How much does a CFI make?

Old August 13th 03, 05:54 PM
Mark

ost (Ditch) wrote in message ...
I've noticed that no one is quoting an "Annual" amount. Sure they charge
$25-$40 per hour but what does their Form 1040 say?

When I was doing full time CFI-ing, I think the best year I had was about 14K.
My best year working as a pilot was significantly better than that, but not
enough. So, as of May of this year I gave up flying and now am partner in a
small business. The money is tight, but the company is growing and by this time
next year I'll be in a good spot and be able to fly for fun on my terms.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*

I used to fly for a living but got tired of being on call 24 hours a
day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Plus, I only made about $22K a
year. Flying was a job instead of a love. So, I went in programming
and now make around ~60K and I get to fly whenever I want on MY terms.
I don't fly as much, but when I do go out, it's like my first flight
all over again (as well as my skills).

With that said, If I could make even $40K a year flying, I would go
back into it in a second. However my life goal is to make more a year
than my age (38 = $38,000).

Most instructors I know have rich parents, or living dirt poor. Most
are young (under 25) and have been to one of the aviation schools. In
this part of the country, you don't see many 30+ year old full time
instructors. They have either moved up to full tie pilots or gone into
another career field.

I believe the spirit of the barn stormers is alive in todays
instructors. Instead of sleeping under the wing, they sleep in their
cars.
Old August 13th 03, 06:56 PM
Peter Duniho

"TripFarmer" wrote in message
If I own a corporate plane I want the most qualified person flying for me

I can
find.

Not everyone shares that approach.

One reason I don't ride on buses. Drivers are usually a $7 per hour
person. I won't trust my life to that person.

Probably not a bad idea. You're right, they aren't the best drivers in the
world (and my opinion of them is even lower since I got rear-ended by a
full-size bus a few months ago). But again, not everyone shares that
approach.

None of that has anything to do with a pilot flying for no pay, other than
perhaps the fact that YOU wouldn't allow a pilot to fly for no pay (and
honestly, just because the pilot is willing to fly for no pay, that doesn't
mean they're unqualified).

Pete

Old August 13th 03, 07:24 PM
Larry Fransson

In article ,
"Peter Duniho" wrote:

None of that has anything to do with a pilot flying for no pay, other than
perhaps the fact that YOU wouldn't allow a pilot to fly for no pay (and
honestly, just because the pilot is willing to fly for no pay, that doesn't
mean they're unqualified).

My question about this situation would be whether or not the pilot in
question has actually been trained and certified to act as a required
crewmember under part 135. If they're not going to pay the pilot, are
they going to take the time and go to the expense and trouble of
training that pilot? Part 135 training is not trivial, although someone
could certainly make it so. The company's FAA-approved training manual
outlines the number of hours of ground training required, as well as the
flight training requirements. After that, there is a checkride with
either a company check airman or FAA inspector. Then there is annual
recurrent training and a checkride (for SICs - PICs get semi-annual
checkrides). This all costs something. If the company needs the pilot,
they ought to be paying the pilot. If they're skimping on their pilots
and taking whoever will work for free, what else are they skimping on?

I would guess that what's really going on is that the pilot is "riding
along for experience" and flying any empty legs that can be flown under
part 91.

--
Larry Fransson
Aviation software for Mac OS X!
Old August 13th 03, 08:08 PM
Newps

"Ditch" wrote in message

Argh. This always gets me. It's one thing to pay for training. It's
another thing entirely to work for free. To do that is to completely
devalue your skills.

That, and it puts a working pilot out of a job. She should be shot.

Work for nothing? That's nothing. You can buy the right seat on Alpine
Air's Beech 99's.

Old August 13th 03, 11:12 PM
Tom S.

"Mark" wrote in message
om...
"Tom S." wrote in message

"Larry Fransson" wrote in message

I'd also like to know where Kit Darby (Air, Inc. - aka

www.jet-jobs.com)
is getting his information.

Probably the same place that Monster.com gets theirs. :~)

(According to a WSJ report about 18 months ago, only about 1.1% of jobs

are
filled through Monster.com; other are far less. Many jobs are recycled
weekly for over a year and resumes end up in the hands of spammers).

He's putting ads out there saying that
hundreds of airlines are looking to hire 7000+ pilots in 2003. I'm

not
sure I see that, but whatever.

Sounds like Darby is a "Legend In His Own Mind".

Tom

Sorry to get off topic, but this is VERY true about Monster.

Since the sub-tpoic was "web sites for piloting jobs", I'd say that
corelations to job sites in general is right on topic....but that's just me.

I know
for a fact that many employers use Monster to advertise a job when
they know they will never fill that positon. The reason (again this
is first hand info) is they have someone on the inside of the company
applying for the position but to satisify some legal rule they must
offer it to "outsiders" first.

And many are "window shopping" to see how much they can get away with.

A more comon reason the company i work for uses Monster is to get a
green card for non-american. In order for them to get a green card
and work in the US, they have to prove that they are not taking a job
away from a qualified american worker. So they advertise the job on
Monster with an add reading somthing like, "...needing 10 years
programming experience in c, c++, Basic, Fortran, Cobal, Pascal with 5
years project management experience while working with some no named
programming language...". Basicially, whenever you read a job add that
makes you say "Who would EVER have that combination of experience",
it's a job they are trying to justify to give to someone they already
have hired.

Or want to hire.

Same thing with pilots.

Again, sorry to get off topic.. Oh and yes, Monster is a place to get
good e-mail addresses for SPAM!

Old August 14th 03, 12:45 AM
Peter Duniho

"Larry Fransson" wrote in message
[...] If the company needs the pilot,
they ought to be paying the pilot. If they're skimping on their pilots
and taking whoever will work for free, what else are they skimping on?

All fair questions. I'm just questioning the automatic hostility that this
pilot has received in absentia.

I would guess that what's really going on is that the pilot is "riding
along for experience" and flying any empty legs that can be flown under
part 91.

Could very well be. Even more reason for folks to not judge her so harshly.

Pete

Old August 16th 03, 03:34 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Mark wrote:

Sorry to get off topic, but this is VERY true about Monster.

Can you recommend a better job-finder?

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.
Old August 17th 03, 02:48 AM
Tom S.

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Mark wrote:

Sorry to get off topic, but this is VERY true about Monster.

Can you recommend a better job-finder?

Any board whose list is only 95% bogus, instead of 98%.