GPS approach question

Old January 5th 05, 09:16 AM

The GX50 is something of an oddity in some ways. I actually make a
fair amount of money just showing people how to set the OBS in that
box. It doesnt work like the others--wont read it from the external
display, you have to set it on the keyboard, and they hid it real good,
both on the box and in the manual.

For any GPS to be IFR approach approved, it has to drive an external
CDI indicator. In most installations, it shares the NAV1 indicator
with the #1 VOR receiver, and there is a switching unit on the panel
(somewhere), external to either the GPS or the indicator that controls
which box gets to talk to the display.

Some of the GX50 boxes came with their own, third display which is
dedicated to the GPS, so in these installations there is no NAV/GPS
switch.

The Garmin 430/530 boxes incorporate the #1 VOR rx and the GPS into the
same chassis, so on these boxes the NAV/GPS switch is a pushbutton on
the front of the box, rather than on an external panel. They also
renamed it: the button is labelled CDI, and the annunciator it controls
toggles between VLOC and GPS.

It helps to sit down with your avionics tech and make a block diagram
for your installation so you know how all this is hooked up--in *your*
airplane.

Think you got problems, consider the installation in a high-performance
single or twin, typically equipped with GPS, autopilot and DME:

NAV/GPS switch determines which box (VOR#1 or GPS) drives #1 CDI.
NAV1/NAV2 switch determines which CDI the autopilot follows.
Another NAV1/NAV2 switch determines which VOR rx is used by the DME for
remote automatic channeling.

These three switches are similar enough in appearance and function that
a lot of pilots get really screwed up. Add to this some faded out
labelling and you have a real opportunity to make a complete mess of
things. (Why is that guy in the F15 flying so close to me and waving?)
Gene

Old January 9th 05, 12:56 AM

Stan,

The point was not about the model airplane that would conduct the
intercept--but why. It is a little known 'stat' about GPS that since
we got them in little airplane cockpits the frequency of airspace
violations have *increased.* People seem to be getting 'head down and
locked' trying to wade through the many options and pages and modes on
the black box while not noticing what is happening outside, i.e.
penetrating airspace they do not have permission for.

In general you must be correct; ie all of the intercepts I have been
made aware of in recent years involved F16s--including one during Pres.
Regan's funeral that had the F16 driver doing wingovers around our
aircraft as we tooled down the ILS--he was intercepting some poor
gentleman off to our left in a little Ercoupe that had apparently 'not
gotten the word' as the saying goes.

I do know of one gentleman (who, due to his incident became my customer
under the remedial instruction program) who penetrated the restricted
area over Groom Lake, NV and was intercepted by an F15. I suppose it
has something to do with which types are based where.

In either case, it is not something you like to see--military jets
pulling up alongside your flight. I understand it is especially
unnerving if they happen to have other than US markings.

Regards,

Gene

Old January 9th 05, 10:18 AM

Stan,

I was only kidding about the frightening part... little exaggeration.

My closest encounter with a military type was when I came around the
west end of Catalina island at low level, and as I rounded the corner
there was an F16 coming the other way doing the same thing in the other
direction.

It wasn't *that* close (nobody had to maneuver)... and he *did* wave.
Regards,

Gene

Old January 10th 05, 01:21 AM
Stan Gosnell

"J. Severyn" wrote in news:1105314602.934461
@news-1.nethere.net:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/resea...hter/f104g.htm

Yes, you're right, I meant F104. The numbers sometimes blur after 25+
years. ;-)

--
Regards,

Stan
Old January 10th 05, 02:27 AM
Matt Barrow

"Stan Gosnell" wrote in message
"J. Severyn" wrote in news:1105314602.934461
@news-1.nethere.net:

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/resea...hter/f104g.htm

Yes, you're right, I meant F104. The numbers sometimes blur after 25+
years. ;-)

For some of us they blur after 25 _minutes_.

--
Matt