Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup. (WAS: McCain in '08)

Old July 17th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

Default Proposal For A New Rec.Aviation Newsgroup.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 00:01:27 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in
::

automated FAQ services

I wasn't able to find any such services.

What would the UNIX cron command look like?

0 0 1 * * inews -h faq-file.txt

The faq-file.txt would contain the FAQ complete with Usenet message
headers.

inews man page:
http://www.int-evry.fr/s2ia/user/dou...n/inews.1.html
Old July 17th 06, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Jose[_1_]

That's the "we" I was referring to.

Yes. But the fact that we have read it doesn't in any way inform
other readers, so it's not very meaningful.

1: The "other readers" are not part of the "we", until they read it, at
which time they become part of the "we" and also become informed, at the
same time.

2: Actually, the fact that we have read it, if we act on it, =does=
inform other readers... people who see the POL prepend (if it happens
often enough) will make the connection even absent explicit direction.

So who will make the periodic FAQ postings?

Adopting the convention does not require FAQ postings. We just start
doing it.

Programmers who fail to learn the art of pedantry struggle with a
plethora of bugs. :-)

Nah. Only their customers do.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 17th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:54:53 GMT, Jose
wrote in ::

Adopting the convention does not require FAQ postings. We just start
doing it.

What an optimist.

Old July 17th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Jose[_1_]

Adopting the convention does not require FAQ postings. We just start
doing it.

What an optimist.

Well, actually since we started discussing this, there has been a
significant decrease in the number of political postings.

Sometimes Murphey does fall asleep.

Jose
--
The monkey turns the crank and thinks he's making the music.
Old July 17th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 16:43:00 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in
:

automated FAQ services

I wasn't able to find any such services.

There was an automated FAQ server at MIT. Latest reports say that
it seems to be broken:

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/

I believe it was supposed to feed into the Internet FAQ Archives:

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

What would the UNIX cron command look like?

0 0 1 * * inews -h faq-file.txt

The faq-file.txt would contain the FAQ complete with Usenet message
headers.

Looks good to me. I haven't set up anything like this myself.

inews man page:
http://www.int-evry.fr/s2ia/user/dou...n/inews.1.html

Marty
--
Member of the Big-8 Management Board (B8MB), such as it is.
The B8MB is a work in progress.
Old July 17th 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 19:19:58 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in
:

While I wasn't able to find a FAQ server at that URL, but I did find
these documents in rec.aviation.answers (rec.aviation.piloting doesn't
seem to exist on rtfm.mit.edu):

You found the FAQ server.

What you didn't find was a method of creating new FAQs or
updating old ones.

That's why people are saying it's broken.

Geoff Peck, who seems to have been a major player in
the rec.aviation.* hierarchy, seems to be MIA since
1999. That's the last time his web site was updated.

The last usenet post from seems to
have been in July of 2002.

Marty
Old July 17th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Dave Ratcliffe

In , Larry Dighera
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:01:51 -0400, "Martin X. Moleski, SJ"
wrote in
::

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:45:43 GMT, Larry Dighera wrote in
:

... Now how do you broadcast that convention? Do you amend the newsgroup
charter, or periodically post a notice, or ...?

Periodic notices,

How do you propose to assure that periodic notices are posted? That
sounds like a job for the UNIX 'at' command.

Nah. 'cron' is your friend. 'at' is just the human front end for it.

Old July 18th 06, 12:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:57:15 -0400, Dave Ratcliffe
wrote in
::

In , Larry Dighera
wrote:

How do you propose to assure that periodic notices are posted? That
sounds like a job for the UNIX 'at' command.

Nah. 'cron' is your friend. 'at' is just the human front end for it.

True, but the point is, who has a UNIX server with inews running on it
and is willing to provide the FAQ posting service? I'd even settle
for a mail-to-news gateway (in lieu of inews). I have cron access on
a UNIX server, but there's no inews on it.

Old July 18th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Tim Skirvin

Larry Dighera writes:

How do you propose to assure that periodic notices are posted? That
sounds like a job for the UNIX 'at' command.

http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/so...cripts/faqpost

That's what I use.

- Tim Skirvin )
Chair, Big-8 Management Board
--
http://www.big-8.org/ Big-8 Management Board
http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/ Skirv's Homepage FISH *
Old July 18th 06, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr,news.groups
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:05:38 -0500, (Tim
Skirvin) wrote in ::

Larry Dighera writes:

How do you propose to assure that periodic notices are posted? That
sounds like a job for the UNIX 'at' command.

http://www.killfile.org/~tskirvin/so...cripts/faqpost

That's what I use.

- Tim Skirvin )
Chair, Big-8 Management Board

Many thinks, Mr. Skirvin. I had overlooked the necessity to generate
a unique Expires: header for each instance of posting, and some other
items.

I notice that one of the main features of your script is the use of
PGP signature. Is this a requirement for FAQ document articles? There
is also mention of possible difficulties if some of the other message
header fields are omitted or incorrectly formatted. Is there
documentation describing the requirements for FAQ posting someplace?

McCain in '08 Skylune Piloting 177 July 24th 06 08:32 AM
Grand Canyon overflight proposal john smith Piloting 71 April 23rd 06 05:30 AM
Washington DC ADIZ Proposal Scott Soaring 1 November 4th 05 04:18 PM