Revolution Mini 500 - is it buildable?

Old February 19th 07, 06:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stuart & Kathryn Fields

Default Revolution Mini 500 - is it buildable?

I'm curious as to why this discussion showed up here vs. the starved
rec.aviation. rotorcraft? This NG is hurting for any rotorcraft discussion.

--
Stuart Fields
Experimental Helo magazine

www.vkss.com
www.experimentalhelo.com

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:07:59 GMT, cavelamb himself
wrote:

Ron Wanttaja wrote:

On Fri, 5 Jan 2007 12:45:48 -0400, "Juan Jimenez"

wrote:

A quick check on the NTSB site shows eight more accidents between

1/1/1998
and present date. Three of them were fatal. Four in 1998, two in 2000,

two
in 2002, and _nothing_ since then, thank goodness.

A more detailed check shows 16 Mini-500 accidents between 1/1/1998 and
12/31/2000. Same period saw 28 Rotorway accidents.

Between 2002 and 2005, four Mini-500s, 29 Rotorways.

Ron Wanttaja

I'd almost credit those numbers to the difference in rotor inertia.

The Rotorway has a very light (relatively) rotor system with
correspondingly lower rotor inertia.

Big difference between 1-2 seconds to dump the collective vs 4-5.

Maintain thy rotor RPM lest the Earth rise up and smite thee...

An aviation writer friend of mine went to a Robinson training session
a few years ago. He said you had 1.3 seconds to dump the collective
in the R22.

He was thinking of writing an article and calling it "Small Helicopter
Safety: Myth or Fable?"

Old February 21st 07, 04:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dennis Fetters

Stuart & Kathryn Fields wrote:
Dennis: Ken's article referred to a vibration level in the Mini of 10 IPS
before the mast and other mods were made. Is this accurate? I've never
experienced more than 2.0 IPS in my Baby Belle and it got my immediate
attention.

Dear Stuart @ Kathryn,

Sorry to take so long to answer, I was out of the country on a business
trip.

Thank you for reading the KitPlanes article. You are correct in thinking
the IPS level in the article is to high. That was a typo. It is supposed
to read "1.0", not "10".

BTW my wife's comment that it had to have two seats stopped me
from buying a Mini. I've talked to a few Mini drivers who seem to be
satisfied with their ride. My experience with the magazine has indicated
there is a wide variety of helicopter owners and what they look for as good
in a ship.

Yes, we have had many happy owners, as you can see in the old KitPlanes
Completions section of the magazine.

Thank you for taking the time to write the nice comments, and best of luck.

Most sincerely,

Dennis Fetters

Old February 28th 07, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger[_4_]

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 10:56:56 -0800, "Stuart & Kathryn Fields"
wrote:

I'm curious as to why this discussion showed up here vs. the starved
rec.aviation. rotorcraft? This NG is hurting for any rotorcraft discussion.

This is a "homebuilders group" so it sounds logical to me.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old February 28th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

I'm curious as to why this discussion showed up here vs. the starved
rec.aviation. rotorcraft? This NG is hurting for any rotorcraft discussion.

This is a "homebuilders group" so it sounds logical to me.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-

Hi Roger.

Something logical about choppers?

P.S.
ARRL group does not meet here, either. :-)

Barnyard BOb - native of Hartford

Old March 2nd 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger[_4_]

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:19:31 -0600, Barnyard BOb
wrote:

I'm curious as to why this discussion showed up here vs. the starved
rec.aviation. rotorcraft? This NG is hurting for any rotorcraft discussion.

This is a "homebuilders group" so it sounds logical to me.
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-

Hi Roger.

Something logical about choppers?

It's not logical, but I've always wanted to get the rating.

Then again when people look at that K1A5 IO-540 and then the engine
mount on the front of the G-III fuselage they almost always utter
those famous words, "You're going to put that...Where?"

P.S.
ARRL group does not meet here, either. :-)

Sure we do. Didn't any one give your the recognition sign. We have to
talk in code so no one recognizes us, unless we start talking about
BPL.:-))

73

Roger