A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

AMS Flight and LS6 Upper Rudder Bushing

Old September 21st 18, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M
external usenet poster

Default AMS Flight and LS6 Upper Rudder Bushing

Hello,

For those that don't know, AMS Flight (www.ams-flight.si) in Slovenia owns the type certificate on the LS4 and LS6 gliders, and has been providing support for them. Unlike DG, they do not require you to pay the "LS Tax". They do not support the LS1, LS3, or LS8.

That said, I emailed them a little over a month ago and asked them for an upper rudder bushing for the LS6. They pretty quickly emailed me back asking for more information, and I responded. That was the last I heard of them.. I'm wondering if 1) they just don't like me, 2) they are on some sort of extended European vacation, 3) they are hideously backed up from European vacation, or 4) the folded?

And, I'm still looking for the bushing. Does anyone know of a source in the US (or elsewhere, preferably other than DG)?

dan
Old September 21st 18, 03:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

That's great news about support for such a fine ship!

Couldn't the bushing simply be made at a local machine shop?Â* Could you
make it yourself?Â* What's the material, brass, plastic, etc.? The LS-6
is, after all, an experimental glider.

Please read THIS
https://www.savvyaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/articles_eaa/EAA_2011-08_owner-produced-parts.pdf
about owner produced parts.Â* I think it has the answer to your problem.

Good luck!

(The other) Dan M

On 9/21/2018 7:31 AM, Dan M wrote:
Hello,

For those that don't know, AMS Flight (www.ams-flight.si) in Slovenia owns the type certificate on the LS4 and LS6 gliders, and has been providing support for them. Unlike DG, they do not require you to pay the "LS Tax". They do not support the LS1, LS3, or LS8.

That said, I emailed them a little over a month ago and asked them for an upper rudder bushing for the LS6. They pretty quickly emailed me back asking for more information, and I responded. That was the last I heard of them. I'm wondering if 1) they just don't like me, 2) they are on some sort of extended European vacation, 3) they are hideously backed up from European vacation, or 4) the folded?

And, I'm still looking for the bushing. Does anyone know of a source in the US (or elsewhere, preferably other than DG)?

dan

--
Dan, 5J

Old September 21st 18, 03:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M
external usenet poster

It's great news if they are actually supporting it and didn't go belly up.

Could the bushing be made at a local machine shop? Probably. It appears to be made of brass. It's got an offset hole, I'm not sure what the dimensions are supposed to be (or if there is supposed to be a taper) or where I'd get that from. My guess is, getting a bushing custom made at a machine shop would be quite expensive -- because anything custom made is quite expensive.

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 10:39:21 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:

Couldn't the bushing simply be made at a local machine shop?Â* Could
you make it yourself?Â* What's the material, brass, plastic, etc.?Â*
The LS-6 is, after all, an experimental glider.

Please
read THIS about owner produced parts.Â* I think it has the
answer to your problem.

Good luck!

(The other) Dan M

Hello,

That said, I emailed them a little over a month ago and asked them for an upper rudder bushing for the LS6. They pretty quickly emailed me back asking for more information, and I responded. That was the last I heard of them. I'm wondering if 1) they just don't like me, 2) they are on some sort of extended European vacation, 3) they are hideously backed up from European vacation, or 4) the folded?

dan

--

Dan, 5J

Old September 21st 18, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I don't know if things have changed with AMS Flight, but if you do a search on RAS for "AMS Flight," you will find a lengthy thread detailing the horror stories of people who tried to deal with them. The thread is from 2010.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/ams$20flight$20unethical%7Csort:date/rec.aviation.soaring/Drd024z2MhE/5hONLQwksokJ
Old September 21st 18, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

One of the acceptable methods for making the part was simply to hand the
old part to someone with the tools and abilities and asking him to make
one of these.Â* Your local EAA chapter would also be a place to get the
part made.Â* Most home builders will perform such a simple task for no
charge simply for the pleasure of keeping an aircraft flying.

On 9/21/2018 8:49 AM, Dan M wrote:
It's great news if they are actually supporting it and didn't go belly up.

Could the bushing be made at a local machine shop? Probably. It appears to be made of brass. It's got an offset hole, I'm not sure what the dimensions are supposed to be (or if there is supposed to be a taper) or where I'd get that from. My guess is, getting a bushing custom made at a machine shop would be quite expensive -- because anything custom made is quite expensive.

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 10:39:21 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:

Couldn't the bushing simply be made at a local machine shop?Â* Could
you make it yourself?Â* What's the material, brass, plastic, etc.?
The LS-6 is, after all, an experimental glider.

Please
read THIS about owner produced parts.Â* I think it has the
answer to your problem.

Good luck!

(The other) Dan M

Hello,

dan

--

Dan, 5J

--
Dan, 5J
Old September 21st 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M
external usenet poster

Well... That seems quite unpleasant. It was Ales who wrote back to me...

