Differences in O-540 models

Old August 3rd 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Charles Talleyrand

Default Differences in O-540 models

I read that the O-540-A1A5 weighs 396 pounds, but that a IO-540-A1A5
weighs 437 pounds. Can the difference between a carb and fuel
injection really be 39 pounds?

Also, as I wrote an IO-540-A1A5 weighs 437 pounds. But an IO-540-c4b5
weighs 402 pounds, but produces 50 horsepower less. What did they
change about the engine that costs 50 horsepower but saves 35 pounds?

-Very Curious
-Charles Talleyrand
Old August 3rd 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

I read that the O-540-A1A5 weighs 396 pounds, but that a IO-540-A1A5
weighs 437 pounds. Can the difference between a carb and fuel
injection really be 39 pounds?

Or 41 pounds?

Old August 3rd 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message
I read that the O-540-A1A5 weighs 396 pounds, but that a IO-540-A1A5
weighs 437 pounds. Can the difference between a carb and fuel
injection really be 39 pounds?

Also, as I wrote an IO-540-A1A5 weighs 437 pounds. But an IO-540-c4b5
weighs 402 pounds, but produces 50 horsepower less. What did they
change about the engine that costs 50 horsepower but saves 35 pounds?

I'm not familiar with the exact models in question, but some installations
require things like starter adapters, which add weight. Some engines are
also derated based on the application. The IO-540-AB1A5 used in the new
182s is a 230 BHP engine because it's limited to 2400 RPM. Other 540s put
out as much as 315 BHP.

Old August 4th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Charles Talleyrand

On Aug 3, 6:34 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message

I read that the O-540-A1A5 weighs 396 pounds, but that a IO-540-A1A5
weighs 437 pounds. Can the difference between a carb and fuel
injection really be 39 pounds?

Also, as I wrote an IO-540-A1A5 weighs 437 pounds. But an IO-540-c4b5
weighs 402 pounds, but produces 50 horsepower less. What did they
change about the engine that costs 50 horsepower but saves 35 pounds?

I'm not familiar with the exact models in question, but some installations
require things like starter adapters, which add weight. Some engines are
also derated based on the application. The IO-540-AB1A5 used in the new
182s is a 230 BHP engine because it's limited to 2400 RPM. Other 540s put
out as much as 315 BHP.

I actually knew all that. But why would the engine weigh more?
Lowering the RPM does not add weight.
Old August 4th 08, 02:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

On Aug 3, 6:34 pm, "Mike" wrote:
[...]

As I said, some applications require extra parts like a starter adapter.
That alone weighs 40 lbs or so if I were to guess. I'm not sure if Lycoming
engines need a starter adapter, but it could be some other accessory or
necessary part needed or desired in one application but not another.

Old August 4th 08, 04:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Mike wrote:

As I said, some applications require extra parts like a starter adapter.
That alone weighs 40 lbs or so if I were to guess.

On Continentals they weigh maybe 10 pounds.

Old August 4th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
Mike wrote:

As I said, some applications require extra parts like a starter adapter.
That alone weighs 40 lbs or so if I were to guess.

On Continentals they weigh maybe 10 pounds.

I couldn't remember as that was years ago when I had one replaced. It
seemed like a big hunk of metal at the time.

Old August 4th 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Mike wrote:
"Newps" wrote in message
. ..
Mike wrote:

As I said, some applications require extra parts like a starter
adapter. That alone weighs 40 lbs or so if I were to guess.

On Continentals they weigh maybe 10 pounds.

I couldn't remember as that was years ago when I had one replaced. It
seemed like a big hunk of metal at the time.

I'm not aware of any big bore Continentals that use starter adapters on
some planes and none on others for the same engine. As for weight
sometimes newer engines within a family weigh less because of various
engineering changes. For example many Bonanza's use the 470, just like
early 210's. At overhaul time it's usually a bad idea to put another
470 into a Bo because both the 520 and 550 weigh less, 30-50 pounds
depending on model. The 550 weighs the least and puts out the most
horses and just simply runs the best.

Differences in O-540 models Charles Talleyrand Piloting 4 August 4th 08 02:04 AM
DG Differences... noel.wade Soaring 39 April 22nd 08 06:42 AM
Rep vs. Dem Differences Jim Weir Piloting 212 September 8th 04 04:02 PM
ASW 20, ASW 20B, ASW 20C DIFFERENCES Ventus B Soaring 8 July 18th 04 10:28 AM
Differences in models of Foster500 loran Ray Andraka Owning 1 September 3rd 03 10:47 PM