1909 film of Wright flyer in France

Old April 6th 09, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

Default 1909 film of Wright flyer in France

On Apr 2, 2:45*pm, wrote:
On Apr 1, 5:40*pm, Steve Hix wrote:

In article ,
*"Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My Sig.com wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message
Excellent historical film of a 1909 demo flight by the Wright brothers
in France, including a short segment from an on-board camera.

http://www.europafilmtreasures.eu/PY...que.htm?ID=322

Thanks for the clip! Usually I only see about 10 seconds of this
film.

FYI, the location was actually in Italy. The production company was
French. The film bio lists the date as April 24 1909, which is
consistant with what I remember from the Wright notebooks. (The actual
reference is in the McFarland text, volume 2 for you Wright Brothers
wonks.) Watch for the gentleman wearing the grey suit and straw
"boater". That's Orville. Also note when he turns that he's using a
cane and leaning on it rather heavily. This film was made only a few
months after the Ft. Myers crash.

As far as I know, there aren't any flying 1909 or Model A machines.
The 1909 was an enlarged copy of the 1905, which is currently housed
at Carollion Park in Dayton. Its about 60% original, making it the
most original Wright machine in existance. There are flying
reproductions of most other Wright models including:

1878 "bat" toy helicopter - mine
1899 kite - mine, Engler, Hyde, Smith, Young, Young, Crouch, and a few
others
1900 glider - Hyde/Young, Engler
1901 glider - Hyde/Young, Engler
1902 glider - mine, Engler (2 or more), Hyde/Young, Quigley
1903 flying machine - Kellet, Hyde/Wright Brothers Experience, Young/
VA museum of Aviation, Wright Redux, Engler
1905 flying machine - Engler & one other, can't remember who built it
but its on YouTube
Model B - Smith, Hyde, Wright B Flyer
Model EX - Smith

There may be others. Its getting had to keep track anymore.

Harry Frey
Wright Brothers Enterprises

The National Soaring Museum has replicas of the Wright glider No. 3
(1902) and No. 5 (1911).
Old April 7th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

The National Soaring Museum has replicas of the Wright glider No. 3
(1902) and No. 5 (1911).- Hide quoted text -

I was only counting the ships that have flown. There are nearly a
dozen 1902 gliders in existance at this time and another under
construction in CA. There are at least two dozen 1903's.

Do you know who built the 1902 in the soaring museum?

Harry

Old April 7th 09, 02:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.soaring

On Apr 6, 10:22*pm, wrote:
The National Soaring Museum has replicas of the Wright glider No. 3
(1902) and No. 5 (1911).- Hide quoted text -

I was only counting the ships that have flown. There are nearly a
dozen 1902 gliders in existance at this time and another under
construction in CA. There are at least two dozen 1903's.

Do you know who built the 1902 in the soaring museum?

Harry

Both of our Wright replicas were built here at the museum by
volunteers.

1909 film of Wright flyer in France Frank[_1_] Soaring 9 April 7th 09 02:14 PM
Wright Flyer Marine Airdale Naval Aviation 0 February 1st 09 10:35 PM
Wright Flyer Big John Piloting 13 October 26th 03 01:25 AM
Wright Flyer won't fly! Trent Moorehead Piloting 31 October 18th 03 04:37 PM
Wright Flyer Dave Hyde Home Built 9 September 29th 03 05:20 PM