Lantern Test

Old December 21st 04, 11:45 AM
Jono

Default Lantern Test

Hey,

I was applying for a job as an ATCO, and have been given an invitation
to the selection day, however on the application form there was lots
of questions about vision - whether your short or long sighted etc,
but nothing about colour blindness. I have perfect vision except for a
slight red-green colour blindness. I fail on 30% of the ishihara
tests.

not wanting to waste their or my time, I contacted the recruitment
manager explaining what I just mentioned above and he said...

"I am afraid that if you have a red/green colour deficiency it is
highly likely that you would not be able to hold a medical certificate
which is a legal requirement for the ATCO licence. In order to
satisfy the medical criteria you would need to be able to pass the
"lantern" test."

So basically, what I want to know is, can I pass the lantern test if i
normally fail the ishihara tests? or is it harder to pass? Also is
there anywhere I can get this done publicly...

I have spoken to my optician and he says that no-one has asked him for
one of those tests for 10 years! he says its only the CAA and some
train companies that do these, and he knows of nowhere that you can
have one done, except at the interview...

Any info will be greatfully recieved.

Many Thanks
Jon.
Old December 21st 04, 06:16 PM
David Cartwright

"Jono" wrote in message
om...
So basically, what I want to know is, can I pass the lantern test if i
normally fail the ishihara tests? or is it harder to pass? Also is
there anywhere I can get this done publicly...

Yes, it's possible to pass the lantern test if you failed the Ishihara
Plates.

The lantern test, is, however, a complete and utter farce - at least the way
the CAA administers it is.

I wanted to get my "VFR by day only" restriction (imposed due to slight
colour blindness, identified by me failing some of the Ishihara images)
lifted, and thus arranged a lantern test with the CAA at Gatwick. The test
was held in a windowless room, under fluorescent light. A few minutes into
the test I got a combination of red/green wrong, which caused me to fail the
test (you're allowed to confuse red and white or green and white, but not
red and green, for fairly obvious reasons). At this point the test was
terminated and the examiner flatly refused to go any further - despite the
fact I had paid good money for the test. So I only ever got to experience
the lantern test under bright, fluorescent light - never in ambient light,
and never in darkness; and I'm convinced that the fact I was quite tired,
having spent the previous four hours on trains and pounding around London on
the Tube, didn't help.

Since then the CAA has lifted the "VFR" part of my restriction, so I hold an
IMC rating and a "Flights by day only" restriction due to my colour vision
(you can't do a night rating if you can't pass the colour test).

To sum up, then: I am allowed to fly by day, and despite the CAA being of
the opinion that I'm colour blind, this seemingly doesn't matter (presumably
they understand that if my radio conks out, I'm going to have to look at
lights being shone from the tower). But I'm not allowed to fly at night,
despite the CAA having never tested my ability to discern colours in the
dark. (Incidentally, I've had night lessons and I have indeed been able to
distinguish 100% of coloured lights).

So you'll see why I have no faith in the CAA's lantern test.

One thing I will mention, incidentally: have a look on www.pprune.org;
there's a shedload of useful colour vision stuff in the Medical forum there.

I have spoken to my optician and he says that no-one has asked him for
one of those tests for 10 years! he says its only the CAA and some
train companies that do these, and he knows of nowhere that you can
have one done, except at the interview...

There used to be an optician in Cobham, Surrey, that had a lantern box
because the CAA medical department was too busy and so they farmed some
lantern tests out. Sadly, I can't remember their name, but I can't imagine
there are very many opticians in Cobham.

D.

Old December 22nd 04, 04:02 AM
Gord Beaman

(Jono) wrote:

[...]

Being no expert in these matters I've found that usually it's
best to let sleeping dogs lie...go take the test, what have you
lost but some time and you'll be repaid by knowing that you
really are somewhat (at least) colour blind. Good luck Jon.
--

-Gord.
(use gordon in email)
Old December 26th 04, 01:03 AM
J. Severyn

"Jono" wrote in message
om...
Hey,

I was applying for a job as an ATCO, and have been given an invitation
to the selection day, however on the application form there was lots

In the US there are several standard tests that may be use in place of the
Ishihara test when administered by an authorized person. One of these is
the Farnsworth lantern test. Check out
http://www.aviationmedicine.com/colorvision.htm#stds or Google for more
info.

It looks like UK pilots who fail the Ishihara test have the Holmes-Wright
lantern test as a fallback. Check out
http://www.optometry.co.uk/articles/...04/Chorley.pdf

Peace and Goodwill,
John Severyn KLVK

Old December 27th 04, 12:42 PM
David Cartwright

"J. Severyn" wrote in message
It looks like UK pilots who fail the Ishihara test have the Holmes-Wright
lantern test as a fallback. Check out
http://www.optometry.co.uk/articles/...04/Chorley.pdf

The CAA's documentation has historically been slightly confusing on the
matter. The only stuff I found on their Web site when I looked related to
Class 1 medicals - the Holmes Wright was not mentioned at all for Class 2
(PPL) medicals. However, the documentation that the CAA sends to AMEs does
state (according to my AME) that a Class 2 medical certificate holder can
have his colour-vision-induced restriction (which basically states that you
may fly by day only, and which is inflicted if you fail the Ishihara Plates
test) lifted by passing the HW lantern test.

D.