He wrote:

"Yes, we have rudder upper bushings available. Look the attached drawings.
Position 13, you have alternatives, or eccentric bushing 4R5-11 or a cylindrical MS bushing and the needle bearing?

After your answer we can answer you with an offer.
With kind regards,"

His diagram shows the part as: "Nadelhulse HK0609+MS-Buchse phi 12*1*10"

HK0609 seems to be a fairly off-the-shelf needle bearing. I have no idea what the "MS" is. Or what phi 12*1*10 means -- I presume that's some sort of dimension, but HK0609 seems to be a pretty standard part -- 6mm ID, 10mm OD, and 9mm thick.

Also, I clearly have the eccentric bushing and based on his drawings its not clear to me whether these are interchangeable. I can't imagine that switching between the two wouldn't locate the rudder in a different place.
The eccentric bushing is identified as "eccentric bushing" in the drawing and the part number 4R5-11 appears to be an internal LS part number that is NOT a generic part. Given a choice though of the two, the needle bearing seems superior to a bushing any day.

It's also unclear to me how its held in. It may actually be glued in the drawing has "Loctite" written on it, but I can't imagine either the bushing or bearing is threaded in, so maybe they just used "Loctite" as a generic word for glue/resin.

If I can just tap the old part out, buy an HK0609 and glue it in, that would be the easiest solution. Is it possible that the cylindrical needle bearing is in some sort of sleeve/bushing that adjusts its location?

dan

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:04:23 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I don't know if things have changed with AMS Flight, but if you do a search on RAS for "AMS Flight," you will find a lengthy thread detailing the horror stories of people who tried to deal with them. The thread is from 2010..

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.aviation.soaring/ams$20flight$20unethical%7Csort:date/rec.aviation.soaring/Drd024z2MhE/5hONLQwksokJ

Old September 21st 18, 05:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M
external usenet poster

Looking at a photo I took of the bushing, assuming it has an ID of 6mm (which is probably about right), the OD is about 12mm. The center is probably offset by between 1 and 1.5mm. I'm guessing its 10mm thick, but that's just from memory. So perhaps that means the "phi 12*1*10" means 12mm OD, 10mm ID with a 1mm offset, given that the OD of the HK0609 is 10mm.

dan

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:39:53 AM UTC-4, Dan M wrote:
Well... That seems quite unpleasant. It was Ales who wrote back to me....

He wrote:

"Yes, we have rudder upper bushings available. Look the attached drawings..
Position 13, you have alternatives, or eccentric bushing 4R5-11 or a cylindrical MS bushing and the needle bearing?

With kind regards,"

HK0609 seems to be a fairly off-the-shelf needle bearing. I have no idea what the "MS" is. Or what phi 12*1*10 means -- I presume that's some sort of dimension, but HK0609 seems to be a pretty standard part -- 6mm ID, 10mm OD, and 9mm thick.

Also, I clearly have the eccentric bushing and based on his drawings its not clear to me whether these are interchangeable. I can't imagine that switching between the two wouldn't locate the rudder in a different place.
The eccentric bushing is identified as "eccentric bushing" in the drawing and the part number 4R5-11 appears to be an internal LS part number that is NOT a generic part. Given a choice though of the two, the needle bearing seems superior to a bushing any day.

It's also unclear to me how its held in. It may actually be glued in the drawing has "Loctite" written on it, but I can't imagine either the bushing or bearing is threaded in, so maybe they just used "Loctite" as a generic word for glue/resin.

If I can just tap the old part out, buy an HK0609 and glue it in, that would be the easiest solution. Is it possible that the cylindrical needle bearing is in some sort of sleeve/bushing that adjusts its location?

dan

I don't know if things have changed with AMS Flight, but if you do a search on RAS for "AMS Flight," you will find a lengthy thread detailing the horror stories of people who tried to deal with them. The thread is from 2010.

Old September 21st 18, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS
external usenet poster

On Friday, September 21, 2018 at 11:39:53 AM UTC-4, Dan M wrote:
Well... That seems quite unpleasant. It was Ales who wrote back to me....

He wrote:

"Yes, we have rudder upper bushings available. Look the attached drawings..

With kind regards,"

dan

Hi Dan,

I have no idea what the "MS" is.

MS is the abbreviation for 'Messing' or Brass.

Uli
'AS'
Old September 21st 18, 07:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Hi Dan,

just a detail in this discussion, but actually AMS is no longer the owner of the LS6 type certificate. DG got it back several years ago (see https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/def...s_issue-7.pdf).

You will need the brass part for the upper rudder bushing. The needle bearing is for the lower one.

Christoph
Old September 21st 18, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan M
external usenet poster

Thanks so much for all the info. This is great!

According to the drawings, the bottom "bushing" is an off the shelf needle bearing.

The top bushing is listed as either a brass eccentric bushing, it also lists an alternate off the shelf needle bearing (of a different size from the bottom) + MS (brass) bushing.

The bushing that is in there appears to be glued in. Do you know the proper dimensions of it or the removal/replacement instructions?

Dan