Bomber-jacket leather and our law

Old September 13th 03, 12:28 PM
John Carrier

I just skimmed the article, but I don't recall it mentioning the air force
(the original spec USAF jacket was horsehide IIRC). OTOH the Navy (remember
those guys that fly off boats?) G-2 is goatskin.

R / John

Old September 13th 03, 12:40 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: Bomber-jacket leather and our law
From: Cub Driver
Date: 9/13/03 3:05 AM Pacific Daylight Time

allow Pakistan to provide the goatskin leather used in the distinctive
U.S.
aviator bomber jackets. The Defense Department has notified a U.S.

leather
tanner that it will waive provisions of the law known as the Berry
Amendment
that requires the Pentagon to buy key components from U.S. manufacturers.
In
April, the Pentagon announced it would buy 12,000 to 30,000 of the brown,
fur-collared bomber jackets over the next several years.

I'm around the USAF a lot and I don't remember any such item as a brown
fur-collared bomber jacket as current issue. A-2 aircrew jacket maybe but

think someone is describing a WWII item.

Tex

If you go to my website and click on "After Koblenz" I am wearing a fur
collared flight jacket, but I don't recall the
designation. It sure wasn't an A-2. The shot was made in 1944 at Florennes
Belgium after the Koblenz mission.

.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

I don't understand how the Pentagon can revoke a law. I thought only congresss
could do that.

Old September 13th 03, 05:34 PM
Michael Wise

In article ,
Aerophotos wrote:

sound like US Navy G- jackets

how ironic

flying over arab land wearing arab clothing

Pakistanis are not arabs, nor is Arabic their language.

--Mike

Buy Pakistani?
The Pentagon is about to waive "buy American" provisions of U.S. law

and

Old September 13th 03, 09:42 PM
Ragnar

"Aerophotos" wrote in message
sound like US Navy G- jackets

how ironic

flying over arab land wearing arab clothing

Pity you're an idiot. Pakistanis aren't Arabs.

Old September 14th 03, 10:30 AM
Cub Driver

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 06:05:53 -0400, Cub Driver
wrote:

Do you like George Bush in that photo? That would decide the matter
one way or another

Excuse me, Art! I wasn't inquiring about your political preferences. I
mean to ask: do you *look* like Geo Bush in that photo!

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 14th 03, 12:32 PM
ArtKramr

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Naaaah. We never flew in all that fancy stuff.

Old September 15th 03, 10:49 AM
Cub Driver

On 14 Sep 2003 11:32:04 GMT, (ArtKramr) wrote:

Naaaah. We never flew in all that fancy stuff.

Pity. You might have had a great career in politics.

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old September 15th 03, 05:07 PM
Michael

From: "Tex Houston"
777
Date: 9/12/03 6:32 PM Pacific Daylight Time

"Mike Yared" wrote in message
from
http://www.washtimes.com/national/inring.htm
Buy Pakistani?
The Pentagon is about to waive "buy American" provisions of U.S. law

and
allow Pakistan to provide the goatskin leather used in the distinctive

U.S.
aviator bomber jackets. The Defense Department has notified a U.S. leather
tanner that it will waive provisions of the law known as the Berry

Amendment
that requires the Pentagon to buy key components from U.S. manufacturers.

In
April, the Pentagon announced it would buy 12,000 to 30,000 of the brown,
fur-collared bomber jackets over the next several years.

No reason US tanneries can't meet that small demand spread over
several years. Jeez, more leather jackets than that where made in a
month during WWII.

I'm around the USAF a lot and I don't remember any such item as a brown
fur-collared bomber jacket as current issue. A-2 aircrew jacket maybe but I
think someone is describing a WWII item.

They are describing the USN G-1 (I'm wearing one today), but the spec
for that jacket was changed from goat to cow back in '69 or '70. G-1s
are still made of goat for the public, but I thought all the jackets
produced for the Navy were cow. Maybe some are goat...

The USAF uses goat for their current A-2, and recently made changes to
the jacket pattern to make it easier to procure quality goatskin for
the jackets.

As for using US or foreign leather, who cares? The US shouldn't even
be producing either jacket. Both the A-2 and G-1 are useless in the
cockpit of modern AC. I don't buy the story that there is a shortage
of goatskin in the US though.

If you go to my website and click on "After Koblenz" I am wearing a fur
collared flight jacket, but I don't recall the designation. It sure wasn't an A-2. The shot was made in 1944 at Florennes Belgium after the Koblenz mission.

You're wearing a B-10, probably my favorite flight jacket.
Standardized in July '43, arrived in the ETO in March '44 and were
used through the end of the war. No leather in it though... cotton
shell with an alpaca lining. Much warmer than an A-2 (or a B-3 if you
wear an F-3 suit under B-10) and much easier to mass produce.

~Michael