Sport Pilot license

Old June 21st 05, 08:12 PM
keepitrunning

Default Sport Pilot license

Has anyone come up with an estimated cost of a sport pilot license versus a
regular pilot's license. Then would it be reasonable to add the
requirements for a pilot's license later?

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Gary

Old June 21st 05, 08:40 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"keepitrunning" wrote in message
Has anyone come up with an estimated cost of a sport pilot license versus
a regular pilot's license. Then would it be reasonable to add the
requirements for a pilot's license later?

Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Gary

As far as flight time you have 1/2 the required hours so you should have 1/2
the cost. Also, subtract the cost of the AME physical.

There is no reason not to get the SP on the way to a PP. But unless you have
a LSA sitting around you want to fly there is no real reason to either.

Old June 21st 05, 10:15 PM
W P Dixon

The one great thing about getting the sport pilot first is you would be able
to fly , carry a passenger in a light sport plane..and most important I
would think is practice for your PPL. I guess we don't know for sure yet
because no one has done it...but it makes good sense to say that by
obtaining a SPL, and flying, may actually speed up the process for getting
the PPL when you are ready for it. Extra practice sure can't hurt, and it's
alot cheaper to fly by yourself than having a CFI on board.
There's been many a PPL trained in Cubs and Champs, get your SPL in one
and get a head start!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 21st 05, 11:39 PM
Vaughn

"Gig 601XL Builder" wr.giacona@coxDOTnet wrote in message

As far as flight time you have 1/2 the required hours so you should have 1/2
the cost.

As Todd pointed out, this is unlikely, but will vary greatly with the
individual. IMO, flight training should not be rushed. The instructor is the
cheapest part of flying.

Also, subtract the cost of the AME physical.

But don't forget to add in the cost of an extra flight test.

Old June 22nd 05, 02:14 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
The one great thing about getting the sport pilot first is you would be
able to fly , carry a passenger in a light sport plane..and most important
I would think is practice for your PPL. I guess we don't know for sure yet
because no one has done it...but it makes good sense to say that by
obtaining a SPL, and flying, may actually speed up the process for getting
the PPL when you are ready for it. Extra practice sure can't hurt, and
it's alot cheaper to fly by yourself than having a CFI on board.
There's been many a PPL trained in Cubs and Champs, get your SPL in one
and get a head start!

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Again, as I mentioned in my post I have no problem with someone taking the
SP test during the PP process. but don't think for a second it is going to
save you any money.

Your thought that it will allow you to fly passengers while continueing to
train for a PP will, if done, increase the cost of the PP because the last
thing you need in the airplane while practicing for your PP is a none pilot
passenger. Flight time during the PP process should be used for practice for
the test and you shouldn't be doing those manuvers with a victim.... I mean
passenger.

GigG

Old June 22nd 05, 04:11 PM
W P Dixon

Gig,
Well I did not mean that everytime you fly you take a passenger with you,
I just meant that you "could" while you were working on the PPL. For those
without alot of money to sink into the PPL at one time, it could be a great
option...they could fly, and though maybe not practicing the PPL flight
manuvers "all the time" they would be gaining valuable experience in the
air.
As for the cost, well I didn't say the process would be cheaper,...just
the flying as a sport pilot versus just staying in a PPL training mode. Do
alittle PPL training here and there as your money allows. May even take
longer in the long run to get the PPL, but who knows you may have 100-150
hours with the training and flying as a sport pilot.
It does stand to reason the more experience in the air you have the better
you will do on the PPL, be it practicing for the PPL checkride or just
flying SP.
The whole thing is really hard to judge as to who could save what as far
as money...we all know that the minimums for training are not the standard
times. I sure do not expect a SPL to be done in the 20 hours! Well maybe if
they are flying those "flying weedeaters" I think it is more reasonable to
think in the 30 hour range. Then you have all the "region" factors. Like the
cost in the Northeast of renting a cub for 80 plus an hour, versus most
around here that rent for 40 ! Just really hard to say exactly "how much" it
will cost everyone, just to many variables.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 22nd 05, 04:55 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

The OP question was 100% about money. To paraphrase my answer I said half
the requirement should come to have the cost. I stand by that If it takes
longer to get the PP it will probably take longer to get the SP.

