Kapalua airport, Maui ?

Old June 5th 05, 02:25 AM
Kevin Bailey

Default Kapalua airport, Maui ?

Does anyone know anything about Kapalua Airport (JHM), on the
island of Maui ? Both the Hawaiian website and MS Flight
Simulator mention it but the AOPA claims it doesn't exist.
Does it have an FBO for planes for rent ?

Yes, I know I could go to Kahului, but that's an hour drive
and Kapalua will be right across the street from the hotel.

Thanks!
krb
Old June 5th 05, 04:07 AM
Seth Masia

Oh, it exists. I cycled past there last summer and rode up the hill to the
airport. Paved N-S runway, nice terminal building; no FBO apparently. I
wouldn't count on being able to rent there. See
http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/maui/jhm/

Also see http://www.mauiaviators.com/

It's a beautiful part of the island. A couple of miles north, at the
northern tip, is a wildlife refuge with spectacular snorkeling.

Seth
Comanche N8100R

k.net...

Old June 5th 05, 12:33 PM

On Sat, 4 Jun 2005 21:07:28 -0600, "Seth Masia"
wrote:

Oh, it exists. I cycled past there last summer and rode up the hill to the
airport. Paved N-S runway, nice terminal building; no FBO apparently. I
wouldn't count on being able to rent there. See
http://www.hawaii.gov/dot/airports/maui/jhm/

Also see http://www.mauiaviators.com/

It's a beautiful part of the island. A couple of miles north, at the
northern tip, is a wildlife refuge with spectacular snorkeling.

Seth
Comanche N8100R

"Kevin Bailey" wrote in message
nk.net...
Does anyone know anything about Kapalua Airport (JHM), on the
island of Maui ? Both the Hawaiian website and MS Flight
Simulator mention it but the AOPA claims it doesn't exist.
Does it have an FBO for planes for rent ?

Yes, I know I could go to Kahului, but that's an hour drive
and Kapalua will be right across the street from the hotel.

Thanks!
krb

As you say it's not in AOPA Directory (online or book). Seems strange
but I looked into it some years ago as I to was on vacation near the
airport. At that time I believe it was considered a private airport
and I did not find any FBO/Rental information.

I have the AFD for Dec 03/Feb 04 which gives the following:
JHM/PHJH
Rwy 02-20, 3000x100 Asph
CTAF/Unicom 122.7
Apt. Ops. 872-3875

Restricted to Part 121 & 135 FAR Ops. with PPR
No Heli or Jet Aircraft.
No practice or training flights
Special noise standards
Restriction on No. of daily flight

You have little option but to drive to Kahului :-(
I rented from Kahului (with an Instructor/Tour Guide!) and flew to
Kalaupapa for a brief stop then onto Molokai for lunch followed by a
T&G at Lanai, overhead Molokini Island and round the South of Maui to
return. One of my most memorable flights.
I had done x-wind and turbulent landings but not both together!
Gusty x-winds are standard in Maui as you will see from the commercial
flights who come in with less flap and fast.

Can't wait for my next holiday over there :-)

David
G-BHJO, Scotland UK
Old June 5th 05, 03:55 PM
Nathan Young

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 01:25:24 GMT, Kevin Bailey
wrote:

Does anyone know anything about Kapalua Airport (JHM), on the
island of Maui ? Both the Hawaiian website and MS Flight
Simulator mention it but the AOPA claims it doesn't exist.
Does it have an FBO for planes for rent ?

Yes, I know I could go to Kahului, but that's an hour drive
and Kapalua will be right across the street from the hotel.

Last year, I stayed in Kaanapali area, and drove to Kapalua airport.
It looks like a nice airport, but it is quiet, and there is definitely
not an FBO. Unless things have changed in the last year, you will not
be able to rent planes there. Also, the sectional I have indicates
that it is a private field. I think there are a few commercial
flights (island hops), but that is it.

I rented a 172 from mauiaviators and flew around the islands with an
instructor. It was beautiful, and well worth the trip to Kahului.

Have fun.

-Nathan

Old June 5th 05, 07:21 PM
Kevin Bailey

Thanks for the information everyone.

I guess I'll have to try something different.
Does anyone know of good shuttles that can carry 6
people (including pilot) from Honolulu to Kahului, and
like wise back again ?

A couple people have suggested mauiaviators.com in
Kahului who do have a Piper Seneca II so maybe that
leg is taken care of. Anyone know of a good back-up ?

Also, if anyone has a favorite shuttle out of Honolulu,
I'd greatly appreciate you sharing it.

Thanks again,
krb

Old June 5th 05, 09:47 PM
Matt B.

"Seth Masia" wrote in message
Oh, it exists. I cycled past there last summer and rode up the hill to
the airport. Paved N-S runway, nice terminal building; no FBO apparently.

Here's a page with a photograph on it.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/PHJH

Old June 5th 05, 11:30 PM
Blueskies

http://www.paragon-air.com/inter.htm

http://www.islandair.com/

WI airport closure Mike Spera Owning 0 March 9th 05 01:53 PM
NAS and associated computer system Newps Instrument Flight Rules 8 August 12th 04 05:12 AM
N94 Airport may expand into mobile home community, locals supportive William Summers Piloting 0 March 18th 04 03:03 AM
Rules on what can be in a hangar Brett Justus Owning 13 February 27th 04 05:35 PM