New Soaring Software for iPhones - Lufty

Old April 23rd 21, 02:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default New Soaring Software for iPhones - Lufty

This new app for iOS looks interesting and is supposed to be available this month. It will be interesting to see how it compares to iGlide.

https://lufty.app/
Old April 23rd 21, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 4/23/2021 9:12 AM, wrote:
This new app for iOS looks interesting and is supposed to be available this month. It will be interesting to see how it compares to iGlide.

https://lufty.app/

That page says, among other things:

"Full-feature Gliding navigation powered by Mapbox
Airspace warnings, airports, waypoints, simply anything you might need
on your route via blue skies."

- the meaning of that is unclear, but I suspect that means it will get
map data "on the fly" from their server? Or will it download such data
at home before flying?

I wouldn't count on a cellphone data connection working continuously
while flying. My experience with live tracking using the IGCdroid app
is that the cellphone data connection is in spurts, often disconnecting
for 15-30 minutes before finding a signal again. That's in the Vermont
and New Hampshire area, it probably differs in other areas - for better
or worse.
Old April 23rd 21, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark Mocho

I wouldn't count on a cellphone data connection working continuously
while flying.

Cell phone data connection in New Mexico while at 17,500' in the mountains.....

Haha! Unlikely.

Heck, it isn't all that reliable on the ground!

Old April 23rd 21, 05:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

That sounds like a Chinese attempt at Engrish (English). These things
can be fun but I certainly wouldn't put any stock in them.

Dan
5J

Old April 23rd 21, 06:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 12:46:15 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
That sounds like a Chinese attempt at Engrish (English). These things
can be fun but I certainly wouldn't put any stock in them.

Dan
5J
On 4/23/21 7:30 AM, Moshe Braner wrote:

Airspace warnings, airports, waypoints, simply anything you might need
on your route via blue skies.

Always with the negative waves ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AEj3LA2vSo
Old April 23rd 21, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/23/2021 7:16 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:
I wouldn't count on a cellphone data connection working continuously
while flying.

Cell phone data connection in New Mexico while at 17,500' in the mountains.....

Haha! Unlikely.

Heck, it isn't all that reliable on the ground!

I did not see any details about the implementation. Where does it say a
cell connection is required in flight? I currently use iGlide, so this
is potentially a good option.

--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

Old April 23rd 21, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

On 4/23/2021 7:16 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:
I wouldn't count on a cellphone data connection working continuously
while flying.

Cell phone data connection in New Mexico while at 17,500' in the mountains.....

Haha! Unlikely.

Heck, it isn't all that reliable on the ground!

Wow, it looks like excellent English to me! But, I'd expect that for a
product from the Czech Republic, because the Czechs I've met speak
English very well.

Old April 23rd 21, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 4:53:25 PM UTC-4, Eric Greenwell wrote:
On 4/23/2021 7:16 AM, Mark Mocho wrote:
I wouldn't count on a cellphone data connection working continuously
while flying.

Cell phone data connection in New Mexico while at 17,500' in the mountains.....

Haha! Unlikely.

Heck, it isn't all that reliable on the ground!

Wow, it looks like excellent English to me! But, I'd expect that for a
product from the Czech Republic, because the Czechs I've met speak
English very well.
--
Eric Greenwell - USA
- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation"

FYI - The original announcement said they would release the app in April. I registered on the website for updates and they said it would be out in 10 days.
Old April 24th 21, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

On Friday, 23 April 2021 at 14:12:37 UTC+1, wrote:
This new app for iOS looks interesting and is supposed to be available this month. It will be interesting to see how it compares to iGlide.

https://lufty.app/

Looks nice. Do they think they can make a better programme than iGlide or Winpilot, or will they make it cheaper?

Do you iPhone users know that Naviter the SeeYou folk are also creating flight computer software for iOs?

https://naviter.com/seeyou-navigator/

Currently, this is not a full-featured glide computer product, but I suspect that it will become so before long - perhaps when they have cleared stocks of the Oudie!

Android users are currently driven to XC Soar or Top Hat by the tempting price - zero. The programs are good so why would anyone want to pay for an alternative?

I have an Oudie IGC, which although old tech still has overwhelming advantages over phone based versions - IGC logger status, and an internal battery which runs all day. I also very much like the SeeYou software.
Old April 24th 21, 02:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, April 23, 2021 at 8:24:46 PM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
[...]

.... and some of us don’t have an Oudie IGC but have an iPhone in our pocket! Reminds me of people driving around in Jeeps with a wheel cover that says, “it’s a Jeep thing ... you wouldn’t understand!”