Which Military Service is best?

Old September 8th 04, 11:52 PM
Krztalizer

Art, you never took over the stick during climbout? I used to pester my pilots
constantly about getting up front - it was a running joke with them.

Interesting about the Norden, flying the plane. In the after rescue station on
the SH-3, we had a "Coolie Hat" controller in order to fly the helo over a
downed airman. At some point in the H-3s history, someone realized that the
pilots couldn't actually see straight down to hover over a survivor - even with
constant calls from the drycrewman, the hover usually 'wandered' a bit, making
recoveries more complicated. The solution was to give a small amount of
control, something on the order of 5-10 knots in any direction, usually with
quite a bit less, about 1-2 knots which is basically a drift) to the crewman in
the back. Pilots entered a steady hover using full instruments and visual
procedures and when they were comfortablely settled, they turned control over
to the kid in the back, who could motor around a bit. We discovered that the
pilots could give us a lot MORE speed, but naturally it was not their choice.
"No, its just barely moving." "But I turned it up?" "I don't know why - we're
just barely drifting. It'll take us forever to get - " "Ok, ok - try it now"
"Roger that."

yee Haaw.

I suppose gazing down through the rubber eyepiece of the Norden at an
approaching bridge would be somewhat less fun, and with quite a bit more
pucker.

v/r
Gordon
Old September 9th 04, 01:26 AM
Dave Kearton

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
| Subject: Which Military Service is best?

| Conditions permitting I got a good many hours of stick time in the B-26,
C-47,
| C-46 and a Feisler Storch we had captured and used as a pufdl;e jumper
around
| Schleissheim. Lotta fun. But doing a final in the B-26 at 110 IAS at a
steep
| approach angle to the runway could curl your hair.
|
| I suppose gazing down through the rubber eyepiece of the Norden at an
| approaching bridge would be somewhat less fun, and with quite a bit more
| pucker.
|
| Especially when the view of the bridge is paritally obscured by big black
| bursts of flak with hot red centers. (sheesh)
|

| Arthur Kramer
| 344th BG 494th BS

Was the Storch still during wartime Art ?

If so, was there any trepidation in flying around a war zone in a German
aircraft, even after a new paintjob and new licence plates ?

One would imagine if it were possible to identify the aircraft, it would
still be light enough to see the Star and Bars and the pilot waving at the
Mustangs - or the ground gunners.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old September 9th 04, 02:52 AM
ArtKramr

Subject: Which Military Service is best?
From: "Dave Kearton"
Date: 9/8/2004 5:26 PM Pacific Standard Time
"ArtKramr" wrote in message
| Subject: Which Military Service is best?

| Conditions permitting I got a good many hours of stick time in the B-26,
C-47,
| C-46 and a Feisler Storch we had captured and used as a pufdl;e jumper
around
| Schleissheim. Lotta fun. But doing a final in the B-26 at 110 IAS at a
steep
| approach angle to the runway could curl your hair.
|
| I suppose gazing down through the rubber eyepiece of the Norden at an
| approaching bridge would be somewhat less fun, and with quite a bit more
| pucker.
|
| Especially when the view of the bridge is paritally obscured by big black
| bursts of flak with hot red centers. (sheesh)
|

| Arthur Kramer
| 344th BG 494th BS

Was the Storch still during wartime Art ?

If so, was there any trepidation in flying around a war zone in a German
aircraft, even after a new paintjob and new licence plates ?

One would imagine if it were possible to identify the aircraft, it would
still be light enough to see the Star and Bars and the pilot waving at the
Mustangs - or the ground gunners.

Cheers

Dave Kearton

The war had ended and we (the 344th) was assigned to Occupation duty. We moved
into an ex Luftwaffe airbase at Schleissheim (bei Munchen) Germany and that was
where uncovered the remains of the Storch.amid a load of wrecked JU -88's. We
fixed it up and flew it as a puddle jumper mostly to the supply dump at Erding
for small parts. But it was fun to fly.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old September 9th 04, 09:47 AM
Ragnar

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
What did you fly?

And what did YOU fly, Art? Bombadiers don't get stick time.

Yes they do via the Norden bombsight during those final moments when it

really
counts..

So you didn't actually FLY the plane. Wannabe.

You realy know zero on this subject wannabee.

Old September 9th 04, 09:48 AM
Ragnar

"ArtKramr" wrote in message
What did you fly?

And what did YOU fly, Art? Bombadiers don't get stick time.

Yes they do via the Norden bombsight during those final moments when it

really
counts..

So you didn't actually FLY the plane. Wannabe.

You realy know zero on this subject wannabee.

Hey, I never claimed to FLY the plane. How much stick time did you have as
pilot or copilot again?

I thought Art plonked me ages ago. Another instance of his hypocrisy.

Old September 9th 04, 03:18 PM
OXMORON1

Art wrote:
Conditions permitting I got a good many hours of stick time in the B-26,
C-47,
C-46 and a Feisler Storch we had captured and used as a pufdl;e jumper around
Schleissheim

Which model Storch? The one with the gun position in the rear? Or the
Ambulance/VIP versions?
Did they (we) repaint the whole airplane or just paint out the German markings
and apply U.S. markings?

Rick Clark

22 Aug 2004 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 24th 04 06:46 AM
16 Aug 2004 - Today’s Military, Veteran, War and National Security News Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 17th 04 12:37 AM
Showstoppers (long, but interesting questions raised) Anonymous Spamless Military Aviation 0 April 21st 04 05:09 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Updated List of Military Information-Exchange Forums Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 December 29th 03 02:20 AM