Aircrew casualities

Old September 17th 03, 05:16 AM
Guy Alcala

ArtKramr wrote:

Subject: Aircrew casualities

snip

In the B-26 we had no escape hatch at all. The bombardier had along path to
creawl in front of the copilot then out the bombay. A long trip indeed. Maybe
we should break down the losses by aircraft type rather than lumping all
bombers together

You have to do that at a minimum, and also you may have to modify things by
mission type, theater etc. A B-25 strafer in the PTO is likely to have very a
different crew casualty breakdown than the same a/c doing medium altitude bombing
in the MTO.

Guy

Old September 17th 03, 01:34 PM
Mike Marron

(ArtKramr) wrote:

Interesting.We never took evasive action against fighters.we jus tightened our
formation, stayed on course and returned their fire. We did take evasive action
against flak. Find their parachutes??? We wore them from the ground up.Y'mean
the Brits didn't??? If you got hit and didn't have your chute on it was often
too late to put it on.

Would you shoot the Jerry *******s in their chutes?

-Mike (I damn sure would've) Marron

Old September 17th 03, 06:32 PM

Mike Marron wrote:

Would you shoot the Jerry *******s in their chutes?

-Mike (I damn sure would've) Marron

I'm sure that the Allies thought that that idea was very
counterproductive because of the 'tit for tat' syndrome.

There'd be many more Allied 'chutists' than German chutists so
it's not a great habit to promote.

-Gord (I damned sure wouldn't) Beaman
Old September 17th 03, 06:51 PM
Mike Marron

"Gord Beaman" ) wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

Would you shoot the Jerry *******s in their chutes?

-Mike (I damn sure would've) Marron

I'm sure that the Allies thought that that idea was very
counterproductive because of the 'tit for tat' syndrome.

There'd be many more Allied 'chutists' than German chutists so
it's not a great habit to promote.

-Gord (I damned sure wouldn't) Beaman

Haven't you heard all the stories of the Luftwaffe strafing downed
allied pilots coming down their chutes or seen those old, grainy
B&W clips of allied forces being slaughtered in their chutes by the
Germans?

-Mike Marron

Old September 17th 03, 07:50 PM

Mike Marron wrote:

Haven't you heard all the stories of the Luftwaffe strafing downed
allied pilots coming down their chutes or seen those old, grainy
B&W clips of allied forces being slaughtered in their chutes by the
Germans?

-Mike Marron

Of course but ISTR that it was looked upon as a bad thing to do
(of course) and was discouraged heavily for the reason that I
mentioned. I could of course be wrong, not having BT&DT.

Perhaps Art could give us his impressions?. What did they tell
you Art?.
--

-Gord.
Old September 17th 03, 08:16 PM
Erik Plagen

"Mike Marron" wrote in message
"Gord Beaman" (wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

Would you shoot the Jerry *******s in their chutes?

-Mike (I damn sure would've) Marron

I'm sure that the Allies thought that that idea was very
counterproductive because of the 'tit for tat' syndrome.

Haven't you heard all the stories of the Luftwaffe strafing downed
allied pilots coming down their chutes
-Mike Marron

That;s all they were- "stories" or fairy tales!

We never tried to shoot down Crew Members in their chutes!

You are thinking of the Japanese.

Erik