Where in Seattle?

Old March 6th 05, 12:01 AM
Jay Honeck

Default Where in Seattle?

Okay, so we're stuck flying the executive mailing tube to Seattle in
May, to attend my nephew's wedding. I just don't have time to fly
Atlas all the way, and I can't risk being held up by weather.

For all you Washingtonians, where is the best "suites-type" of hotel to
stay? I won't have a lot of free time, but I'd like to stay somewhere
near the Museum of Flight so I can sneak over there when the family
stuff becomes too stifling.

Any recommendations?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 05, 01:32 AM
Mike Adams

"Jay Honeck" wrote:

Okay, so we're stuck flying the executive mailing tube to Seattle in
May, to attend my nephew's wedding. I just don't have time to fly
Atlas all the way, and I can't risk being held up by weather.

For all you Washingtonians, where is the best "suites-type" of hotel to
stay? I won't have a lot of free time, but I'd like to stay somewhere
near the Museum of Flight so I can sneak over there when the family
stuff becomes too stifling.

Any recommendations?

One of the locals could provide a better answer, since I haven't been there in a few years, but we used to
stay either in Belleview or Renton, and there are lots of hotels down around the SeaTac airport. The
museum is at Boeing Field, which is somewhat of an industrial area and not many hotels in the
immediate area as I recall. You might also consider what part of town the wedding and your relatives are
in, since freeway travel can be a challenge.

Enjoy the trip - it's a beautiful area if you hit the weather right.

Mike
Old March 6th 05, 02:00 AM
kage

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, so we're stuck flying the executive mailing tube to Seattle in

There isn't ANY nice place near the museum, none.

If I were going to take my wife and kids into Seattle I'd stay on the
waterfront, probably the Marriott Courtyard. From there you can walk up the
hill to the famous Pike Street Market and downtown.

http://marriott.com/property/propert...rshaCode=SEAWF

That way you could drive to the museum and never have to be on the freeways,
which are usually a nightmare.

Lots of stuff to do on the waterfront and Anthony's, one of the best
restaurants in town, is right across the street.

There are plenty of 4* hotels downtown as well.

Best,
Karl

Old March 6th 05, 03:14 AM
vincent p. norris

I'd like to stay somewhere near the Museum of Flight so
I can sneak over there when the family stuff becomes too stifling.

You'd better sneak over there *whether or not* the family stuff
becomes too stifling. It's much too good to miss.

vince norris
Old March 6th 05, 08:41 AM

There is a real nice Aviation theme inn there...

Oops. Never mind,, That one is in Iowa.

Sorry.

N801BH

Old March 6th 05, 09:55 AM
Gary

Don't know about lodgings but I will get backto you about that.

Man I live within about 1 1/2 hour drive to the museum of flight at boeing
field and have never been there!!! my bad!!!
I have some friends that live in the area and will ask them about good
motels/hotels around the area.

I stayed in the Hawthorne Hotel near SeaTac Airport when I was racing at
Seattle International Raceway couple years ago and It was nice but,,,...was
not any where near Boeing Field, So that does not help you much!

If you have time try comming up to Vancouver BC Canada to see the sights. If
you have skis try out Whistler/Blackcomb. I was just there last weekend and
the sking was great. (cheap for me cause my friend works there and I got
employee discount). And your American dollar is worth a little more up
here!!

Anyway like I said I have some friends that live in the area and will ask
them about lodging!!

Gary

ups.com...

Old March 6th 05, 02:23 PM
Jay Honeck

Anyway like I said I have some friends that live in the area and will ask
them about lodging!!

Thanks, Gary -- and all who answered.

I don't think I'll have much time to be a tourist, so Vancouver will have to
wait for another trip. I'll only be in Seattle four days, with practically
a full day taken up with airline travel.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 6th 05, 06:33 PM
Demonick

On 5 Mar 2005 15:01:00 -0800, Jay Honeck wrote:

For all you Washingtonians, where is the best "suites-type" of hotel to
stay? I won't have a lot of free time, but I'd like to stay somewhere
near the Museum of Flight so I can sneak over there when the family
stuff becomes too stifling.

Jay,

I live in Seattle. Not many hotels around the Museum of Flight or
BFI. Best bet is to stay downtown and take a cab to the MoF. The 'W'
is a nice hotel. The Four Seasons and the Edgewater are too. The
closer you can get to the waterfront, the better. Use mapquest to
place the hotels.

