
should recovery even be attempted? Are the chances
of survival greater if the glider hits the ground spinning
than if it is part recovered and 'tent pegged'? Interesting
what?

Old November 12th 03, 04:21 PM
Michael Stringfellow

Similar tests were also done in South Africa on a fully ballasted Ventus 2b
after a fatal accident there last year. The findings were that the ship was
generally very stable, but could snap into a spin if not properly
controlled - sometimes going inverted. Recovery heights were alarmingly
large. The fatal accident occurred off tow from under 1,000 feeet, as I
recall.

Mike

ASW 20 WA

om...

Old November 12th 03, 05:55 PM
Chris OCallaghan

My resosponses in-line below...

Don Johnstone wrote in message ...
Excellent post, I do have a couple of questions.
Did the glider start to recover from the spin with
positive flap selected? My understanding is that in
a flapped glider the first action is to zero the flaps.
Do you think that by selecting a negative flap setting
this accelerated the glider to a greater velocity than
selecting zero flap would have done? (I do not know
offhand the limiting speed for a Ventus in zero flap)

Correct, I should have added that as part of spin recovery I moved the
flap to the first negative position. Though this is not expressly
dictated in the flight manual, the ensuing dive will certainly exceed
the flap redline (including 0 degrees). And, of course, dumping the
flap will immediately decrease AOA.

You quote figures of 475ft and 750ft for the fully
developed spiins. Do you have any figures for the spiral
dives off the co-ordinated turns? (I do note that you
delayed recovery for 3 seconds) It seems to me that
any stall in the final turn will result in hitting
the ground before recovery can be completed which bears
out what I have always said, teaching people to recognise
the approach of a stall and/or spin, and take appropriate
preventive action, is more important than teaching
spin recovery.

Approximately 200 to 250 feet, including the 3 second delay prior to
recovery. Unfortunately, my trace from the flight is not particularly
instructive. My FR was set at 4s intervals, so it doesn't show much
detail. Height loss is interpolated from the pressure altitude trace
as rendered in SeeYou.

One final question, if a spin is entered at 300 feet
should recovery even be attempted? Are the chances
of survival greater if the glider hits the ground spinning
than if it is part recovered and 'tent pegged'? Interesting
what?

That's a tough one to answer. I see your point: better to hit the
ground at 70 knots than 100 knots. In either case I suspect the
results will be the same. I suppose it a matter of whether you expire
at the scene or several hours later in an ICU. To that end, I'd always
try to recover -- your chances of survival going from miniscule to
maybe.

Old November 12th 03, 09:18 PM
Don Johnstone

Thanks for your responses. My reason for posing the
final question is not so much speed as deceleration.
I once saw a tiger moth hit the ground spinning, both
pilots survived albeit one is now a paraplegic. It
is not just forward speed but a matter of what strikes
the ground first, a matter of pure chance I agree.
What is certain is that in a dive the most likely thing
to reach the scene of the accident first is the nose
of the glider where the soft part sits. This may indeed
happen in a spin but forward speed is not the main
factor, it is the rate of descent and will this be
less in a spin than in a dived and accelerating condition?
It's not speed that kills you it's stopping. I really
don't know and I am not eager to find out either :-)
Whatever the answer the best solution is to avoid the
spin in the first place but sadly it is not a perfect
world.
The only difference between a fatal and non-fatal accident
is the dead body and that can also be a matter of pure
blind chance.

Snip

Old November 13th 03, 12:08 AM
Duane Eisenbeiss

"Don Johnstone" wrote in
message ...

One final question, if a spin is entered at 300 feet
should recovery even be attempted? Are the chances
of survival greater if the glider hits the ground spinning
than if it is part recovered and 'tent pegged'? Interesting
what?

