Vertica V2 (Avier) vs Oudie?

Old May 19th 14, 04:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nicholas L

Default Vertica V2 (Avier) vs Oudie?

Can someone comment as to Sunlight readability of the Vertica V2 in comparison to the Naviter Oudie 2?

I have read that the Vertica can run multiple applications at once while the Oudie only can run one. The gps accuracy of the Vertica is supposedly better.

Are there other features of the Oudie that make it a superior choice to the Vertica / Avier?

Nick
Old May 19th 14, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi Nick,

It is my understanding that the Oudie 2 has a faster processor and firmware
or hardware that allows for faster screen updates.

The Oudie is supplied with many accessories and cables and adapters for
connection to a wide variety of soaring instruments. I think the V2 comes
with very few accessories.

The Oudie is supplied with SeeYou Mobile software pre-installed. Buying the
license is optional on the Oudie 2. If you buy it from me I install the
license key for you. The Oudie IGC is only available with the license
pre-installed. Many customers are not technical types and really like have
the unit arrive ready to fly with all the software and waypoints and
airspace installed.

I believe that the sunlight visibility of the Oudie 2 and Oudie IGC and
Vertical V2 is identical.

I'm not sure you're correct that the Oudie cannot run multiple applications.
I have never heard that.

The only advantage that I'm aware of for the V2 is that it has 2 serial
ports. However, to have that it uses a somewhat rare high-density mini-USB
connector. Larry Goddard and I have been unable to find mating connectors
for it here in the USA. But we have found some in Europe. That makes
cables for it more expensive, but we do offer cables for the V2.

The Oude is hugely successful with over 5000 sold around the world. That
makes it easy to find someone at the gliderport with the same device - which
makes it easy to get local support.

I work hard to support the Oudie and SeeYou Mobile extremely well. I don't
sell the Vertica V2. Naviter also supports their products very well.

Those are some of the reasons why the Naviter Oudie has been so hugely
successful. It really is a great and reliable product.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
______________________________________

Old May 19th 14, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

Ditto!

Mike
Old May 19th 14, 03:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Sunday, May 18, 2014 8:42:55 PM UTC-7, Nicholas L wrote:
Can someone comment as to Sunlight readability of the Vertica V2 in comparison to the Naviter Oudie 2?

I have read that the Vertica can run multiple applications at once while the Oudie only can run one. The gps accuracy of the Vertica is supposedly better.

Are there other features of the Oudie that make it a superior choice to the Vertica / Avier?

Nick

I bought a new "sunlight readable" Oudie about a year ago with the understanding that I could install other software (XCSoar, LK8000 etc,) on itas well.
The short story is that it can be done, one at a time and yes it is somewhat risky as unless you are a real competent computer geek which I'm not things will get screwed up. The matter affect I screwed this up so bad that I needed to send it back to Richard at Craggy who managed to reinstall SYM on it and than I just left it alone.
I since than bought the Vertica2/Avier PNA and installed WinPilot, SYM and XCSoar on the sd card and I have to say all works as advertised.( I for one prefer WinPilot as long as it is being supported which it is not! than XCSoar and my very last choice is SeeYou mobil in that order) The sunlight readability is about the same as Paul Remde mentions above. The fact that the versatility is superior to the Oudie makes the Vertica2?Avier a much better choice.
6PK
Old May 19th 14, 03:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Monday, May 19, 2014 7:32:59 AM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
[...]

One more comment; I can not make out any noticeable differences in the processor speed, they both appear to behave the same to me. The Vertica2/Avier comes with plenty of accessories more or less the same as the Oudie2.
I had no trouble loading the files onto the micro sd card and as I said I have at best average computer skills.
6PK
Old May 19th 14, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Monday, May 19, 2014 7:50:52 AM UTC-7, 6PK wrote:
[...]

A question since you owned both: I have an Avier, the touchscreen seems very coarse. This is in comparison to the earlier HP/Compaq products, and certainly in comparison to an iPhone. That makes positioning the cursor (especially in bumpy conditions) in the small boxes required by Winpilot and in the ridiculously small boxes required by SYM difficult compared to the older products. I have been told by Oudie owners that this is not a problem, and wonder if either the Qudie has a better touchscreen, or they are just insensitive to the problem? When you use something like iGlide on the iPhone, you realize just how 20th century some of these there products are.
Old May 19th 14, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, May 19, 2014 10:13:23 AM UTC-5, jfitch wrote:

That makes positioning the cursor (especially in bumpy conditions) in the small boxes required by Winpilot and in the ridiculously small boxes required by SYM difficult compared to the older products. I have been told by Oudie owners that this is not a problem, and wonder if either the Qudie has a better touchscreen, or they are just insensitive to the problem?

