Non-stop Atlantic crossing

Old August 27th 04, 10:37 PM
Graham Wilson

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:41:07 +0100, Peter
wrote:

For legal reasons, nobody can say anything else.

As every solicitor learns during their first week of law school:

Never ask a question to which you do not already know the answer.

Graham

Old August 28th 04, 04:50 PM
Thomas Borchert

Gwengler,

I've read the report. Seems atypical to me. FWIW, the Thielert-172
operated by Canair here in Uetersen gets nothing but praise by the
owner. One of the comments to the report you quoted is similar.
Nonetheless, yes, these things are new and thus full of surprises. Big
traditional engines are different: A top overhaul after some hundred
hours shouldn't come as a surprise - it is expected.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 29th 04, 12:01 AM
Stefan

B S D Chapman wrote:

We're not talking about two or three airframes here. We're talking
about a procurement programme that has been running for years.

Their Thielert procurement programme has hardly been running for years...

Stefan

Old August 29th 04, 12:16 AM
Stefan

gwengler wrote:

D-ECAY, a C172R, has a Thielert Diesel installed. A detailed
"Dauertest" kann be found at www.pilotundflugzeug.de I don't think
Flight Training Cologne, the operator, is happy with the performance
for various reasons, mainly engine un-reliability,

You didn't read carefully enough. The enginge has proved to be very
reliable, not a singel engine out or other sudden anomly has been reported.

However, they did have problems. This seems to be mainly a problem with
integrating the engine into this particular Cessna model: Power
reduction caused by the muffler and the like. Certainly not what you
would expect, but not a problem of the engine as such. I'm not aware of
similiar problems with the DA40.

Stefan

Old August 29th 04, 01:07 AM
C Kingsbury

Thomas Borchert wrote in message ...
Peter,

. I just wish they got the
engine reliability sorted out.

Show me numbers that make the Thielert appear unreliable. I haven't
heard of ANY. But I'd be real interested.

On one hand TDi engines are the first really promising "new" engine
concept for GA in some time. Microjets may become much cheaper but
they will always be for the high, fast, and rich crowd. We need an
alternative for 200kts below the flight levels that doesn't rely on
100LL.

That being said, there's a lot of questions for the TDi to answer, and
most of those will come with experience. Airplane engines are finicky
things and even with the exact same engine you see different issues
depending on how they're installed. Plus, I know I can get parts and
decent service for a Continental or Lycoming without too much hassle,
but I suspect that it will take time to build up expertise in the
diesels.

Also, I want to know that given the cost, Thielert/SMA/whoever will
not go out of business anytime soon. If that happens then the engines
are living on borrowed time until parts inventory runs out. Then
supporting them mushrooms in price. Again, not a concern buying brands
L or C.

Still, I hope Thielert succeeds. I'd be willing to be a test pilot,
but a test owner is a bit more than I've the wallet for. Like the old
saying goes, "pioneers get arrows in the back, settlers get land."

-cwk.
Old August 29th 04, 08:51 AM
Thomas Borchert

Peter,

That's not true. A well managed engine will make TBO. A mismanaged
engine won't make 100hrs.

I know MANY owners of big bore Continentals who think otherwise. I don't
think the numbers are with you. But neither of us will be able to prove
our point.

FADEC should make the need for careful ("complicated" for many pilots)
engine management a thing of the past, but we are not there yet. Give
me a turbine anytime, e.g. a Grob 140

Which FADEC? Where can I buy one?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old August 29th 04, 04:40 PM
Newps

Thomas Borchert wrote:

FADEC should make the need for careful ("complicated" for many pilots)
engine management a thing of the past, but we are not there yet. Give
me a turbine anytime, e.g. a Grob 140

Which FADEC? Where can I buy one?

FADEC is full authority digital engine control. One version goes to a
full electronic ignition just like your car, you ditch the mags and you
also get fully variable timing. So you lose the mixture control too.
You have to have fuel injection for this to work. Your engine will
always be running as lean as it is possible to run. A typical 182 owner
can expect to save 2 gph, that's how bad we are mismanaging our engines
now. You will also be able to use lower compression or lower octane
fuel as the computer will retard timing if the engine wants to detonate.

Old August 29th 04, 04:47 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Thomas Borchert wrote:

Which FADEC? Where can I buy one?

Newps has provided the description. Check http://www.fadec.com/availability.html for
your engine.

George Patterson
If you want to know God's opinion of money, just look at the people
he gives it to.
Old August 30th 04, 04:44 AM
Don Hammer

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:47:30 -0500, Chris W wrote:

Paul Sengupta wrote:
http://ukga.com/news/view.cfm?contentId=2197

This article claims that it is 1,300 nautical miles from London to
St.John's. Is this accurate? Two different mapping programs I have
give the distance to be more like 2,000 nautical miles. Which one is
right, and if my software is wrong, does anyone know of any good
software that will give me accurate measures of distance between any 2
points on the globe?

Try http://gc.kls2.com/ for a great circle program
Cheers
Old August 30th 04, 06:56 AM
Thomas Borchert

Newps,

Thanks, but I knew what FADEC is. What I tried to point out is that it
isn't available for the TCM or Lyc engines that get so much praise here
- except for the one engine in the Liberty.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)