Piper Pathfinder Article

Old March 11th 04, 03:53 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Larry Dighera wrote:

I'm sure you are correct about the difference between individual
tolerance to hypoxia. I recall reading that General Yeager was able
to withstand operating at 20,000' without oxygen.

Nearly all of the pilots in the Great War could. Only some of the German aircraft
had oxygen systems, and I've not heard of any Allied aircraft that did. Ceiling
on the S.P.A.D. was 6,000 meters, according to Nordhoff and Hall.

George Patterson
Battle, n; A method of untying with the teeth a political knot that would
not yield to the tongue.
Old March 11th 04, 04:14 PM
Mike Rapoport

I must have missed OSH that year. I would really like to see the AN225 and
have always liked the *biggest* anything. Anyway, you might show this:

http://www.metal-club.org/12-Cylinder.html

to your mechanic for his new boat.

Mike
MU-2

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
Jay, you could put your Pathfinder (full fuel, four 200lb people and
baggage), AND the Mighty Grape, AND your motel inside and bring the lot

OSH where you could probably get a lot more for your aviation suites.

Yeah, I saw that monster a few years ago -- I think at OSH?

It was parked nose-to-nose with our own C-5 Galaxy -- quite a sight!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 04, 04:22 PM
Jay Honeck

Holy crap -- that's an ENGINE!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old March 11th 04, 04:51 PM
Peter R.

Mike Rapoport ) wrote:

Another photo of a manly high wing.

http://www.mach3graphics.com/misc%20...20&%20MU2J.jpg

That Russian aircraft had better watch the MU2's wake turbulence.

--
Peter

Old March 14th 04, 01:04 AM
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 01:18:12 GMT, "Mike Rapoport"
wrote in Message-Id:
.net:

I suspect that the 182's shorter landing performance has more to do with its
better flaps and consequent lower approach speed than with ground effect.

The PA28's flaps are considerably closer to the pavement than the
Cessna's. That might increase ground effect. I agree, that a heaver
load at a higher speed is a significant contributor to the PA28's
longer landing run also.

Perhaps there are errors in the specifications posted:

john smith wrote in Message-Id:

:
keeping in mind that these are 1974 models...
Pathfinder 182
average equipped new list price $36,490 $30,475
current values $63,000 $79,000
price appreciation factor 172% 259%
gross weight (lbs) 3,000 2,950
empty weight (lbs) 1,550 1,645
useful load (lbs) 1,450 1,305
horsepower 235 230
power loading (lbs/hp) 12.8 12.8
wing loading (lbs/sqft) 17.6 16.9

Service Ceiling (ft) 13,550 17,700
total fuel capacity (gal) 82 79
payload, max fuel (lbs) 958 831
cruise speed, 75% (kts) 133 139
best rate of climb SL (fpm) 800 890
Vso 52 50
takeoff run (ft) 850 705
landing run (ft) 1,040 590

TAP proffers these considerably different numbers:

http://www.trade-a-plane.com/unprote...erf_1475B.html
PIPER PA28-235 PATHFINDER
Engine: LYC O-540-B4B5 75% Cruise: 133 kts Wingspan: 32.00 ft
Horsepower: 235 Stall: 52 kts Length: 24.08 ft
Rec'md TBO: 2000 hrs Range: 915 nm Height: 7.25 ft
Srv Ceiling: 14500 ft Empty Wt: 1435 lbs
Std Fuel: 50 gal Gross Wt: 2900 lbs
Max Fuel: 84 gal
Takeoff (over 50 ft obstacle): 1040 ft
Landing (over 50 ft obstacle): 1060 ft
Takeoff: 600 ft
Landing: 550 ft

Here are Plane and Pilot magazine's numbers:
http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/cont...essna182s.html
2000 Cessna 182S

