PowerFlarm Firmware

Old March 14th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karl Kunz[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm Firmware

Anyone know when the required annual firmware update for the PowerFlarm comes out? Getting all my devices updated and realized they haven't issued theirs yet.
Old March 14th 17, 04:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I uploaded mine a few days ago. It's available on the PF website. And
don't forget to get the latest flarmnet database.

--
Dan, 5J

Old March 14th 17, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 14 mars 2017 16:18:25 UTC+1, Karl Kunz a écritÂ*:
Anyone know when the required annual firmware update for the PowerFlarm comes out? Getting all my devices updated and realized they haven't issued theirs yet.

It is not required that you update with a specific firmware.
It is required that you update once within 365 days to the firmware which happens to be latest version at this point of time.
I updated mine in December with 6.07, and I will update it again in December with whichever version is the then current one.

TW
Old March 14th 17, 04:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My understanding is that the "required update" happens on your annual activation date. The software is continuously updated but you are only required to do an update on your anniversary date. If you do not update on that date your unit fails to operate.

Can someone confirm this is true?
Old March 14th 17, 04:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mardi 14 mars 2017 16:45:40 UTC+1, a écritÂ*:
My understanding is that the "required update" happens on your annual activation date. The software is continuously updated but you are only required to do an update on your anniversary date. If you do not update on that date your unit fails to operate.

Can someone confirm this is true?

As I said, it needs to be updated at latest 365 days after the last update. Past this delay, it won't work properly anymore.

It is correct that the firmware is developed continously (since 6.07 in December, we are at 6.09 right now), but downward compatibility is ensured fro at least one year.
So, if you upgrate within a period of 365 days, you don't have to worry about the numvber of the version.

TW
Old March 14th 17, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thank you.
That explanation was clear and concise.
Old March 14th 17, 11:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Renny[_2_]

On Tuesday, March 14, 2017 at 9:59:15 AM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le mardi 14 mars 2017 16:45:40 UTC+1, a écritÂ*:
My understanding is that the "required update" happens on your annual activation date. The software is continuously updated but you are only required to do an update on your anniversary date. If you do not update on that date your unit fails to operate.

Can someone confirm this is true?

As I said, it needs to be updated at latest 365 days after the last update. Past this delay, it won't work properly anymore.

It is correct that the firmware is developed continously (since 6.07 in December, we are at 6.09 right now), but downward compatibility is ensured fro at least one year.
So, if you upgrate within a period of 365 days, you don't have to worry about the numvber of the version.

TW

To comfirm....I just went to the FLARM website and right now, for PowerFlarms, version 6.08 is the latest....For classic Flarms (not used in the US) there is a 6.09 version...
Thanks - Renny

"PowerFLARM

Download Firmware version 6.08 for all PowerFLARM devices
Release Notes
Classic FLARM & OEM FLARM devices

Download Firmware version 6.09 for all Classic FLARM devices with SD-card slot, including some OEM devices (TRX, LXNAV, LX Navigation, etc.)"

Old March 15th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Le mercredi 15 mars 2017 15:35:45 UTC+1, Karl Kunz a écritÂ*:
Thanks TW, I seem to remember they used to come out with the FW update early in the year and your PF would become inop at the end of March if not installed. I noticed on the latest release notes it is as you stated.

TW

The "Early Year Updates" have been abolished last year.

TW