old NEXRAD - screen shot

Old August 21st 07, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

Default old NEXRAD - screen shot

http://tinyurl.com/2mz2y9

Upper right corner.

Note the age of the NEXRAD vs. the age of the XM lightning.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 21st 07, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul kgyy

On Aug 21, 8:59 am, "Dan Luke" wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/2mz2y9

I can't access the image - would you provide the info directly?

Old August 21st 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marco Leon

I think it has something to do with how the picture is compiled. See:
http://www.flyingmag.com/article.asp...age_numb er=1

Since the radar sweeps take time (20 seconds for each 360 deg sweep) and
multiple are needed (14) to get a full vertical picture, it takes about 5
minutes for a complete volume scan.

Being a "system" involving many possible points of failure (not necessarily
catastrophic, sometimes just hiccups) a delay of 17 minutes seems to be
entirely possible albeit uncommon. The good thing is that it's kind enough
to show its age

Marco

Old August 21st 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Paul kgyy" wrote:

I can't access the image - would you provide the info directly?

For some reason, the direct link has quit working.

Try this one and go to the bottom of the page:

http://rides.webshots.com/album/559437187xuvaYf

Old August 22nd 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Airbus" wrote:

For the entire world outside the US, including all of Europe, NEXRAD is
still 15-20 years in the future . . .

Believe me, I'm grateful to have it.

What do you do for EADS?

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 23rd 07, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

http://tinyurl.com/2mz2y9

Upper right corner.

Note the age of the NEXRAD vs. the age of the XM lightning.

According to various people on the Cessna Pilots Ass'n forums, it's a bug that
crept in wiyh a redesign of the G1000's GDL69/69A XM receiver module. Garmin
is working on a fix.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

Old August 23rd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2007-08-21, Dan Luke wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/2mz2y9

That's my old stamping ground - used to use Beaumont for instrument
training since they have virtually every approach known to mankind :-)

A bit OT for this thread, but I heard the Trinity VOR burned down
recently - did they replace it? I notice it's depicted on your moving
map.

Old August 24th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Luke[_2_]

"Dylan Smith" wrote:

A bit OT for this thread, but I heard the Trinity VOR burned down
recently - did they replace it? I notice it's depicted on your moving
map.

There was nothing in the NOTAMs about it. I never tuned it in.

--
Dan
T-182T at BFM

old NEXRAD Dan Luke[_2_] Piloting 10 August 27th 07 03:38 PM
sferics vs Nexrad Jose Instrument Flight Rules 18 August 18th 06 03:33 AM
Shot at/Shot back Bob McKellar Military Aviation 33 March 11th 04 07:53 PM