Long Island Crash - Kite String?

Old August 30th 04, 12:32 PM
Neb Okla

Default Long Island Crash - Kite String?

Witnesses reported seeing kite string wrapped around the heli.

http://news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=118790

Could that even cause a heli to crash? I'd think that a kite string would
be easily broken... and even if it did wrap around a control area, I'd
think that the helicopter would have sufficient power to overpower the
string.

--
Michael Badnarik, Libertarian for President
http://badnarik.org/?sid=32232

Old August 30th 04, 06:09 PM
Sla#s

"Neb Okla" wrote in message
Witnesses reported seeing kite string wrapped around the heli.

http://news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=118790

Could that even cause a heli to crash? I'd think that a kite string would
be easily broken... and even if it did wrap around a control area, I'd
think that the helicopter would have sufficient power to overpower the
string.

There was a photo in Rotorbreeze years ago of a Bell 47 that got a kite
string wound round the mast. The pilot said he only just managed to get the
machine back down on the ground as the controls almost completely locked up.

Slatts

Old August 30th 04, 06:32 PM
Shiver Me Timbers

Sla#s wrote:

There was a photo in Rotorbreeze years ago of a Bell 47 that got a kite
string wound round the mast. The pilot said he only just managed to get the
machine back down on the ground as the controls almost completely locked up.

How long is a piece of string.

I've been told to go fly a kite a few times but it's been a long long
time since I actually flew one.

BUT..... If you had a kite a few hundred feet in the air even with a
thin and light line it would have to have some tensile strength.

If it got caught up in a tail rotor how long would it take to wrap up
a couple of hundred feet of kite line.

Imagine the person on the ground having it pulled out of their hand and
then a few seconds later watching a helicopter coming down fast.

Imagine the two people in the helicopter spending the last few seconds
of their lives trying desperately to figure out what the hell's going
on.
Old August 30th 04, 08:13 PM
Jim Carriere

Shiver Me Timbers wrote:

Sla#s wrote:

There was a photo in Rotorbreeze years ago of a Bell 47 that got a kite
string wound round the mast. The pilot said he only just managed to get the
machine back down on the ground as the controls almost completely locked up.

How long is a piece of string.

I've been told to go fly a kite a few times but it's been a long long
time since I actually flew one.

BUT..... If you had a kite a few hundred feet in the air even with a
thin and light line it would have to have some tensile strength.

That and it quickly gets wrapped around several times, effectively
multiplying it's strength.

I wonder if they gave he kite back to the owner (I don't think I would)?

Old August 31st 04, 02:35 AM
SelwayKid

"Neb Okla" wrote in message ...
Witnesses reported seeing kite string wrapped around the heli.

http://news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=118790

Could that even cause a heli to crash? I'd think that a kite string would
be easily broken... and even if it did wrap around a control area, I'd
think that the helicopter would have sufficient power to overpower the
string.

With the revolving parts in the mast and tail rotor, the string gets
wrapped very rapidly around the control links and its tensile strength
has little to do with it. Much like wrapping sewing thread around your
fingers to the point you can't move them.
It has happened more than once and caused crashes of helicopters.
Ol Shy & Bashful
Old September 3rd 04, 05:43 PM
anon

(SelwayKid) wrote in message . com...
"Neb Okla" wrote in message ...
Witnesses reported seeing kite string wrapped around the heli.

http://news12.com/LI/topstories/article?id=118790

Could that even cause a heli to crash? I'd think that a kite string would
be easily broken... and even if it did wrap around a control area, I'd
think that the helicopter would have sufficient power to overpower the
string.

With the revolving parts in the mast and tail rotor, the string gets
wrapped very rapidly around the control links and its tensile strength
has little to do with it. Much like wrapping sewing thread around your
fingers to the point you can't move them.
It has happened more than once and caused crashes of helicopters.
Ol Shy & Bashful

I would be curious if it was mechanical. The owner of the ship is the
only rotorcraft school on long island, and has a history of building
ships out of other broken ships. The quality of his helicopters are
questionable. The owner also has a history of installing wrong parts
on other helicopters that have caused loss of life. Check the NTSB,
seems like alot of accidents in 5 years from one FOB.

4/20/2002
10/24/2002
Islip, NY
Robinson R-22