You do realize that you can make the touch boxes on SYM bigger - or combine several into really big touch area by assigning the same command to adjacent boxes?

The beauty of SYM is that it is almost totally customizable.

Kirk
66
Old May 19th 14, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter Kovari

I can't say that the touch screen of the Avier feels any different from the Oudie2. They are about the same.
As far as the size of navigational boxes;in all three software they are customizable both in size and fonts.
About the only negative I have found between the two type ofPNA's is that the battery capacaty maybe lower in the Avier. I highly recommend really either to run off the aircraft main battery or use an external vattery as one will not be able to use them on longer flights.
6PK
Old May 20th 14, 12:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark

I don't know if the Avier is still available. I understand that neither of the similar units previously sold in Europe, the Vertica V2 and the GliderGuider, are available any longer. Vertica may have plans to introduce a new improved product in due course.

I have extensive experience of Oudie 1, Oudie 2 and GliderGuider. Currently, I run SeeYou Mobile on a GliderGuider using the internal gps but external power as a backup to my LX9000. I can confirm that Oudie 2 and GliderGuider have the same - truly excellent - screen brightness, and that for either one you need an external power source if you want to run for more than about 2 hours.

The big advantage to me of GliderGuider is that it uses an aviation gps. Oudie uses a car gps, which is not accurate when circling and therefore does not give accurate wind. As a result, if you are using the internal gps, Oudie does not give an accurate final glide - Naviter accept this. This was my reason for getting the GliderGuider to replace an Oudie. SYM on the GG gives very similar wind and final glide to the LX9000. The GG was also supplied for less money than an Oudie 2 with a good selection of accessories and leads. I had good support when I experienced a hardware issue - not the fault of the unit - on the GG. I do not consider it difficult to install any of the software programmes on the GG but some people might want help with it.

Most people at my club who have bought in the last 18 months have bought the GliderGuider, and are using it with the free LK8000 - a stunning value combination. (If you want to use the also free XC Soar, you do better to find an Android device to use it on, maybe a cheap e-reader if you can accept monochrome - see the XC Soar forum.). Personally, I prefer SYM to the free programmes and have a license. I recommend it strongly - but on choice of software what I mostly recommend is to use a product which is popular at your club. All the rival software products are enormously powerful, none are particularly easy to learn.

On the other hand, I can also confirm that the faster processor and greater memory of the Oudie do make a noticeable difference to screen refresh times. There are many situations where there is a noticeable delay to screen redrawing, and it is much longer on the GG than on the Oudie - and slightly annoying. We are talking about several seconds delay on the GG before the map details come back after exiting the thermal assistant, for example. If you use SeeYou Mobile software, the internal gps can be used as a backup to an external gps only on the Oudie. SYM cannont do this on any other device, although LK8000 and XC Soar can both do this on most devices. If you buy an Oudie, you get lifetime free updates of SYM, whereas if you want to use SYM on another device as I do and to keep it up to date you have to pay an annual fee (current £50).

For somebody intending to use an external gps source I would recommend the Oudie 2 even if the Avier is still available because of the better performance. The best device of the lot is the Oudie IGC with a day long battery, accurate gps and IGC logger, but it is much more expensive. It is poor value unless you need an additional IGC logger.

I would mention that however good Naviter's support has generally been they have made a bad mistake in the last few weeks, issuing an update which has caused substantial problems. This is a rare mistake by Naviter and has already been mostly sorted out.

I expect that whatever you buy now, there will be something better along shortly - probably a colour e-ink Android device.

Good luck!

Mark Burton, serial gps buyer, London Gliding Club, UK

Old May 20th 14, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mark628CA

You guys do realize that this thread is quickly devolving into a texting-while-flying discussion.

EYES UP AND OUT!

WTB: Dead Oudie/V2/Avier jfitch Soaring 2 September 13th 13 04:25 PM
Avier/Vertica Sports V2 Question [email protected] Soaring 1 September 8th 13 09:36 PM
Vertica V3? son_of_flubber Soaring 28 January 10th 13 09:44 PM
WinPilot locked up my Vertica 2 PNA - help! [email protected] Soaring 5 January 1st 13 09:04 PM