WAX ?

Old October 6th 03, 08:13 PM
Kevin Neave

Can anyone tell me the best kind of wax to fill my
wings with to gain the greatest height on the pull
up?

Presumably the stuff is stiffer than water (At sensible
temperatures) so I can safely ignore those pesky flutter
limits.

And as long as I use German, rather than Czech wax,
the higher weight shouldn't cause any problems

:-)

(Thermals stopped in UK, waiting for the wave to start!)

Old October 6th 03, 08:45 PM
John Galloway

Try the new colloidal lead impregnated wax for extra
weight and better height gain - allegedly. Wear gloves
when applying it.

There's nothing wrong with Czech wax - as long as you
actually apply enough of it.

John Galloway

(just spent a day off work going shopping)

Old October 6th 03, 09:40 PM
JJ Sinclair

JJ sells a special brand of wax that will give you long life, good health and
maximum L/D, but it will peal right off if used over 80 knots and /or below 500
feet.
:)
JJ Sinclair
Old October 7th 03, 12:45 AM
Dave Nadler \YO\

Hey JJ - What about waxing a motor-glider ?
See ya, Dave

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message
I'm new to this sport and have a few questions about waxing my ship. Some

say
NEVER wax because if you ever get wet, you will come down like a STONE.

Others
say you MUST wax to ward off the TERRIBLE affects of moisture and UV. I'm
confused, can anyone help?

One more thing, what kind of wax is BEST ? I've been told that silicone is
really BAD for fiberglass. Each little individual "cone", can migrate

right
down into each little "fiber" of my ship and render it UN-REPAIRABLE,

should I
ever break it.
Winter on RAS, is officially open,
JJ Sinclair

Old October 7th 03, 03:11 PM
Tim Ward

"JJ Sinclair" wrote in message

Hey JJ - What about waxing a motor-glider ?
See ya, Dave

My wax works miracles on ALL Sailplanes, however it will peal off at the

first
sound of a Put-Put. :)
JJ Sinclair

JJ only puts Whacks on a motor glider.

Tim Ward

Old October 7th 03, 03:31 PM
Mark Zivley

Why not just wrap your wings with saranwrap. This way you won't have to
wash the wings, just remove the plastic (and the bugs with it) and put
new saranwrap on each morning. Probably has wonderful anti UV
protection too...