UNITED AIR LINES TO LAY OFF 950 PILOTS

Old June 26th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default UNITED AIR LINES TO LAY OFF 950 PILOTS

I expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing occurring as the
economy worsens:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,0,81993.story
Today we announced initial details concerning the first wave of
pilot furloughs resulting from our plans to take 100 aircraft from
our mainline fleet due to record high oil prices and a softening
U.S. economy. The first notices to furlough approximately 100
pilots for the flying month of September will be issued in
mid-July.

By the end of 2009, when we expect to complete the full reduction
of our 94 B737 aircraft and six B747s (see June 4 NewsReal), we
anticipate the need to furlough approximately 950 active pilots.
This process is one of the difficult but necessary steps we need
to take to size our business appropriately to reflect the current
market reality....
Old June 27th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Larry Dighera wrote:
I expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing occurring as the
economy worsens:

Time to burst the speculator-driven oil bubble once and for all:

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Dow plummeted more than 350 points
Thursday as selling accelerated following a record surge in oil prices.
The three major indexes took a beating right out of the gate after
Goldman Sachs downgraded two key Dow components, and two tech leaders
disappointed investors."

"Khelil joins a long list of forecasters who have made bold oil price
predictions this year. Each new forecast—such as Goldman Sachs' recent
prediction that prices could rise as high as $200—causes a jump in
prices as speculative buyers are drawn into the market."
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

"WASHINGTON (Marke****ch) -- The price of retail gasoline could fall by
half, to around $2 a gallon, within 30 days of passage of a law to limit
speculation in energy-futures markets, four energy analysts told
Congress on Monday."

So, really, the only thing that's actually driving the cost up today,
and causing stock market turbulence, is a) the jackass predictions and
b) the entities "drawn into the market" Maybe it's time to kill the
messengers after all.

Naturally, when the bubble finally bursts there will be a whole bunch of
hand-wringing and pleas for taxpayer-subsidized bailouts, ruined
retirements funds and calls for Congressional investigation. But the
economy will explode as the average American consumer feels as if a
crushing weight has just been lifted from his shoulders.

My rapidly-depreciating .02.

-c

Old June 27th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
kontiki[_2_]

gatt wrote:

"WASHINGTON (Marke****ch) -- The price of retail gasoline could fall by
half, to around $2 a gallon, within 30 days of passage of a law to limit
speculation in energy-futures markets, four energy analysts told
Congress on Monday."

Oh.. thank goodness. Congress will pass another law and solve all of our
problems. Lets keep on voting for the same law passers cuz they're doing
such a great job.
Old June 28th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jun 26, 4:15*pm, gatt wrote:

"WASHINGTON (Marke****ch) -- The price of retail gasoline could fall by
half, to around $2 a gallon, within 30 days of passage of a law to limit
speculation in energy-futures markets, four energy analysts told
Congress on Monday."

Its wonderful to hear the opinion of people who have no idea how
economics and market financing works. Futures are key to the financial
stability of the industry. If you can't sell futures you don't know
what price you are guaranteed and you can't finance anything. Futures
contracts are somethin you can take to the bank.

-Robert
Old June 28th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Robert M. Gary wrote:

"WASHINGTON (Marke****ch) -- The price of retail gasoline could fall by
half, to around $2 a gallon, within 30 days of passage of a law to limit
speculation in energy-futures markets, four energy analysts told
Congress on Monday."

Its wonderful to hear the opinion of people who have no idea how
economics and market financing works.

What's a CFII doing suggesting that four different energy analysts don't
know how economics and market financing works?

Futures are key to the financial stability of the industry.

I guess guys like me put the United States of America ahead of the the
almighty oil industry.

Futures contracts are somethin you can take to the bank.

Banks fail.

-c
Old June 28th 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
GMOD10X

This is how you fix the airline industry

1. Disband and terminate the FAILED Aviation Administration.
It is a pathetic failure and needs to be reinvented and
revamped with a new name and mission

2. Using money from the WASTE called the FAA encourage new
technology. Award huge Government grants for new fuel saving
technology in aircraft.

