Scattering Ashes

Old March 30th 05, 03:13 AM
Jon A.

That sounds like a good plan if you could deflect the ashes away from
the fuse well enough. From the light explanation I thought you dumped
them out of a hole in the belly, something I would expect from you.
Electronic ashes are those from the unfortunate components that are
burnt up in your experiments ;-)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:58:22 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

What the hell are electronic ashes? THe idea is to get a junk inspection
plate, drill a hole in it for a PVC fitting, on the outside of the airplane
cut the PVC off at a 45d angle facing aft to get vacuum, put a deflection
plate behind the PVC cutoff to deflect the ashes down, run a shopvac flex
hose up to a plastic utility box, put yet another PVC fitting on the box to
connect the hose to the box (flush fitting inside the box).

Test fly it with kitty litter. IF you got it right, test fly it again with
fireplace ashes. If you don't find kitty litter or fireplace ash somewhere
on the belly when you get back on the ground, you got it right.

WIth the dearly departed in the box, gently scoop or brush the ashes over to
the PVC drain hole in the box. When brushing gets no more of the ash out,
sluice the box out with liquid of choice to get all the ash into the drain
hole. Some may use holy water. Some may use Guinness. I want Chardonnay.

Jim

Jon A. wrote:
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:24:31 GMT, Don Tuite
wrote:

The subject comes up on the rec.aviation groups from time to time.
It'd be worth your while to google the newsgroup for it. Jim Weir has
the most carefully thought out approach. It involves removing an
inspection plate on the belly of his 182 and opening up the floor.

Don

Not recommended for human ashes. Electronic ashes may be different.

Old March 30th 05, 03:25 AM
RST Engineering

Oh, I FORGOT. This is the first full week of spring, and look what starts
crawling out from under the rocks.

Wait, what's that? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope, it's a

PLONK.

Jim

Old March 30th 05, 05:12 AM
Jon A.

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 18:25:25 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Oh, I FORGOT. This is the first full week of spring, and look what starts
crawling out from under the rocks.

Wait, what's that? Is it a bird? Is it a plane? Nope, it's a

PLONK.

Jim

If only you could be trusted!

Old March 30th 05, 02:41 PM
William W. Plummer

Jon A. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:57:57 -0600, wrote:

It's not approved to dump anything out of the aircraft.

Please cite a reference on this. As far as I know, dropping things is
forbidden only if it poses a danger to persons, places or things.
Old March 31st 05, 12:18 AM
Nick Funk

I can see the headlines now.

"F16 dispatch to bring down general aviation airplane"
Airplane spotted flying over populated area spreading white powder!

How do you spell "Homeland Security"

Chris Matras wrote:
I have a co-worker who's father just passed away. He'd like his ashes
scattered over his home town. I've read a few horror stories in
flying magazine. Does anyone have any experience with this? I have a
Mooney and am a little concerned about stuff getting blown back in, or
all over the wings. Is a high-wing the best way to go? I've also
heard that a tube and funnel thingy might be prudent.

Thankx

Old March 31st 05, 03:19 AM
Juan Jimenez

Sorry, Jon, but this time you are wrong. I suggest you do the homework.
There's no FAR or federal law that says you can't dump _anything_ from an
aircraft. For example, in California all you need is written permission from
the landowner. See section 7116 of the Health and Safety Code.

"Jon A." wrote in message
On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:41:08 -0500, "William W. Plummer"
wrote:

Jon A. wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 21:57:57 -0600, wrote:

It's not approved to dump anything out of the aircraft.

Please cite a reference on this. As far as I know, dropping things is
forbidden only if it poses a danger to persons, places or things.

You should know I don't do that. Do the homework yourself, or just
reply that since I won't, I can't so it must not be accurate.

Old March 31st 05, 03:39 AM
RST Engineering

You couldn't find your ass in a telephone booth with both hands and a GPS.

Jim

Old March 31st 05, 04:45 AM
Gord Beaman

"Juan Jimenez" wrote:

"Secret Service Denotates Urn, Gives Uncle Fred One Heck Of A Send-Off!"

Likely get more bang for their buck if they detonate the urn...
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)