I also added that if a PP was what the OP wanted that there was no reason
NOT to take the check ride for an SP while continuing but if he didn't have
a LSA aircraft to fly there was no reason to either.

As to my response to your post I truly believe that, if PP is your target,
you'd be better off spending the flying time and money on finishing the PP
instead of burning another (as in your example) 60 to 90 hours flying your
friends around. Again, if you are going to get the PP you'll have plenty of
time to do that after you finish the PP and you will be a more experienced
pilot before you start flying your pals.

Now, let me tell you where I'm coming from here. I took two PP check rides.
First from the guy the FAA said could certify me as a pilot. It was a breeze
with 42 logged hours. I literally grew up at the airport and was able to
take-off, navigate and fly and airplane before the state thought I was old
enough to get a learners permit for a car.

The reason for this is I was incredibly lucky to have a Grandfather that
learned to fly before WWII, flew in the war, and, until the day he chose to
hand back his medical when he decided he wasn't capable anymore of safe
flight at age 64, flew as a professional pilot in every thing from Cubs to
Lears. (He was diagnosed with Alzheimer's later that same month).

I was well into elementary school before I figured out everybody didn't fly.
I mean all my neighborhood friends did they flew with my grandfather.

Enough of that, my second check ride was with him. He was well into
Alzheimer's by the time I got my certificate but he was having a good day
and I took him up the day after my check ride. He had me do a couple of
maneuvers and landings. After we got back to the airport he said, practice
this week and we'll do that again but don't fly with any non-pilots until
then. That week turned into a couple because of his health. In that time I
put another 20 hours of practice in. We flew and when we landed he said
that's good, fly like that from now on and you'll be OK.

The point of all this is to say just because the FAA says it don't make it
so. They have a minimum standard. If you go by that standard you will be
just as good a the WORST legal pilot out there. In life and especially
flying you might want to set your standard a little higher than the worst
you can get away with at least if you are going to put somebody else's ass
on the line.

I mentioned I had 42 logged hours when I passed my PP exam. In reality I
probably had 2 or 3 hundred sitting in the right seat with not just my
Grandfather but other very experienced pilots. NOBODY knows how to fly with
less than a couple of hundred hours and maybe not even then. (I know that's
gonna stir some crap up.)

I would hope that those that get the SP are made up of a pilots that for
some nit-picky reason can't get a medical anymore and pilots that will have
the brains to fly alone long after they got the rating alone and really
learn how to fly.

GigG

Old June 22nd 05, 05:50 PM
W P Dixon

Well I can say I would agree with that! But I did not say fly around with
your friends for 90 hours. I do agree to get the time in by your lonesome ,
but if every great once in awhile you want to take a friend , then by the
regs for SP you can. I think it's great you grew up around airplanes, I did
not get involved with them until I was 18. Finally now at 40 I am flying one
instead of just fixing them for the Marines, airlines and such ! I'm having
a blast with the old planes, flying and getting to tinker on them as well.
Myself I won't be able to get a PPL due to one of those nit picky
reasons you mention,... but I can promise you I will be a good pilot And
I know I will have to be very very comfie with my skills before I consider
taking anyone up with me. By the way how's the 601 coming along? Are you
going with the Rotax or some other powerplant?

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old June 22nd 05, 10:35 PM
Gig 601XL Builder

"W P Dixon" wrote in message
[...]

Great... glad to hear it.

The 601 has been on hold waithing for me to complete the hanger which in now
finished and just about moved into. Visit www.peoamerica.net/N601WR for
photos. Feel free to drop by I'm SURE I could find something for an
ex-Marine mech to do.

Old June 22nd 05, 10:37 PM

I just saw the FAA presentation at '04 OshKosh on DVD, and they stated
very clearly, several times, that you CANNOT get a SPL if you've failed
a medical, until you get a successful medical. If that is so, WTF is
the SPL for, anyway????

Drew

Please e-mail EAA and ask them to include gliders in Sport Pilot Mark James Boyd Soaring 6 December 1st 04 05:52 PM
Sport Pilot cuts off special issuance at the knees Juan~--~Jimenez Home Built 40 August 10th 04 01:19 PM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot (was SoCal CFIGs needed. M B Soaring 1 September 30th 03 04:21 AM