What has NASA done for you?

Old August 5th 05, 07:41 PM
Greg Farris

In article ,
says...

Interenting commentary, but please check
http://www.ideafinder.com/history/in...s/story068.htm. The microwave
oven did not come about because of NASA.

Neither did the CD.
But a lot of wing and aerodynamic study, that we all use in our flying
activities is attributable to NASA.

G Faris

Old August 5th 05, 08:34 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Paul kgyy" writes:

Don't forget they invented the Internet too...

Um, no. That was DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency.
Dragaera/Steven Brust: http://dragaera.info/ Much of which is still down
Old August 5th 05, 08:42 PM
Jose

Don't forget they invented the Internet too...

Um, no. That was DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency.

No, that was Al Gore.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old August 5th 05, 09:25 PM
TaxSrv

"Terry Briggs" wrote:
Not mine, since my plane was built in 1953 and NASA

probably wasn't around
at the time.

True of even modern fiberglass designs. Search through
NASA's technical report server, and one will see they
basically stopped doing subsonic research (when it was NACA)
about 50+ years ago.

Fred F.

Old August 6th 05, 01:46 AM
leslie

AES ) wrote:
: Having looked again at the list of claimed NASA "accomplishments" that
: started this thread, I'm now trying to decide if it was intended to be
: taken seriously, or tongue in cheek.
:

Here are some sites that document NASA spinoffs...

http://www.nasatech.com/Spinoff/spin...dard_mill.html
Goddard Space Flight Center-Spinoff 1988

"Automotive Design

The accompanying photos show exterior and interior views of the 1987
Honda Acura Legend Coupe, which was designed with the aid of the
NASA-developed NASTRAN^® computer program. The Legend is among the
latest cars designed by Honda R&D Company, Ltd., Japan, a longtime
user of the NASTRAN program.

The program is an off-shoot of the computer design technique that
originated in aircraft/spacecraft development. Engineers create a
mathematical model of the vehicle and "fly" it on the ground by
computer simulation. This allows study of the performance and
structural behavior of a number of different designs before settling
on a final configuration..."

http://www.thespaceplace.com/nasa/sp....html#computer
NASA spinoffs, space benefits, space history, NASA space spinoffs,
NASA technology products

The following list of spinoffs is from:

http://vesuvius.jsc.nasa.gov/er/seh/spinoff.html
THE BEST OF NASA'S SPINOFFS

Laser Angioplasty
Cardiac Imaging System
Advanced Pacemaker
Implantable Heart Aid
Body Imaging
Computer Reader for the Blind
Ocular Screening System
Advanced Wheelchair
Radiation-Blocking lenses
Collision Avoidance System (for aircraft)
Self-Righting life Raft
Weather Information Processing
Corrosion-Resistant Coating
Air/Wastewater Purification Systems
Heat Pipes for the Alaska Pipeline
Cordless Products
Stratch-Resistant Sunglass Coating
Structural Analysis (NASTRAN)
Clean Room Apparel

--Jerry Leslie
Note: is invalid for email
Old August 6th 05, 01:50 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

Jose writes:

Don't forget they invented the Internet too...

Um, no. That was DARPA, the Defense Advanced Research Projects
Agency.

No, that was Al Gore.

That old lie again? I thought it was thoroughly exploded as political
propaganda years ago. He claimed to have been, and was, important in
getting the legislation making it public passed.
Dragaera/Steven Brust: http://dragaera.info/ Much of which is still down
Old August 6th 05, 02:44 AM
Jose

No, that was Al Gore.
That old lie again?

You mean it's not true?? It was said by a politician, and I read it in
print - it has to be true.

He claimed to have been, and was, important in
getting the legislation making it public passed.

Of course I never believed that he invented the internet. I never did
know what it was that connected him with it though (other than his
mouth). Thanks for the info.

Jose
Old August 6th 05, 04:08 AM
George Patterson

Greg Farris wrote:

But a lot of wing and aerodynamic study, that we all use in our flying
activities is attributable to NASA.

Most of that was done well before NASA was born -- it's only been in the last
few years that NASA has been doing any sub-sonic research, and I haven't heard
that they actually have released anything new yet.

George Patterson
Old August 6th 05, 04:10 AM
George Patterson

Jose wrote:

Of course I never believed that he invented the internet. I never did
know what it was that connected him with it though (other than his
mouth). Thanks for the info.

The lie was that his mouth connected him to it. He never claimed to have had
anything to do with it other than voting for the original appropriation.

George Patterson

ASRS/ASAP reporting systems - how confidential? Tim Epstein Piloting 7 August 4th 05 05:20 PM
NASA chokes again Jay Honeck Piloting 20 May 2nd 05 01:43 AM
Participated in my first NASA GA research project (long) Peter R. Piloting 22 October 22nd 04 05:59 PM
NASA Research looking for pilots with WSI in-flight weather experience Peter R. Piloting 3 October 20th 04 02:23 AM
NASA Jet Might Have Hit Record 5,000 Mph Garrison Hilliard Military Aviation 0 March 28th 04 04:03 PM