Cloth tape aileron seals

Old December 15th 20, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

Default Cloth tape aileron seals

I just wanted to alert you to a problem we found with our K21.

We have used Tesa cloth tape for aileron and elevator seals for over 20 years with no problem.

Last winter I used cloth tape from Berry Plastics “Polyken”. The roll was from a trusted tried and true USA glider supply source, and fairly new
though I don’t recall exactly how old is was then. No more than 1 year though.

All was well all year, until a month ago when the ailerons progressively got much stiffer in the last half of travel either right or left. It got cold in Georgia.

After much sleuthing, consulting with trusted advisers well known to us, and head scratching, we got the key clue from Rex Mayes. We removed the tape seals and normalcy was instantly restored. The tape had shrunk.
The tape was really stuck! It was very stiff after removal.

In short, I would not recommend any cloth tape but Tesa for these seals.
I have notified the tape source of the findings.

Hope this may save someone else a lot of effort one day.

Hartley "KF" Falbaum
MGSA, Georgia USA
Old December 15th 20, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Sinclair[_5_]

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 1:37:53 PM UTC-8, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
[...]

That’s a fairly common problem, Hartley.
After locking the control in the fully deflected position, I start the tape and then lay a pencil in the groove so as to make the tape sink in a pit, then press down on both edges of the tape..............I remember the guy that taped all his controls in neutral, then called me complaining he couldn’t move any of the controls!
JJ
Old December 16th 20, 01:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 15, 2020 at 5:28:12 PM UTC-5, John Sinclair wrote:
[...]

Indeed yes JJ. These seals operated properly all year. We've been taping the controls for over 20 years with no problem. This tape is different. That is my point.
Old December 16th 20, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 15:23:30 UTC+2, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Indeed yes JJ. These seals operated properly all year. We've been taping the controls for over 20 years with no problem. This tape is different. That is my point.

I had to change my ASW 20 Tesa fabric tapes all the time because of the shrinking. Changed to teflon+mylar seals, problem solved.
Old December 16th 20, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 8:48:16 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
On Wednesday, 16 December 2020 at 15:23:30 UTC+2, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
Indeed yes JJ. These seals operated properly all year. We've been taping the controls for over 20 years with no problem. This tape is different. That is my point.

I had to change my ASW 20 Tesa fabric tapes all the time because of the shrinking. Changed to teflon+mylar seals, problem solved.

And that is exactly what we are going to do.
Thanks
Old December 19th 20, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jeffrey Banks[_2_]

Same for our Alaska K21. The tape just shrunk and got stiff. Thanks for Rex's guidance we now know how to use the teflon tape and mylar seals.

Jeff Banks

aileron seals on SZD-45 ProfJ Soaring 8 April 30th 19 12:41 PM
Discus Aileron Seals Peter F[_2_] Soaring 8 August 20th 13 05:07 PM
How important are aileron gap seals? soartech[_2_] Soaring 15 May 27th 13 09:39 AM
Installing aileron/flap seals Uncle Fuzzy[_2_] Soaring 5 April 17th 13 11:52 PM
Mylar aileron and flap seals Grider Pirate[_2_] Soaring 12 June 2nd 12 01:52 AM