Drop me an email a few days before your arrival. I work near
downtown. Maybe we can hook up. Are you a cigar smoker, per chance?
We may miss each other depending the timing as I'll be in NOLA some
time in May.

Demonick
Snohomish, WA, Harvey Field, S43
http://www.primetab.com/flying
Old March 6th 05, 08:06 PM
Peter Duniho

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
ups.com...
Okay, so we're stuck flying the executive mailing tube to Seattle in
May, to attend my nephew's wedding. I just don't have time to fly
Atlas all the way, and I can't risk being held up by weather.

For all you Washingtonians, where is the best "suites-type" of hotel to
stay?

Addressing a variety of topics in this thread in a single post...

It's "Bellevue", not "Belleview", in case you're wondering why you're having
trouble looking that city up. Bellevue is the next largest city near
Seattle, but as with Tacoma and (especially) Everett (other major cities in
the area), not very conveniently located for Boeing Field. Though, you
don't say where the wedding is and it might be convenient for that.

Of course, you don't define what "sneak over" means either. You're not
going to walk to the Museum of Flight from pretty much anywhere worth
staying. Even from Bellevue or Renton, it's only going to be about a 20
minute drive (maybe only 15 minutes from Renton), since you're so close to
the major highways in the area.

In the Eastside area (includes Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Renton, and
others) all the lodging I know of is the big chain variety. There's the
Marriott Residence Inn, Doubletree Suites, and Extended Stay Suites, to name
a few. Unless the wedding is on the Eastside, you probably won't be
interested in any of those.

In Seattle itself, you've already gotten some good recommendations. Don't
confuse the Marriott Courtyard (which is on Lake Union) with the Seattle
Marriott Waterfront (which is near Pike Place Market and the Seattle
waterfront). The Courtyard is nowhere near Pike Place Market or the Seattle
waterfront (though, being on Lake Union, does have prime viewing location
for the VERY busy Kenmore Air Harbor seaplane traffic).

I can vouch for the Edgewater (having stayed there myself) as well as the
Fairmont (referred to in another post by its previous name, the Four
Seasons...friends of ours from Hawaii only stay there when they visit). The
W is okay, but a little too artificially trendy for my tastes. The Westin
is more of a classic high end hotel, but IMHO they can be a bit snooty if
you don't fit their expectation of the ideal clientele. None of those are
"suites specialty" places, but of course all offer suites.

One note about the Edgewater: try to avoid getting a room along the east end
of the south side of the building. I'd be surprised if they had any suites
there anyway, but those rooms all face out to the adjacent pier, with very
bright lights on all night. Not the best view, and being forced to keep the
drapes closed all night isn't very fun when you're right on the water with
great views nearby.

I suspect of all the potential places to stay, the Edgewater might provide
the most unique and distinctive experience.

Of course, the above only grazes the surface with respect to available
lodging. As a large(ish) city, Seattle has plenty of high quality hotels to
choose from. A resource like AAA or the Seattle Chamber of Commerce would
give you a much more comprehensive listing, though of course without the
personal "word of mouth" aspect.

As far as the Hawthorne at SeaTac being "not anywhere near" Boeing Field,
I'd have to disagree. SeaTac airport itself is VERY close to Boeing Field,
and anything within the SeaTac city limits is not a heck of a lot farther
from Boeing Field than anything in Seattle. That said, staying under the
shadow of SeaTac airport is probably not what you had in mind.

For all the words, I guess there's not much information in this post.
Feel free to ask for elaboration or provide more details if we as a group
haven't answered your question.

Pete

Old March 6th 05, 09:26 PM
Big John

Jay

Get a car and stay almost anyplace in/near Seattle.

Good meuseum to visit (lots of heavy Iron) is about 20 miles +/- north
of Seattle. Ask some of the locals for location.

I enjoyed it better than the meuseum near SeaTac.

Big John

Seattle TFRs Robert M. Gary Piloting 6 July 7th 04 01:13 AM
Seattle Midair Mark Navarre Soaring 1 April 11th 04 08:31 PM
Centenial of Flight at MOF (Seattle) Jack G Military Aviation 0 December 3rd 03 12:59 AM
Concorde Lands at Museum of Flight in Seattle [email protected] Owning 0 November 6th 03 01:15 AM
Presidential TFR violations in Seattle? C J Campbell Piloting 16 August 26th 03 03:34 PM