A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

What is your headset experience and solution?

Old May 12th 21, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Galloway[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default What is your headset experience and solution?

On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 03:03:31 UTC+1, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 12:21:33 PM UTC-4, John Johnson wrote:
I'm having a lot of trouble hearing that 50% portion of radio calls that have marginal modulation, wind noise, mumbling speakers, etc. The other 50% come through load and clear. Tired of needing to close my side vent, crank the volume, and ask for a repeat. I doubt a campaign to get everyone's xmit's up to 5 x 5 would go anywhere. Besides, they seem to be heard acceptably and communicate effectively with other pilots - so, it must be my old ears.
My speaker is ~15in behind my head and unobstructed so I don't think that is the issue. I'm thinking a headset would fix things for me and I'd really like to hear advice from those using them. I’m certain I can’t deal with heavy/sweaty over-the-ear earcups with head vise clamping . Flying out of Tucson so comfort in the heat is important. So, maybe the Telex Airman 750 or Clarity Aloft types? Others?
Since I’d like to maintain the existing speaker box and boom mic for backup, I’m thinking about a DPDT steering switch before my FSG 2T (the radio has 2 mic inputs to deal with the dynamic vs amplified difference). Other considerations?
I was also thinking really cheap and simple: generic music ear buds while continuing to use the existing boom mic.

Thanks, JJ (H8)

This is what I use, http://www.quiettechnologies.com/ind...ormation_id=12
I use a headset because I self launch, but I never take it off. During silent flight I just remove one earbud to hear everything else. The sound is very, very good. I have been using mine for I think 7 years now without any issues.

I do the same as Andrzej but with a Clarity Aloft headset.
Old May 12th 21, 07:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Airport Bum
external usenet poster

I fly an ASH-26E self launcher, and use a Clarity Aloft., I love it! Much better capability to interpret radio calls now, comfort is fine, adequate noise suppression for the lawn mower engine. I do have the speaker and the boom mic remaining active, for backup and for pre-launch/post-flight comm. I will never go back to my pre-headset days....

Cheers,
Jim J6

On Wednesday, May 12, 2021 at 1:30:32 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Wednesday, 12 May 2021 at 03:03:31 UTC+1, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 12:21:33 PM UTC-4, John Johnson wrote:
I'm having a lot of trouble hearing that 50% portion of radio calls that have marginal modulation, wind noise, mumbling speakers, etc. The other 50% come through load and clear. Tired of needing to close my side vent, crank the volume, and ask for a repeat. I doubt a campaign to get everyone's xmit's up to 5 x 5 would go anywhere. Besides, they seem to be heard acceptably and communicate effectively with other pilots - so, it must be my old ears.
My speaker is ~15in behind my head and unobstructed so I don't think that is the issue. I'm thinking a headset would fix things for me and I'd really like to hear advice from those using them. I’m certain I can’t deal with heavy/sweaty over-the-ear earcups with head vise clamping . Flying out of Tucson so comfort in the heat is important. So, maybe the Telex Airman 750 or Clarity Aloft types? Others?
Since I’d like to maintain the existing speaker box and boom mic for backup, I’m thinking about a DPDT steering switch before my FSG 2T (the radio has 2 mic inputs to deal with the dynamic vs amplified difference). Other considerations?
I was also thinking really cheap and simple: generic music ear buds while continuing to use the existing boom mic.

Thanks, JJ (H8)

I use a headset because I self launch, but I never take it off. During silent flight I just remove one earbud to hear everything else. The sound is very, very good. I have been using mine for I think 7 years now without any issues.

I do the same as Andrzej but with a Clarity Aloft headset.

Old May 12th 21, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson
external usenet poster

Thanks Andrzej - this looks very interesting and quite a bit cheaper than the Clarity that I'm also interested in.
JJ

Old May 12th 21, 04:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson
external usenet poster

Once, at work, I accidently dunked my headset tube mic into my coffee while taking a sip. It took awhile to figure out I was essentially on mute for that phone call :-)

Just dont sneeze while taking a drink in this config : )

Old May 12th 21, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Johnson
external usenet poster

So, I'm pretty sure now that I want to end up with a headset solution like the Clarity or Halo. But, of course, the season just kicked off so I'll probably try to get the earbud solution going quick and dirty for now. Headset is likely an off-season project.

Thanks a bunch everyone - this has really helped.

JJ

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 11:17:42 PM UTC-7, Airport Bum wrote:
I fly an ASH-26E self launcher, and use a Clarity Aloft., I love it! Much better capability to interpret radio calls now, comfort is fine, adequate noise suppression for the lawn mower engine. I do have the speaker and the boom mic remaining active, for backup and for pre-launch/post-flight comm. I will never go back to my pre-headset days....

Old May 12th 21, 06:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stuart Venters
external usenet poster

On 5/11/21 11:21 AM, John Johnson wrote:

Thanks, JJ (H8)

Used to have same problem. If folks would be more careful with the
location of the mike when talking this might be less if an issue for old
ears.

I put standard headset jacks on the panel and a switch to select the
boom or headset mike. Didn't bother with a switch for the speaker. I
just leave both the speaker and headset always on.

Used to use cheap computer headsets, but found a surplus Airman 750 and
haven't gone back.

I generally wear it over the vent side ear and leave to other side off
to hear the glider and vario. This fixes both the old ears and makes
sure the mike is in a good location.

The jacks were originally put in to support the mike in the O2 mask for
wave. That was useful, but the general, open air headset use turned out
to be their main use.