SPECIFICATIONS
Base Price: $227,900
Engine make/model: Lycoming IO-540-AB1A5
Horsepower@rpm@altitude: 230@2400@SL
Horsepower For Takeoff: 230
TBO hours: 2000
Fuel Type: 100/100LL
Propeller type/diameter (in.): McCauley CS three-blade/79 in.
Landing gear type: Tri/Fixed
Max ramp weight (lbs.): 3110
Gross weight (lbs): 3100
Landing weight (lbs.): 2950
Std. empty weight (lbs.): 1928
Useful load - std. (lbs.): 1182
Payload - full std. fuel (lbs.): 654
Usable fuel - std. (gals.): 88
Oil capacity (qts.): 9
Wingspan (ft.-in) 36
Overall length (ft.): 29
Height (ft.-in): 9 ft. 4 in.
Wing area (sq. ft.): 174
Wing loading (lbs./sq. ft.): 17.8
Power loading (lbs./hp.): 13.5
Wheel track (ft.): 9
Wheel size: 6.00 x 6
Seating capacity: 4
Cabin doors: 2
Cabin width (in.): 42
Cabin height (in.): 48.5
Baggage capacity (lbs.): 200
PERFORMANCE
Cruise speed (knots):
Altitude Speed
80% power: 6000 140
65% power: 8000 130
55% power: 10,000 121
Max range (with IFR reserve) (nm):
75% power: 6000 820
65% power: 10,000 910
55% power: 10,000 968
Fuel consumption (gph):
75% power @ 6000 ft.: 12.5
65% power @ 8000 ft.: 11.1
55% power @ 10,000 ft.: 9.5

Estimated endurance (65%) (hrs.): 7.0
Stall speed (gear, flaps up) (kts.): 56
Stall speed (gear, flaps down) (kts.): 50
Best rate of climb (fpm): 924
Best rate of climb (@8,000 ft.) (fpm): 565 (est.)
Service ceiling (ft.): 18,100
Takeoff ground roll (ft.): 795
Takeoff over 50-ft. obstacle (ft.): 1514
Landing ground roll (ft.): 590
Landing over 50-ft. obstacle (ft.): 1350

1968 PIPER CHEROKEE 235C (N9474W)

SPECIFICATIONS
Engine make/model: Lycoming O-540-B4B5
Horsepower@altitude: 235@SL
Horsepower for takeoff: 235
TBO hours: 2000
Fuel type: 100/100LL
Propeller type: Hartzell CS
Landing gear type: Tri/Fixed
Max ramp weight (lbs.): 2900
Gross weight (lbs.): 2900
Landing weight (lbs.): 2900
Std. empty weight (lbs.): 1467
Useful load - std. (lbs.): 1433
Payload - full std. fuel (lbs.): 929
Usable fuel - std. (gals.): 84
Oil capacity (qts.): 12
Wingspan (ft.): 32
Overall length: 23 ft. 9 in.
Height: 7 ft. 1 in.
Wing area (sq. ft.): 171.6
Wing loading (lbs./sq. ft.): 17
Power loading (lbs./hp): 12.4
Wheel size (in.): 6.00 x 6
Seating capacity: 4
Cabin doors: 1
Cabin width (in.): 44
Cabin height (in.): 47
Baggage capacity (lbs.): 200
PERFORMANCE
Cruise speed (knots):
ALTITUDE SPEED
75% power: 8000 136
65% power: 8000 130
55% power: 8000 122
Max range (with reserve) (nm):
75% power: 813*
65% power: 879*
55% power: 949*
Fuel consumption (@.42lbs./hp/hr.)(gph):
75% power: 12.3*
65% power: 10.7*
55% power: 9.0*
Estimated endurance- 65% (hrs.): 6.5*
Stall speed - flaps up (kts.): 57
Stall speed - flaps down (kts.): 52
Best rate of climb SL(fpm): 825
Best rate of climb, 8000 ft. (fpm): 500*
Service ceiling (ft.) 14,500
Takeoff ground roll (ft.): 800
Takeoff over 50-ft. obstacle (ft.): 1360
Landing ground roll (ft.): 680
Landing over 50-ft. obstacle (ft.): 1300
* calculated

Have you any idea of the correct figures? Plane and Pilot only shows
a 1 knot difference in Vs.