As a matter of interest in this subject let me provide the following.
In the early 1960s I rebuilt a Pratt-Read glider. This glider was used by
the USA Navy during early WW 2 (1941-42?) for flight training. During the
rebuild I obtained an original Navy Flight Manual for the glider. In the
manual, in bold print, was a sentence that stated " If entering a spin below
1000 feet DO NOT attempt recovery."
The reason for this was that the Pratt-Read tended to spin flat. Recovery
from a spin was near vertical for several hundred feet at a speed of more
than 100 mph. Vertical speed in the flat spin was something like 500
ft/min. Therefore it was deemed safer to hit the ground in a flat spin
rather that nose down in a vertical dive.
I would think that most (all??) modern gliders will not spin flat.
Therefore, whether one allows the spin to continue or attempts recovery, the
attitude of the glider will be nose down. With a recovery attempt there is
at least a chance of survival.

Duane

Old November 13th 03, 03:53 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Don,

I underestand completely your concerns. It's a subject that's troubled
me for a long time, and I seem prone to flip flopping. The problem
isn't so much a question of energy... you'll have less in the spin
than in the ensuing dive after recovery (both of which are nose down),
but having a "procedure" that you can apply without thinking. When
close to the ground, you simply don't have time to observe and react
to more than a few inputs. For example, if I were to cross-control the
aircraft into a stall below 300 feet, if I were over trees, I might
just lock up the controls, close my eyes, and get ready for the hurt.
But to do this I would have to overcome my rote training... that is,
if I sense a departure, I recover immediately. I'm not sure that type
of switch would be valuable. The lesson I've taken away from this
discussion is that in the pattern, the yaw string stays bolt straight.
An unexpected stall can be handled if the aircraft is coordinated. If
not, the bottom falls out quickly.

If you accept as axiomatic that a stall can happen at any speed and at
any attitude, then I have to place priority on coordination fist,
airspeed second, though both are clearly primary concerns in the
pattern.

It is a virtue, or perhaps a nuissance, of our sport, that when near
the ground, the envelope narrows significantly. Between 1000 agl and
10 agl is like climbing solo. Falling is not an option, and we need to
attune ourselves to that.
Old November 13th 03, 04:31 PM
Chris OCallaghan

Andy, see below my comments in line

Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to post this report.

It seems that the test aircraft is very unforgiving of poor recovery
technique. Is this typical of modern 15m ships?

Of those I've flown, yes and no. Most are very resistant to stalling
if the yaw string is straight back. They will mush rathar than
departing. However, they are all intolerant of improper recovery. Note
that in my coordinated turning stalls I initiated no recovery. I
simply let the glider seeks its own path. By keeping the ailerons and
rudder neutral, I was letting the tail do its job -- that is,
providing stability. (It was my original contention that if you didn't
stick an aileron into the airstream, the stalled wing couldn't produce
enough drag to overpower the tail.)

I have always entered spins through a misapplication of the controls.
Various models differ in the amount of misuse they'll tolerate. For
example, a Lark IS-28 will spin if you stick your hand out the clear
view in a left turning stall (only a slight exageration). The Grob 103
has only a very small spin entry window -- to the point that most
pilots don't have the patience to find it and thus pronounce it
unspinnable. And yet, once in the spin, the 103 is perhaps the most
interesting. (The SGS 1-26E is, in my opinion, the ultimate spin
training platform. Easy entry (big ailerons), easy recovery (just let
go), and a very stable spinning motion that lets you get used to
attitude and rotation rate. Only disadvantage is that you'll be
teaching yourself. Start high.)

How would it have
behaved in the same situation with a full ballast load?

So long as the CG remains the same, yes, I think so. But recovery
would, in all cases, require more altitude. Frankly, I don't do much
experimenting with water on board. I am too heavy to fly at or below
gross with full tanks, and I don't like the idea of flinging 2/3 of a
tank of water out to the tip during a spin. That assymetry would only
add to the altitude I'd eat up during recovery.

When I transitioned from the ASW-19 to the ASW-28 I explored its
characteristics in turning stalls at the aft cg limit and found, just
like the 19, it was benign even with abused control inputs.

The 19 is a pussycat. And though I haven't flown the 28 yet, I bet
it's even sweeter.

Andy (GY)