3. Open up the airspace between 45K and 60K to new high
altitude aircraft that can fly direct routes without Air
Traffic control antiquated nonsense

4. Set aside AMERICAN oil reserves for the airline industry
with direct from refinery to airport pipelines and remove
all federal tax on aviation fuel. (Use savings from waste
saved from FAA bloated Government barnacle)

5. Terminate the IRS and all income tax. More money in
peoples pocket will spur recreation airline travel increase

6. Encourage midnight to 6AM travel with massive discounts
and airline support

7. Install airline internet network so all airline
passengers can surf the internet and conduct business while
in flight. End the antiquated STUPID cell phone ban by the
FAA on aircraft. Cell phones DO NOT interfere with
navigation signals on aircraft that is a bunch of HOGWASH

8. Stop the stupid as HELL TSA long line security INSANITY
in our airports. Issue all flight crews Tasers and 9mm
glocks including flight attendants. If a passenger acts up
in flight and is Middle Eastern KILL them. When I fly
through Europe I don't take my ****ing shoes off why here?

9. Last but not least vote out EVERY incumbent in any
politically elected office now. Our Federal and State and
Local Governments are a DISGRACE and should be **** out like
the infected feces they are. We need a political PURGE here
in America. Starting with the White House all the way down
to the BOTTOM of Government. Complete and TOTAL purge.

I am sure there are many others jump in the waters fine
Old June 28th 08, 05:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Maynard

I had to respond to this, in the middle of the usual anti-FAA rant from
someone who obviously feels wronged by them:

On 2008-06-28, GMOD10X wrote:
End the antiquated STUPID cell phone ban by the FAA on aircraft. Cell
phones DO NOT interfere with navigation signals on aircraft that is a
bunch of HOGWASH

Whether or not they do, there's another part of this that the FAA has no
control over: the cellphone network's fundamental design, reaching down to
the lowest levels of the system's architecture, assumes that a single user
phone will be seen by a small number of cell sites. A cellphone in the air
can be seen by lots of cell sites. This confuses the system. The FCC has its
own ban on cellphone use while airborne, and has been known to fine people
for it in the past.
--
Jay Maynard, K5ZC http://www.conmicro.com
Fairmont, MN (FRM) (Yes, that's me!)
Old June 28th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

I expect to see a lot more of this sort of thing occurring as the
economy worsens:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/travel...,0,81993.story
Today we announced initial details concerning the first wave of
pilot furloughs resulting from our plans to take 100 aircraft from
our mainline fleet due to record high oil prices and a softening
U.S. economy. The first notices to furlough approximately 100
pilots for the flying month of September will be issued in
mid-July.

By the end of 2009, when we expect to complete the full reduction
of our 94 B737 aircraft and six B747s (see June 4 NewsReal), we
anticipate the need to furlough approximately 950 active pilots.
This process is one of the difficult but necessary steps we need
to take to size our business appropriately to reflect the current
market reality....

Companies that try to reduce costs rather than increase revenue eventually
tend to fold, because you can only reduce costs to zero (and you'll go out of
business long before that), whereas you can increase revenue indefinitely.
Cost-cutting is easy for even the stupidest corporate officers to understand,
but it's a poor, short-term, emergency measure, not a competent way to manage
a company.
Old June 28th 08, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

gatt writes:

So, really, the only thing that's actually driving the cost up today ...

The cost isn't really rising much. It's just that the dollar is falling. The
cost of oil in other currencies is far more stable, since they are not
falling.
Old June 28th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

Its wonderful to hear the opinion of people who have no idea how
economics and market financing works. Futures are key to the financial
stability of the industry. If you can't sell futures you don't know
what price you are guaranteed and you can't finance anything. Futures
contracts are somethin you can take to the bank.

Futures, like virtually all speculation based on worthless paper, are a form
of legalized gambling.

Power Lines.. Dan Piloting 16 August 22nd 06 06:15 PM
JOHN CHIPMAN OWNER OF CHIPMAN RELOCATIONS UNITED VAN LINES MAYFLOWER CATON MOVING & STORAGE likes to make many harassing/harassment phone calls are we having fun yet we Piloting 3 April 11th 06 01:36 PM
LINDA WEST of Chipman Moving & Storage/CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES likes to commit Fraud & Forgery likes to commit Fraud & Forgery capaliwoda Piloting 0 October 13th 05 04:08 PM
BEWARE OF Linda West (925) 876-7441 of CHIPMAN UNITED VAN LINES/Caton Mayflower Moving & Storage paupering Soaring 0 October 10th 05 07:54 AM