Ethanol Free Car Gas

Old July 26th 08, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Ethanol Free Car Gas

I wanted to start a thread based on my recent experience with car gas.
I'm not out in Ada, OK, and got worried when I saw that the local Wal-
Mart gas station sells ethanol gas. This is no good for Anna, so I did
some research with my coworkers and found 2 gas stations in Ada that
sell ethanol free car gas.

The Philips 66 on Main and Latta Road, out by the Richardson Loop. The
"Chickasaw" gas station. And also one of the 2 gas stations on
Broadway between Richardson Loop and Main. Don't know which one
though.

Anybody know of any places near Raleigh, NC with ethanol free gas?
Also post your own findings for those of us still flying true cross
countries.
Old July 26th 08, 05:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

wrote in message
I wanted to start a thread based on my recent experience with car gas.
I'm not out in Ada, OK, and got worried when I saw that the local Wal-
Mart gas station sells ethanol gas. This is no good for Anna, so I did
some research with my coworkers and found 2 gas stations in Ada that
sell ethanol free car gas.

The Philips 66 on Main and Latta Road, out by the Richardson Loop. The
"Chickasaw" gas station. And also one of the 2 gas stations on
Broadway between Richardson Loop and Main. Don't know which one
though.

Anybody know of any places near Raleigh, NC with ethanol free gas?
Also post your own findings for those of us still flying true cross
countries.

I really don't understand your logic here. What good is it going to do you
on a "true cross country" if Joe's gas station sells ethanol free gas? I
don't think Joe is going to deliver and the FBO will probably frown on
gas at the ethanol free terminal this week, doesn't mean he won't buy his
gas from a 10% ethanol terminal next week. It's best to buy or make your
own test kit and test a sample before you buy.

Just check Airnav for mogas in the area in which you're concerned. W90
seems to be the closest airport that has it.

Old July 26th 08, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Frank Stutzman[_2_]

Mike wrote:

I really don't understand your logic here. What good is it going to do you
on a "true cross country" if Joe's gas station sells ethanol free gas? I
don't think Joe is going to deliver and the FBO will probably frown on

I frequent two airports on a regular basis. At one I've got a hangar and
at the other I keep a beat up airport car with 4 gas cans in the trunk.

Also, just because Joe bought his
gas at the ethanol free terminal this week, doesn't mean he won't buy his
gas from a 10% ethanol terminal next week. It's best to buy or make your
own test kit and test a sample before you buy.

Yup, just the added hassle of auto fuel. Still worth it to me. I've been
using it since 80 octane disappeared. The price is certainly more
attractive, but my engine just runs better on it.

Just check Airnav for mogas in the area in which you're concerned. W90
seems to be the closest airport that has it.

Of the two airports I mentioned above, one has no reported mogas within 100
miles and the other one has it at an airport 90 miles beyond it. I've
been known to go out of my way for cheap gas, but that seems excessive.

--
Frank Stutzman
Bonanza N494B "Hula Girl"

Old July 26th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Frank Stutzman" wrote in message
Mike wrote:

[...]

If you get enough people together, you might be able to set up your own tank
and have it delivered. I know people who have done that. The problems you
run into is auto fuel doesn't keep long and fuel tank laws vary from state
to state. Delivery charges can eat up your savings also unless you have a
lot delivered, which is why you generally need several people to go in
together to make it work.

Old July 30th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 25, 9:34*pm, "Mike" wrote:

I believe the EAA sells a sampling cup that detects any alcohols in
fuel. I assume you could use that to verify the claim of any
particular station.

-Robert
Old July 30th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Jul 25, 9:34 pm, "Mike" wrote:

I believe the EAA sells a sampling cup that detects any alcohols in
fuel. I assume you could use that to verify the claim of any
particular station.

-Robert

Exactly, but all you need is one of those sporty's fuel testers and a cork.
Or you could use a rain gauge, a test tube, or just about any clear vessel
that can be corked (preferably with a lid or a rubber cork). Baby jars work
fine, although I prefer a tall narrow vessel. Just draw a line an inch off
the bottom or so with a permanent marker, fill with water to the line, add
twice as much fuel, cork it, shake the hell out of it, stand it upright and
wait 5 minutes. Any alcohol present will combine with the water and settle
to the bottom. If it exceeds the line you have alcohol in the fuel.

Old August 2nd 08, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Blueskies

On Jul 25, 9:34 pm, "Mike" wrote:

I believe the EAA sells a sampling cup that detects any alcohols in
fuel. I assume you could use that to verify the claim of any
particular station.

-Robert

Exactly, but all you need is one of those sporty's fuel testers and a cork.
Or you could use a rain gauge, a test tube, or just about any clear vessel
that can be corked (preferably with a lid or a rubber cork). Baby jars work
fine, although I prefer a tall narrow vessel. Just draw a line an inch off
the bottom or so with a permanent marker, fill with water to the line, add
twice as much fuel, cork it, shake the hell out of it, stand it upright and
wait 5 minutes. Any alcohol present will combine with the water and settle
to the bottom. If it exceeds the line you have alcohol in the fuel.

And the 5 minutes is pretty long. It is amazing how fast it shows up, results for me are pretty much right now...
Old August 2nd 08, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

On Jul 25, 9:34 pm, "Mike" wrote:

[...]

You can tell pretty quickly if it does have alcohol, although I've heard you
really need to wait a few minutes if you want to figure out the percentage.
I'm not sure how much difference it makes. Any alcohol is too much as far
as I'm concerned.

Old August 18th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
stevericks

A little off topic here, but you just gave me a great original idea
(measuring ethanol content in gas) to encourage my child to adopt for a
science project.
Steve
wrote in message
I wanted to start a thread based on my recent experience with car gas.
I'm not out in Ada, OK, and got worried when I saw that the local Wal-
Mart gas station sells ethanol gas. This is no good for Anna, so I did
some research with my coworkers and found 2 gas stations in Ada that
sell ethanol free car gas.

The Philips 66 on Main and Latta Road, out by the Richardson Loop. The
"Chickasaw" gas station. And also one of the 2 gas stations on
Broadway between Richardson Loop and Main. Don't know which one
though.

Anybody know of any places near Raleigh, NC with ethanol free gas?
Also post your own findings for those of us still flying true cross
countries.

Ethanol free gas locations [email protected] Owning 2 June 28th 08 04:02 PM
Ethanol free gas locations [email protected][_2_] Owning 0 June 27th 08 04:46 AM
Ethanol Dave Owning 9 May 23rd 08 09:24 PM
FREE TRIAL - Rent Adult DVDs Online, Delivered Free by Mail. [email protected] Piloting 0 March 1st 08 06:26 PM
F18 Hornet Pics -Royalty Free Images and free image hosting - members wanted please Jpgs.com.au Home Built 0 January 7th 07 02:28 AM