Air America breaking news: "USA to fingerprint ALL visitors !!!"

Old April 4th 04, 10:31 AM
Marie Lewis

"Bert Hyman" wrote in message
In nobody wrote:

That is why, if you are going to leave personal information with a
government, you must have trust that the government will not misuse that
information. The current USA regime has broken that trust because it has
misused the information.

As did the one before it, and the one before that, and the one before that
and ...

As will the one that follows it.

I hope you are wrong or we will never be willing to return to the USA.

Old April 4th 04, 10:33 AM
Marie Lewis

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
om...
In article ,
AJC wrote:

Having finger-prints taken for a driving licence? Maybe in Cuba, the
former DDR, or some other 'big brother' regime, but certainly not in
any free country. Finger-printing is for criminals.

Check up on Brazil, then. They were complaining about fingerprinting
people from Brazil coming into the US, but neglected to note that they
already fingerprint and photograph *all* of their own citizens.

What a country does to its own citizens is a matter for that country and
those very citizens. Do you understand that?

What it does to other nationalities can be insulting and insensitive. That
is what the USA is.

Old April 4th 04, 10:34 AM
Marie Lewis

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
om...
In article , nobody
wrote:

But if a government captures your own body's information
(fingerprints, DNA, eye retina scan etc), then they "own" part of
your body/identity.

So you have some sort of bizarre fantasy where they could do *more*
things to you than any major government already *can*, right?

"Mr. Ashcroft, we have this Mr. Nobody's DNA on file!"

"Great, we can activate the orbital mind control lasers to affect just
*him*! BWAhahahahahaaaaa! No, if we just had his fingerprints, we
could build a perfect Life Model Decoy!"

--

Reductio ad asurdum, again. Grow up.

Old April 4th 04, 10:36 AM
Marie Lewis

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
om...
Note that over the last couple of years, firearms laws have been
*relaxing* across most of the US, with one of the sillier ones going
away this September (the Assault Weapons Ban).

You would hate to live in the UK, then. You would not be able to own a
firearm.

Old April 4th 04, 10:46 AM
Marie Lewis

"Quantum Foam Guy" wrote in message

A very important point seems to be left out of this discussion: America is
at war with an enemy that has attacked us on our soil.

During wartime,
certain rules are established in order ensure our security as much as
possible. Once the war is over, those rules are lifted.

Don't bet on it.

In any case, you have no chance of winning this "war," Terrorism has always
existed and always will. If you don't realise that, you are very naive.

If we didn't have
moslem psychopaths trying to kill as many of our citizens as possible and

we
were still putting these security measures in place, I would agree that we
shouldn't be doing so. But that's not the world we live in.

Ah, you are anti Muslim! All is revealed.

I, personally, don't trust "born again" Christians who used to be drunks.

Old April 4th 04, 10:51 AM
Marie Lewis

"Gord Beaman" wrote in message
"Marie Lewis" wrote:

Please note that we all have the rest of the world to visit. Why visit a
country which treats us as criminals?

Not to be argumentative Marie but think what you're
saying...security has been tightened all over (including your
country) hasn't it?...

I have answered you on another NG.

Old April 4th 04, 11:29 AM
David Horne

Sjoerd wrote:

"Chad Irby" schreef in bericht
om...

But for the 200 to 500 mile range, people over here have *cars*, which
gives them much more flexibility. And the continental US is 3000 miles
across.

I own a nice car. But I travel by train often when it is more convenient. I
get to read a nice book or the newspaper, I can stare out of the window and
relax, I arrive fresh, I get to chat to interesting people of various age
groups, etc, etc. Many advantages of travelling by train.

I lived in the US for 11 years, and had a car for about 1 of them. I
don't recall feeling stranded in those ten years! To tell the truth,
when I did have the car, I tended to use it for unnecessary trips. I
believe in public transport, refuse to own a car, and make choices about
where I live as a result- that is, I live close to good public transport
links. If people thought a little bit more about that, we might have
cleaner air to breathe- instead, the focus on building new housing
complexes in the UK tends to depend on the occupants having cars- the
government really seems to have abondoned public transport- rural
railways and bus routes have been decimated in the last 40 years.

David

--
David Horne- www.davidhorne.net
Old April 4th 04, 11:53 AM
Sjoerd

"Chad Irby" schreef in bericht
om...
In article ,
Peter Kemp wrote:

Still takes too bloody long though - of the 30+ countries I've been
to, entering over half I've never had to spend more than 20 seconds at
immigration (and quite often just walk past showing the *outside* of
my UK passport), and I'll be buggered if they're getting my
fingerprints without a fight.

Really funny.

The folks from countries with government-sponsored health care, with the
government knowing the results of their last rectal exams, are worried
about fingerprints...

Universal health care has nothing to do with government officials have
access to medical records. You need to study these things a bit more before
making absurd claims.

Sjoerd

Old April 4th 04, 12:14 PM
Stephen Harding

Chad Irby wrote:

In article ,
James Robinson wrote:

How do you feel about the registration of firearm?

I don't approve of it.

Note that over the last couple of years, firearms laws have been
*relaxing* across most of the US, with one of the sillier ones going
away this September (the Assault Weapons Ban).

I live in Massachusetts, a state with some of the most
strict gun laws in the country.

I've had a pistol permit for years, and to get one, I've
undergone background checks from local, state police and
FBI. My picture and fingerprints are on file at all those
locations. I have to repeat the procedure every 5 years
to renew it (now at a cost of $100).

I am automatically considered such a potential danger to
society because of my interest in "plinking" with a hand
gun, that even civil libertarians seem to have no problem
with the procedure.

Yet to filter potential terrorists from entry to the country
via a 15 second on average, scan of finger prints is thought
to represent a serious breach of civil liberty.

I think anyone coming from Europe or the rest of the world,
who truly feels this represents "big brother" or "police
state America" best just stay home. I don't have much
sympathy for them.

SMH

Old April 4th 04, 12:18 PM
Sjoerd

"Stephen Harding" schreef in bericht

I think anyone coming from Europe or the rest of the world,
who truly feels this represents "big brother" or "police
state America" best just stay home. I don't have much
sympathy for them.

Fine, we agree then and I for sure will stay home. I don't trust the US
government and believe they might abuse my fingerprints.

Sjoerd